Re:Depression, or something more?

  • Catherine Browning
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi Amanda,

      Thanks for your email. Yet another update from down under. I think
      depression was part of it, if not most of it, but it turns out there
      WAS something else going on. Claude was developing an abscess near
      his spine - just to the right hand side actually, level with his legs.

      The problem with this, apart from the obvious, is ... I now think
      Claude may have inadvertently killed Patch.

      The four babies, and then the three babies after Buttons passed away
      in 2005, all used to play with each other. They would chase each
      other, lurk and jump out, and occasionally grab each other in a
      headlock and give a few kicks. They never meant anything by it - it
      was just play.

      A couple of months ago, when outside, I saw Patch jump Claude from
      behind, wrap his front arms around him upside down, and give him a
      nip on the rump. Claude wriggled, but couldn't get out of it, but
      Patch let him go, so it was all okay.

      I think Patch may have tried the same game again on Wednesday night.
      But this time, Claude got out of it, and it became a front-to-front
      thing. It would explain how Claude got the abscess on his back, and
      also a scratch mark on his chin - he would never let any other cat
      get close enough to get the underneath of his jaw.

      I think that, in play-defending himself, he may have 'rabbit-kicked'
      Patch in the chest, which may have broken up a clot in his heart,
      travelling through the aorta, and ending in his death at the
      Emergency Vet at 4.24am on the Friday morning.

      I can't tell my mum - we shared all four cats, but Buttons and Patch
      attached themselves more closely to me, and Claude and Tuppenny to
      her. But she's really grieving for Patch too, and if she thought for
      a second that her baby boy may have unintentionally precipitated the
      death of my baby boy, that'd be really hard on her.

      I don't have proof of any of this, but it does all seem to fit. It
      would also explain how Patch went from asymptomatic to critically ill
      so very quickly.

      When I let the three young ones into the backyard on Wednesday
      evening around 6pm, they were full of energy - they all RACED out.
      Maybe it was that playfulness that was at fault.

      In any case, Claude's chin and abscess are healing nicely now.
      Claude is spending almost all of his time with me, not with my mum,
      and I do love him, and without proof I'll try to believe that it was
      just Patch's time, that it was a good thing that he was living his
      life so fully right up until the clot, that I wouldn't have wanted to
      see him in a long drawn out illness.

      Claude needs me. Tuppenny needs me. Even the mother cat needs me.
      And I need them.

      *sigh*

      Catherine, Kitty, Claude, Tuppenny
      Topsy-Angel, Buttons-Angel, Patch-Angel.
    • amanda
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
        Awww Catherine, Yes that could be true but as you said, you don`t have any proof, but at the same time, it`s lucky that Patch didn`t suffer long though. Yes you do need them and they need you too, I think it does help to talk about it, even what you just wrote, I went through this with all my cats when they passed and people here really did help me get through it, you will go through guilt, anger, what ifs ect ect and it`s quite normal, we are also here for you, maybe you can post some pics of your cats? if you already have, please let me know and I`ll take a look at them , take care, hugs and purrs , Amanda and Silver chan. P.S; did you try the nattokinase yet on the other cats?

      • Catherine Browning
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "amanda" <white-daisey@...>
          wrote:

          > Awww Catherine, Yes that could be true but as you said, you don`t
          have any proof, but at the same time, it`s lucky that Patch didn`t
          suffer long though. Yes you do need them and they need you too, I
          think it does help to talk about it, even what you just wrote, I went
          through this with all my cats when they passed and people here really
          did help me get through it, you will go through guilt, anger, what
          ifs ect ect and it`s quite normal, we are also here for you, maybe
          you can post some pics of your cats? if you already have, please let
          me know and I`ll take a look at them , take care, hugs and purrs ,
          Amanda and Silver chan. P.S; did you try the nattokinase yet on the
          other cats?

          Hi Amanda,

          Thank you so much for your email. I hope to post pictures of Kitty,
          Buttons, Patch, Claude and Tuppenny into the 'Photos' section later
          today, and also on their Catster pages (from
          http://www.catster.com/cats/242306).

          About the Natto ... it's early morning (well, 7.30am ... it was early
          when I first tried to come into the computer room though!) here and
          when Claude woke up and stretched, he flicked his back right foot as
          if something were stuck in it, which is entirely possible (he may
          have used the litter tray overnight), but which also has me
          concerned. Anyway, I want to get him on Natto until I can find him a
          good doctor, but I don't know how much.

          The Natto I have is "Doctor's Best" 90 capsules, but it doesn't say
          how many mg to a capsule, just 2000FU per capsule, and I don't know
          how many mg he should have anyway, or even how best to give it to
          him ... are they soft capsules? Do I just squeeze it onto his front
          feet? Do I have to stick a clean finger in his mouth (my finger, not
          his ... well, obviously! Forget I just wrote that!)?

          Thanks!

          Catherine the worried momma, and
          Kitty (momma-cat), Claude, Tuppenny,
          Topsy-Angel, Buttons-Angel, Patch-Angel.