Re: [FH] Re: Appetite stimulants, useful experience

  • C. Halligan
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2008
      Although my heart kitty does not have IBD thank god, I do have a kitty with IBD. She was given cyproheptadine to stimulate her appetite and an antacid. Neither worked for her and she her IBD got worse. She was on prednisone for a while and I recently weened her off because I do not like what it will do to her long term. She gets bi-weekly homeopathic injections with 5mg of dexamethasone (another steroid, similar to prednisone) and this seems to be working (cross your fingers).
      I certainly hope my heart kitty does not develop this nasty disease. There was talk in this forum of an IBD group. Can someone provide me with the link so I can talk with others about IBD/IBS? Thanks and I hope your kitties are doing well.

      Cindy
      Message 2 of 21 , May 3, 2008
        hi Cindy,

        Here's a link to one IBD group I found.

        Carol and Snowball and the gang

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "C. Halligan" <challigan2@...>
        wrote:
        There was talk in this forum of an IBD group. Can someone provide me
        with the link so I can talk with others about IBD/IBS? Thanks and I
        hope your kitties are doing well.

        > Cindy
      • rzivorad
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2008
          Hi Cindy!

          I am little experienced in IBD, my cat was ill with it 5 years ago.
          It's nice to be the member of some forum, but there are both
          knowledgeable and also not so knowledgeable people there. If you want to
          learn of something, then learn from an expert. Here is a link to an
          article written by expert, it will help you much about IBD:

          http://maxshouse.com/inflammatory_bowel_disease.htm

          I think you were wrong when you stopped administering corticosteroids,
          you'll see why when you read this article.

          I am sorry, I know this message has nothing in common with heart
          diseases, but I see that cats of many people here , besides heart
          problems, also have problems with IBD. This article is worth reading!

          Many regards, Deda
        • C. Halligan
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2008
            Hi Deda,

            Thank you for the article. I read it and unfortunately I have read similar findings/statements before. I am wary about using terms such as 'expert' because of the perspectives these people tend to hold. Many allopathics are ignorant of homeopathic methods. Supportive methods were not mentioned such as including probiotics after antibiotic use.

            The ontology of veterinary medicine conflicts with non-allopathic methods and it doesn't help that pharmaceutical companies provide the capitalistic framework for educating future veterinarians and the maintenance of the vet system.

            Anyway, do I think that I was wrong to stop Chloe's steroid? I did it properly, ie. weening her off of it. For now, I am trying periodic injections of dexamethasone including homeopathic means. Do they work against each other? Theoretically yes but if I do not administer both the long term affects of the steroid use may occur more quickly.

            Thank you again Deda for the article. I think it succinctly articulates this nasty disease.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2008
              Hi Cindy!

              I use the term expert to indicate person who is the most knowledgeable
              in some area. No doubt that Mr Douglas Bronstad deserves that. The
              therapy which is described in the article cured my cat from IBD!
              Homeopathic methods didn't work, dietary changes failed completely.
              Generally, you are quite right about pharmaceutical companies. You share
              opinion with my son (or vice versa), who avers that pharmaceutical
              companies don't want to discover medications which will really cure most
              of known diseases (instead of just keeping us alive), because then they
              can't sell us these (unduly expensive) medications.

              I think that, in the case of IBD, probiotics supplement wasn't mentioned
              deliberately, because in IBD gut flora (consisting of bacteria, of
              course) usually overgrows, and my attack liver and pancreas through
              common bile duct. The goal is to suppress it, not to recover it. In most
              cases of cholangiohepatitis, there is concurrent IBD present.

              When I told you that it was wrong to discontinue corticosteroids, it
              wasn't because I thought you did it too fast. It was because you said
              that you had done it fearing of adverse effects. That's not good reason,
              because when the therapy is discontinued too early, recurrence can take
              place. Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't have
              serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term use of
              prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect (it
              could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that even
              long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets, which
              articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.

              All in all, I appreciate your message and I enjoyed reading it! Thank
              you.

