Could this be a clot?

  • s_l_toth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
      My friend has a cat - he's about 11 or 12 (Gabe). He lost the use of
      his hind legs. The emergency vet did an x-ray and bloodwork and is
      saying that he has a soft mass on his spine and that it's inflamed.
      He put Gabe on prednisone and told my friend that if Gabe did not walk
      again in 3 days, he'd never walk again. I am going up there as soon
      as I can - I have an electrician here and can't leave until my husband
      gets home.

      I am concerned that it's a clot. Although she said he doesn't seem to
      be in any pain unless she tries to move him. I don't know if the vet
      checked his heart or not. Would a clot show up on an x-ray?

      Needless to say, I'm very concerned about the little guy.

      Sandy and Angels Spunky and Gemma
    • Barbara Kraus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
        A clot should show up on an MRI...

        Not that this is especially relevant, but I woke up one morning and my
        right leg was so painful, I couldn't walk on it. I thought I had torn a
        muscle but my doctor said it could be a blood clot so they got me right
        in for an MRI.

        Best,

        Barbara

        On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, s_l_toth wrote:

        My friend has a cat - he's about 11 or 12 (Gabe). He lost the use of
        his hind legs. The emergency vet did an x-ray and bloodwork and is
        saying that he has a soft mass on his spine and that it's inflamed.
        He put Gabe on prednisone and told my friend that if Gabe did not walk
        again in 3 days, he'd never walk again. I am going up there as soon
        as I can - I have an electrician here and can't leave until my husband
        gets home.

        I am concerned that it's a clot. Although she said he doesn't seem to
        be in any pain unless she tries to move him. I don't know if the vet
        checked his heart or not. Would a clot show up on an x-ray?

        Needless to say, I'm very concerned about the little guy.

        Sandy and Angels Spunky and Gemma

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
          Sandy,

          A while back there was a member in the group that had a kitty that got a blood clot in the spinal cord. I can't remember if it was heart related or not or what eventually became of the matter. If my memory serves me right it was discovered with an MRI and not x-ray. A soft mass sounds much different than a clot. There may be a mass putting pressure on the spinal cord causing the paralysis. The mass could be anything, maybe a ruptured/bulging disc, cancer, benign tumor, etc. I don't know if this helps but it sounds unrelated to the heart with what little you know.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • SThoyre
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
            Coincidentally, I was just writing about something similar that happened to my Ariel this morning on the CRF-S list. This is what I posted there:

            "My Ariel once got an abscess on her spine that we had no idea about. She is not a rough and tumble kitty but our Aus was and loved to wrestle w/ her. While we didn't know of any tussle they had gotten into, what happened was that one morning, she suddenly couldn't walk -- was dragging her rear quarters actually. When I went to check her out, she managed to scoot away only to hide, trembling, and refused to eat even her most favorite treats. She was a much younger kitty then (maybe 9 or 10?) but I thought for sure she'd thrown a clot. Her vet checked her out thoroughly and found nothing to explain it. Ariel did have severe degenerative joint disease, but as you say w/ Shadow, this was sudden.

            The vet took her in back to use a special light (I think she used a black light on her that showed areas of blood) and found a few scratches on her rear legs and one area on her spine that was slightly puffy and hot. She diagnosed a spinal abscess and put her on Baytril which thank goodness worked - but took 6 wks to totally heal."

            For Ariel, what the area felt like was a slightly puffy area right on her lower spine -- it was fairly subtle unless you put your fingers right there. It was about 1-1 1/2" in diameter as I recall. I'd be concerned about putting the kitty on pred if there is an infection there. Also, if one is going to give pred to a kitty, give prednisolone instead of prednisone as it is likely to be more effective in cats based on a study done in 2004 at Michigan State Univ:
            http://www.vetcontact.com/dermatology/art.php?a=640&t=&f=18
            <<These differences may be due to decreased gastrointestinal absorption of prednisone vs. prednisolone, or to decreased hepatic conversion of prednisone to prednisolone in cats. These data indicate that oral prednisolone is the superior choice for cats.>>

            Stacey