Re:Could this be a clot?

  • SThoyre
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
      Coincidentally, I was just writing about something similar that happened to my Ariel this morning on the CRF-S list. This is what I posted there:

      "My Ariel once got an abscess on her spine that we had no idea about. She is not a rough and tumble kitty but our Aus was and loved to wrestle w/ her. While we didn't know of any tussle they had gotten into, what happened was that one morning, she suddenly couldn't walk -- was dragging her rear quarters actually. When I went to check her out, she managed to scoot away only to hide, trembling, and refused to eat even her most favorite treats. She was a much younger kitty then (maybe 9 or 10?) but I thought for sure she'd thrown a clot. Her vet checked her out thoroughly and found nothing to explain it. Ariel did have severe degenerative joint disease, but as you say w/ Shadow, this was sudden.

      The vet took her in back to use a special light (I think she used a black light on her that showed areas of blood) and found a few scratches on her rear legs and one area on her spine that was slightly puffy and hot. She diagnosed a spinal abscess and put her on Baytril which thank goodness worked - but took 6 wks to totally heal."

      For Ariel, what the area felt like was a slightly puffy area right on her lower spine -- it was fairly subtle unless you put your fingers right there. It was about 1-1 1/2" in diameter as I recall. I'd be concerned about putting the kitty on pred if there is an infection there. Also, if one is going to give pred to a kitty, give prednisolone instead of prednisone as it is likely to be more effective in cats based on a study done in 2004 at Michigan State Univ:
      http://www.vetcontact.com/dermatology/art.php?a=640&t=&f=18
      <<These differences may be due to decreased gastrointestinal absorption of prednisone vs. prednisolone, or to decreased hepatic conversion of prednisone to prednisolone in cats. These data indicate that oral prednisolone is the superior choice for cats.>>

      Stacey