              Many regards from Deda

            • katy4282003
              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                actually you are wrong to say that long term use of steroids dont
                have serious adverse effects of cats. steroids lower immunity thus
                making the cat unable to fight infection just like in people. the
                risk for diabeties and ulcers are also increased. steroids can
                exacerbate heart disease. many experienced vets also give yearly
                vaccinations but we know that isnt safe for our pets. i am glad to
                hear that your cat hasnt had adverse reactions to steroids but that
                is not always the case and steroids should be used with caution in my
                opinion.
                >^..^<
                katy & belle

                > When I told you that it was wrong to discontinue corticosteroids, it
                > wasn't because I thought you did it too fast. It was because you
                said
                > that you had done it fearing of adverse effects. That's not good
                reason,
                > because when the therapy is discontinued too early, recurrence can
                take
                > place. Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't
                have
                > serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term
                use of
                > prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect
                (it
                > could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that
                even
                > long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets,
                which
                > articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.
                >
                > All in all, I appreciate your message and I enjoyed reading it!
                Thank
                > you.
                >
                > Many regards from Deda

              • toomany_kittys
                Message 7 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                  Hi Deda,

                  Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't have
                  > serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term use
                  of
                  > prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect (it
                  > could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that even
                  > long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets,
                  which
                  > articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.

                  I have to strongly dispute the statement above as I have a much
                  different experience with my kitty Jasmin and prednisolone.
                  Jasmin, 3 yrs old now, has a neurological condition called
                  demylineating neuropathy. It is an auto-immune disease that came
                  immediately after the FeLV vax and anaesthesia/spay done at the same
                  time with a previous caregiver. This was diagnosed by a neurologist.
                  The symptoms are severe ataxia, eventual limb paralysis, twitching,
                  thin coat, etc.. Of course her people then returned her to a shelter.
                  The only allopathic treatment is prednisolone. The neurologist put her
                  on a six mth treatment course of it. She is still on it after one year.
                  He told me of side effects. She has them. Her bladder walls have
                  thickened (common side effect), debris in her urine. It also is very
                  hard on the heart and her heart is checked periodically. She is being
                  weaned off of it but damage has been done by prolonged prednisolone
                  therapy. It did however, relieve the symptoms for the most part until
                  recently.
                  Now she goes to an integrative vet, along with the neurologist and we
                  will be trying alternative methods and supplements.
                  I truly wish that I'd never agreed to her being put on the prednisolone
                  for a prolonged period of time.
                  I'm glad the pred worked for your little one with no side effects. My
                  experience with it is the opposite.
                  El
                • psychoforkaatz
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                    The use of steroids for IBD cats is really a cat by cat decision. I
                    have been a member of the IBD group for about a year although since
                    Josie was also diagnosed with heart disease I havent been there much. I
                    am glad that I personally chose to steer away from the use of regular
                    steroids as they would be detrimental to Josies heart condition, they
                    promote fluid retention and Josie has been having serious problems with
                    that lately. I use supplements and food changes and most recently a
                    long course of antibiotics to help with a recurring underlying
                    infection and Josie's IBD is much better. She was not a regular vomiter
                    but had constant diarreah. I think the food changes helped her the
                    most. So while many people have no choice after trying everything else,
                    to use steroids, each case is different and I think the fewer meds we
                    can get by using the better. I already spend 24/7 administering meds,
                    supplements and feedings to Josie, its a good thing I have no life.....

                    Kendall and Josie
                  • shannon5@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                      Hi Deda,
                      I have been a member of this list for almost 6 years and I cannot tell you how many people have joined because of a cat in heart failure following a steriod shot. I think heart failure qualifies as a serious side effect.
                      Shannon
                      ---- rzivorad <rzivorad@...> wrote:

                      > place. Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't have
                      > serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term use of
                      > prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect (it
                      > could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that even
                      > long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets, which
                      > articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.
                      > Many regards from Deda
                    • C. Halligan
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                        Hi Deda,

                        Thank you for your comments. It is good to hear that your cat no longer has IBD. Just curious...Is kitty still using the steroid?

                        I actually had been weening Chloe very very slowly off the prednisone (about 2.5 months). She recently saw her integrative vet and she said that the steroid will be damaging her at a cellular level or a level that we cannot see at this time and will not see until it is too late. Vets jump on steroids because as a last resort they are wonder drugs BUT long term the effects are usually devastating, among Cushing's disease being the worst.

                        I am back to square one with food elimination and hoping the supplements will work. Cindy

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                          Hi El!

                          I can't argue, your experience obviously shows that those vets, whose
                          articles on the use of corticosteroids I have read, are deeply wrong.
                          Maybe we could discuss whether it is some coincidence, but I see that
                          there are many other people with the same experience. Unfortunately,
                          there are many occasions when corticosteroids must be used, especially
                          in cats, because they are so prone to immune mediated disorders.
                          Luckily, there is alternatives to corticosteroids. Those are
                          azathioprine and cyclosporine, but it seems that corticosteroids are
                          very popular among many authors, so one can heavily find
                          recommendations of proper dosages of these two. I am sure that vets
                          also have that problem. Besides, side effects of these two
                          alternatives are pretty unknown, especially when cats are in question.

                          When we talk about therapy for IBD, it is not real long-term use of
                          prednisone, because it usually last only 8 weeks.

                          Thanks for your mail, it's worth to have information of such experience.

                          Many regards from Deda
                        • rzivorad
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                            No, she doesn't use them any more. It was long ago (in 2003), and she
                            was cured by means of therapy that was described in the article I
                            mentioned. It lasted only 8 weeks. Since then she never had any
                            problem of that kind. It was enteritis, inflammation of small bowel,
                            and was manifested as so-called small bowel diarrhea (diarrhea which
                            consists of undigested food, smelling like the food that was eaten).

                            By the way, I prefer the term corticosteroids, in order to
                            differentiate them from anabolic steroid, which are really dangerous
                            medications.

                            Many regards from Deda
                          • rzivorad
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                              Hi Katy!

                              I have received some more mails in which their posters aver similar
                              things. I can't argue with that, neither I want to advocate the use of
                              corticosteroids. I accept every experience with respect.
                              Unfortunately, many authors whose articles on the use of
                              corticosteroids I have read say what I said. I also read statements
                              similar to mine on some forums. It is obvious that one has to collect
                              as much experiences as possible. When you say that corticosteroids
                              lower immunity, bear in mind that that is the goal of the therapy for
                              immune mediated diseases (like IBD). Low immunity at that period can
                              be (and usually is) compensated by concurrent use of antibiotics. We
                              can discuss adverse effects on heart and other organs, but immunity
                              must be lowered in the case of immune mediated diseases.

                              Thanks for your mail. It will help me to consider the use of
                              corticosteroids more carefully next time.

                              Kindest regards, Deda
                            • toomany_kittys
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                                Deda,
                                Thank you for your post and the information.
                                Prednisolone, when given at a high dose and then weaned , i.e. in 6
                                mths can sometimes suppress the auto-immune disease symptoms for
                                months or years. This is done for many humans also with Multiple
                                Sclerosis when symptoms are severe. This was the neurologist's plan.
                                The vet had a different plan to wean slower and maybe not at all,
                                depending on any return of symptoms.
                                Cyclosporine and Azathiopine aren't used in this manner. They are
                                used continually for life duration. They are also not without serious
                                adverse affects.
                                Currently, Jasmin the cat is being given hydrocortisone alternatively
                                with the pred to wean her off the pred. It isn't as strong and has
                                lesser side affects. She is also on an adrenal support for the next
                                3 - 6 mths. The integrative vet has found that diseases that respond
                                quickly to pred often involve the adrenal glands.

                                I'm glad the IBD resolved itself with your cat. The yellow soft stool
                                does indicate undigested food - the yellow is bile. Were you giving
                                her digestive enzymes? Pancreatic enzymes? supplements for gut
                                health? I recently had a cat have acute pancreatitis and the yellow
                                stool that you speak of and within 3 weeks her stool was back to
                                normal, as were her pancreatic numbers, etc.. She was given an herbal
                                formula with digestive enzymes, adrenal support, immune support, etc.
                                and the problem resolved very quickly. (I have many foster cats)

                                Sometimes drugs are absolutely necessary, but often there are better
                                solutions.

                                El

                                -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "rzivorad" <rzivorad@...> wrote:

                                > Hi El!
                                >
                                > I can't argue, your experience obviously shows that those vets,
                                whose
                                > articles on the use of corticosteroids I have read, are deeply
                                wrong.
                                > Maybe we could discuss whether it is some coincidence, but I see
                                that
                                > there are many other people with the same experience. Unfortunately,
                                > there are many occasions when corticosteroids must be used,
                                especially
                                > in cats, because they are so prone to immune mediated disorders.
                                > Luckily, there is alternatives to corticosteroids. Those are
                                > azathioprine and cyclosporine, but it seems that corticosteroids are
                                > very popular among many authors, so one can heavily find
                                > recommendations of proper dosages of these two. I am sure that vets
                                > also have that problem. Besides, side effects of these two
                                > alternatives are pretty unknown, especially when cats are in
                                question.

                                > When we talk about therapy for IBD, it is not real long-term use of
                                > prednisone, because it usually last only 8 weeks.
                                >
                                > Thanks for your mail, it's worth to have information of such
                                experience.

                                > Many regards from Deda

                              • rzivorad
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 9, 2008
                                  Hi El!

                                  I believe that autoimmune diseases, all of which respond to
                                  prednisolone or other corticosteroids, always involve adrenal glands.
                                  Adrenal glands produce natural corticosteroid cortisol, which has
                                  immunosuppresive effect (among many other). It is pretty normal to
                                  suppose that there would never be autoimmune diseases if adrenal
                                  glands worked well so, being insufficiently active, they are always
                                  involved in immune mediated diseases.

                                  I must disagree about azathioprine and cyclosporine. They are
                                  immunosuppressors and are used like other immunosuppressive drugs, but
                                  with much stronger effects and, unfortunately, worse adverse effects.
                                  In cats, they are used in severe cases of lymphocytic
                                  cholangiohepatitis, feline herpetic keratitis, immune-mediated
                                  hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenia and so on, when respond
                                  to corticosteroid therapy is poor.

                                  There was no need for pancreatic enzymes supplement. It is used in the
                                  case of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency (which is rare in cats), and
                                  is contraindicated in acute pancreatitis. This is heart group, so we
                                  shouldn't "talk" about pancreatitis or IBD, but her stool was typical
                                  small-bowel diarrhea, not just loose, pale and greasy stool like in
                                  pancreatic insufficiency.

                                  I strongly believe in medications. When disease develops, there is no
                                  time for the use of less dangerous methods. Those methods must be
                                  applied on a long-term basis, and are irreplaceable for preserving
                                  health, but in the cases of serious diseases.

                                  < I'm glad the IBD resolved itself with your cat. >

                                  Thanks!

                                  Many regards from Deda
                                • toomany_kittys
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 9, 2008
                                    Deda,
                                    My original stmt is below. This refers to auto immune diseases such
                                    as demylineating neuopathy which Jasmin has. As I stated,
                                    prednisolone is used in a very high dose for a short duration which
                                    then often suppresses the symptoms for years - not in lower doses for
                                    life. The below drugs aren't used in this manner for this condition -
                                    in extremely high dose for short duration. Please note my original
                                    stmt below 'They are not without serious adverse affects.'

                                    Cyclosporine and Azathiopine aren't used in this manner. They are
                                    used continually for life duration. They are also not without serious
                                    adverse affects.

                                    > I must disagree about azathioprine and cyclosporine. They are
                                    > immunosuppressors and are used like other immunosuppressive drugs,
                                    but
                                    > with much stronger effects and, unfortunately, worse adverse
                                    effects.
                                    > In cats, they are used in severe cases of lymphocytic
                                    > cholangiohepatitis, feline herpetic keratitis, immune-mediated
                                    > hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenia and so on, when
                                    respond
                                    > to corticosteroid therapy is poor.

                                    If I recall correctly, you brought up the IBD. Believe me, the stool
                                    from pancreatic insufficiency is not always 'just loose, pale and
                                    greasy'.

                                    This is heart group, so we
                                    > shouldn't "talk" about pancreatitis or IBD, but her stool was
                                    typical
                                    > small-bowel diarrhea, not just loose, pale and greasy stool like in
                                    > pancreatic insufficiency.

                                    I completely disagree with the stmt below. In an emergency situation,
                                    medications are often important but not always 'when disease
                                    develops'. Yes, medications are important for some diseases but with
                                    many, such as IBD, alternative treatments such as accupuncture,
                                    Chinese Herbal medicines, supplements, etc. and diet changes work
                                    very well. The methods don't have to applied on a long-term basis. My
                                    HCM kitty had IBD (both diagnosed by ultrasound), and we successfully
                                    used alternative methods. He no longer needs the accupuncture nor the
                                    Chinese Herbal meds for it. The IBD has resolved itself.
                                    Also, for HCM have you read the recent post where the one cat who
                                    reacted adversely to Atenolol has had improvement with the supplement
                                    Cardio Strength? At some point, he will probably require meds, but
                                    the supplement has reversed the disease process to a degree.

                                    > I strongly believe in medications. When disease develops, there is
                                    no
                                    > time for the use of less dangerous methods. Those methods must be
                                    > applied on a long-term basis, and are irreplaceable for preserving
                                    > health, but in the cases of serious diseases.

                                    You're right, this is a heart group. If you would like to further
                                    this discussion, feel free to email me.

                                    El