Interesting article that mentions CHF, IBD and steroid use

  • C. Halligan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I came across this article that discusses heart failure, IBD and steroids.

      http://www.harpsie.com/colitis_ibd.htm#ibd_treatments

      Cindy

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2008
        I just read this article and WOW! it may explain our Max's terrific condition; I hope so. If anyone has a cat who may have gone into heart failure after steroid use, please read this...it's pretty amazing and offers a lot of hope for a good recovery. thanks to Cindy for sending it...Judi and Max (and John and Angle Cleo)

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: challigan2@...: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:24:42 -0400Subject: [FH] Interesting article that mentions CHF, IBD and steroid use

      • psychoforkaatz
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2008
          My girl Tiger died in 2006 due to CHF, she was misdiagnosed with
          asthma and was treated with steroids and fluids, and my vet was
          clueless. I wish I had known there was a possibility she had heart
          disease but my vet never thought of it. I took it upon myself to
          learn all I could and am glad I did as Josie was diagnosed less than
          a year later with HCM. Josie was also misdiagnosed with CRF for which
          we gave her fluids which she soon couldnt tolerate, and had already
          been being treated for IBD. I did short 3 day courses of pred when
          she had flareups but refused to go the longer route til I had
          explored all other options. Now I know it was not CRF but kidney
          stones and she also has had cholangiohepatitus and hepadic
          encephalopathies (thought to be strokes at the time)and a morning she
          almost died of a heart attack which I now believe was an acute
          pancreatic attack. Her medicine regime is complicated as each one can
          affect the other condition so we have to pick and choose carefully.

          Kendall and Josie (who is feeling a bit listless right now going over
          another bump in her road and needs warm thoughts for continued
          strength.)

          -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...>
          wrote:

          > I just read this article and WOW! it may explain our Max's terrific
          condition; I hope so. If anyone has a cat who may have gone into
          heart failure after steroid use, please read this...it's pretty
          amazing and offers a lot of hope for a good recovery. thanks to
          Cindy for sending it...Judi and Max (and John and Angle Cleo)

          > To: feline-heart@...: challigan2@...: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:24:42 -
          0400Subject: [FH] Interesting article that mentions CHF, IBD and
          steroid use