Advice on supplements ...

  • grgb
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 7:39 AM
      I want to start my cat that I posted about as being diagnosed
      yesterday with cardiomyopathy ... I never mentioned his name and I'm
      sorry, his name is Seymour ... on supplements.

      I am inclined to get the Vetri-Science Cardio-Strength since it
      offers the most "bang for the buck," and add extra q10 to it as some
      have recommended here.

      But being the weekend, it's probably going to be several days until
      I can get my hands on that.

      At this point is it really critical that I get him on supplements
      immediately, to where I need to go get the individual stuff for now
      and then do the Cardio-Strength later? I'm absolutely willing to do
      that.

      Or as a possible option, is one of the recommended supplements more
      significant than the others to where I might start him on that one
      until the Cardio-Strength arrives?

      Just looking for some direction here and trying to take hold and
      take charge of the situation now that the initial shock and
      devastation of the diagnosis has faded ... and thanks for all the
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31 10:08 AM
        HI,

        If you were going to start him on anything immediately, I'd say start with
        the coenzyme q10. It's the most "important" and you were going to add extra
        anyway. As for starting him right away -- I would. I'd also let the vets
        who treat Seymour know what you're giving him, neither q10 nor
        Vetri-Strength have anything in them that are likely to interact with any
        meds he gets, but it's always a good idea to let them know anyway, just in
        case.

        Lisa

        On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM, grgb <grgb@...> wrote:

        > I want to start my cat that I posted about as being diagnosed
        > yesterday with cardiomyopathy ... I never mentioned his name and I'm
        > sorry, his name is Seymour ... on supplements.

      • Greg Bailey
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31 10:22 AM
          Lisa, it looks like from what I'm reading that most people mix the q10 with the cat's food. The only thing that worries me about that is that Seymour is a nibbler, he'll eat a little bit, walk away, eat a little bit, walk away, etc., and sometimes we end up having to toss out the remnants of what's in his bowl because it's been out too long. He eats well, weighs 12 pounds and could actually stand to lose a wee bit because he's very fleshy around the belly, but again he's a nibbler ... and this is the weird thing, it's always been a running joke with us, he wants someone to watch him eat, if we come into the kitchen where his bowls are, he'll run in and start nibbling, and when we leave he stops.

          Would it be OK to drain the q10 ... I believe those are softgels containing liquid ... and maybe just administer it straight like with a syringe or dropper? I don't know if it has a taste or anything, but I'm thinking that way I can make sure he's getting it, if it's bitter, etc., then I can try to shoot it down his throat before he has a chance to taste it.

          > If you were going to start him on anything immediately,
          > I'd say start with
          > the coenzyme q10. It's the most "important"
          > and you were going to add extra
          > anyway. As for starting him right away -- I would.
          > I'd also let the vets
          > who treat Seymour know what you're giving him, neither
          > q10 nor
          > Vetri-Strength have anything in them that are likely to
          > interact with any
          > meds he gets, but it's always a good idea to let them
          > know anyway, just in
          > case.
          >
          > Lisa
          >
          > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM, grgb
          > <grgb@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I want to start my cat that I posted about as being
          > diagnosed
          > > yesterday with cardiomyopathy ... I never mentioned
          > his name and I'm
          > > sorry, his name is Seymour ... on supplements.

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31 7:19 PM
            Snowball is the same way with the nibbling. Sometimes I just "pill"
            her with the CoQ10, sometimes if she's having a particularly bad tummy
            day with spewing, I'll mix the contents in a tiny wad of food and
            she'll usually eat all of that. I use only about 1/2 teaspoon of her
            canned food and add a tiny bit of water (Snowball's not a very good
            plate licker...always leaves something if it sticks to the plate).

            The liquid gels of CoQ10 are a really thick, sticky substance. At
            least the Jarrow one I tried was that way. It might not work to try
            to syringe it, 'cause so much of it would stick to the inside of the
            syringe.

            Funny you talk about him wanting you to watch him eat...Snowball will
            walk away from her food if she catches us watching her! So I'm always
            peaking around the corner of the doorway to see if she's done before I
            walk into the room! LOL!

            Carol and Snowball and the gang

            it looks like from what I'm reading that most people mix the q10 with
            the cat's food. The only thing that worries me about that is that
            Seymour is a nibbler, he'll eat a little bit, walk away, eat a little
            bit, walk away, etc.,

            and this is the weird thing, it's always been a running joke with us,
            he wants someone to watch him eat, if we come into the kitchen where
            his bowls are, he'll run in and start nibbling, and when we leave he
            stops.

          • Don
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
              What's a good dose for q10? I think I want to add it to Milo's food
              but is this a once a day thing or do I give it several times per day?
              Thanks,
              Don & Milo