Re: sub-q

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2008
      hi Joanna,

      When we first started Snowball on fluids, we did 100mls every other
      day, but she continued to be dehydrated, so we up'd it to every day.
      Sometimes we give her a little less, 75mls, depending on her
      hydration. We're always aware of what her heart rate and respiration
      are, and if they're getting up there, we give her less fluids or maybe
      on a day they seem too high, no fluids at all. It's all very
      individual for each kitty. One thing to consider is how much your
      kitty weighs. Smaller kitties like Snowball (only 7lbs 10 oz)
      shouldn't get more than 100mls a day. A larger cat may be able to
      handle more, but all the years I've had CRF/HCM kitties (Sweetie in
      2003, Chris last year and now Snowball), we've never given more than
      100 a day and with Chris never more than 50 a day some days when he
      was bad.

      If you can get Sammy to drink more water, that will help too. We put
      a lot of water in Snowball's food, so she's kind of eating "soup" most
      of the time. She doesn't seem to mind and she gets at least 2 oz more
      fluid a day with what she drinks in her food.

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang