Snowball's coughing - I need help using the stethoscope!

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      Snowball started coughing last week and I tried to listen to her
      lungs, but couldn't really hear anything. I'm not sure where to put
      the stethoscope to listen to the lungs...whether on her underside or
      her back. When I put it on her underside, all I hear is her heart
      and it's very prominent murmur. :-( When I put it on her back, the
      sides of her back, I can't really hear anything. The acupuncture
      vet was here on Thursday and she listened and said she didn't hear
      anything like fluid or anything like that, but today Snowball woke
      up from a sound sleep and started coughing and coughed about 25
      times, this kind of "wet", wheezy sounding cough. I'm really
      worried now. This is the second time in a week with this cough and
      she coughed a few times last week, but I thought it was just
      hairball kind of stuff, but now I don't think so. I'm worried that
      there's fluid there.

      She hasn't been feeling well the past week or so... a lot more
      throwing up her food and being lethargic and not interested in
      things, and this is with her being on the Mirtazapine, which usually
      makes her feel pretty good.

      Where exactly do you put the stethoscope to listen to the lungs? I
      really am freaking out. I think I know these things, and then when
      I want to do it, I can't do it and I can't remember how.

      I hope someone is online today who can tell me.

      Thanks,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
        Thanks everyone who wrote about using the stethoscope. I see that
        many of you have difficulty with it too...I don't feel so much like
        a dummy now!

        Snowball had a really bad coughing attach last night and again this
        morning. We had called the vet on Monday but they said they couldn't
        fit us in till Friday! But this morning I asked them if we could
        just bring her in for xrays, we wouldn't have to see the doctor,
        just have the techs do the xrays so we could see if there was any
        fluid in her chest. They said yes that they'd try to fit us in, but
        we'd have to just come and wait, so we went today at noon and sat
        there and waited for two hours! Finally they did the xrays and our
        vet did surface to look at them and talk to us about them. The good
        news is that he didn't see any fluid or anything like that. Bad
        news is that he said her kidneys are so small, he couldn't see them
        on the xrays. That's not good at all. :-( I'm hoping that when the
        radiologist comes on rounds next Tuesday (he only comes every other
        week), that he'll be able to see more about what her kidneys look
        like.

        We also put in a call to the cardiologist to schedule another
        ultrasound. She hasn't had one since last October, so it's time to
        recheck.

        I'm so relieved that there's no fluid in there! I was just losing
        it today watching her cough so badly.

        The vet thinks it is allergies and told us to keep her inside and
        keep the windows closed for a while, get some saline to spray up her
        nose (yeah right!), and let it take it's course. He said we could
        give her some antihistamine, but with her on the Mirtazapine and
        Pepcid that already increase her heart rate and respiration, we
        decided no on that. We're going to put her in the nebulizer chamber
        and nebulize her for a few days. We used to do that with her angel
        Ducky for his chronic respiratory infections and it always helped
        him, so hopefully it'll do the same for Snowball.

        Thanks again for all the support, everyone. Your sharing your
        knowledge really helped us a lot. I love you guys!

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • Azar Attura
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
          Hi Carol-- you have done so many good things for
          Snowball, which have definitely helped to extend and
          augment her quality of life!

          I have a stethoscope that I used for Princess in her
          final weeks. She had such a gentle heart..... I still
          miss her. Always will.

          Ace