Re: [FH] Blood Test

  • Donald Yee
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29 10:40 AM
      Hi Si.
      Our Milo developed HCM and a 3-4/6 murmur soon after being diagnosed
      with renal failure. He is doing really well (tomorrow is the 3 month
      anniversary of his CRF diagnosis) and seems to be back to normal. It
      does take some effort on our part, with the pills and subQ fluids, but
      he is worth it. I would suggest that when you get a copy of his blood
      values you post them on the CRF support site. The people there really
      know their stuff and you will get help. You are not alone.
      Don & Milo

      On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:32 PM, tudeski2007 <tudeski2007@...> wrote:
      > Hi board. Just wanna say thanks for all the advice and help you have
      > given me since Boris was diagnosed with HCM. Its been a great help.
      > Took Boris for his blood test today, and the results were not good.
      > His blood test show that there is a problem with his kidney. ( I dont
      > have the exact figures ). I wondered if there was a problem as Boris
      > did weigh 7.4kg two months ago, now he weighs 6.8 despite eating like
      > a pig!! Anyway the Vet is starting him on a special diet to see if
      > that helps the blood figures stabalise
      >
      > I fear that the furusemide he is on( 20mg 3 times a day,) is not
      > helping him, but it's seems to be the dose which keeps him stable, if
      > he has two a day, his breathing rate goes sky high!!!.
      >
      > I was just wondering if there was anything else out there which would
      > help his lung clearing, as I think the furusemide is not doing him
      > any good in the long term!!
      >
      > Any advice would be greatfully appreciated, as I dont wanna lose
      > Boris to Kidney failure, when he is doing so well with his heart
      > disease.
      >
      > Many many thanks
      >
      > Si

    • gill7penny
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2009
        Hi. I just wanted to say thank you to Jean, Kristen and Amber for their info on the blood test. It helped knowing what to expect. Unfortunately though it wasn't a success. We had to wait almost 20 minutes before we were called in by which time Sasha was very anxious. The nurse and I held her while the vet shaved the neck which took a long time as Sasha kept trying to wriggle free. When the needle went in she leapt out of the nurse's grip and almost came off the table. So they wrapped her in a towel and tried to take blood from her paw after more shaving. But they couldn't get any blood out so we all agreed not to continue. Although her breathing is quite a bit faster at the moment, Sasha seems to have recovered since being at home again. But I really don't feel it is worth putting her through any more tests considering the anxious type of cat she is. Our other cat Snoopy has gone through much worse on occasions at the vets but is so laid back he just lets them get on with it. It is just a shame Sasha isn't of the same disposition.

        Gill and Sasha