Re: [FH] Interesting article that mentions CHF, IBD and steroid use

  • psychoforkaatz
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 4:11 AM
      My girl Tiger died in 2006 due to CHF, she was misdiagnosed with
      asthma and was treated with steroids and fluids, and my vet was
      clueless. I wish I had known there was a possibility she had heart
      disease but my vet never thought of it. I took it upon myself to
      learn all I could and am glad I did as Josie was diagnosed less than
      a year later with HCM. Josie was also misdiagnosed with CRF for which
      we gave her fluids which she soon couldnt tolerate, and had already
      been being treated for IBD. I did short 3 day courses of pred when
      she had flareups but refused to go the longer route til I had
      explored all other options. Now I know it was not CRF but kidney
      stones and she also has had cholangiohepatitus and hepadic
      encephalopathies (thought to be strokes at the time)and a morning she
      almost died of a heart attack which I now believe was an acute
      pancreatic attack. Her medicine regime is complicated as each one can
      affect the other condition so we have to pick and choose carefully.

      Kendall and Josie (who is feeling a bit listless right now going over
      another bump in her road and needs warm thoughts for continued
      strength.)

      -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...>
      wrote:

      > I just read this article and WOW! it may explain our Max's terrific
      condition; I hope so. If anyone has a cat who may have gone into
      heart failure after steroid use, please read this...it's pretty
      amazing and offers a lot of hope for a good recovery. thanks to
      Cindy for sending it...Judi and Max (and John and Angle Cleo)

      > To: feline-heart@...: challigan2@...: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:24:42 -
      0400Subject: [FH] Interesting article that mentions CHF, IBD and
      steroid use

      > Hi everyone, I came across this article that discusses heart
      failure, IBD and
      steroids.http://www.harpsie.com/colitis_ibd.htm#ibd_treatmentsCindy