Redundant aorta

  • Lynette A. and her high-maintenance furri
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2008
      A friend of mine recently had chest x-rays of her cat that suggested
      a "redundant aorta".

      We've done some searching and found a few online articles that seem to
      suggest this is relatively common:

      "Forty percent of cats 10 years or older were found to have the
      horizontal cardiac alignment, and 28% had the redundant aorta."

      http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1740-
      8261.1993.tb02011.x

      However, we don't really understand what this is or what it means in
      terms of her cat's health. I tried searching the board for "redundant
      aorta" but didn't find any references.

      Anyone have an explanation/information for us?

      Thanks!
      Lynette