Appetite stimulants, useful experience

  • rzivorad
    Message 1 of 21 , May 2, 2008
      Hi again, Andrea!

      I also send this mail as public, supposing that somebody else has
      problem with his/her cat's poor appetite.

      I have forgotten appetite stimulant in my previous male. It is well
      known to me how great problem presents feeding the cat who doesn't
      want to eat. I use Remeron (it is antidepressant, its generic name is
      mirtazapine), the dose is 0.4mg/kg of body weight. Problem with
      Remeron is that it comes in pretty large tablets (15mg, 30mg and so
      on), so it is hard to divide it into small pieces of 1.5-2mg for an
      average cat. Ask some pharmacist if he/she can prepare dosages for
      your cat (it is so-called compounding pharmacy). Remeron is given only
      twice a week, because it remains long time in cat's body.
      Other medication which you can try is easier to apply, because it
      comes in 4mg tablets. Total dose for a cat is 1mg, so it must be
      divided in quarters. It's generic name is cyproheptadine (Americans
      know it under brand name Periactin), it is antihistamine and is given,
      usually, once daily, but it may happen that your cat has to have it
      only once in few days, that is individual. If you notice that 1mg
      dosage is too high (cat is very agitated), you should lessen it until
      you find proper dose for your cat.

      Keep in mind that both medications cause agitation in cats, but don't
      worry about it, you just have to establish the dose which your cat
      tolerates best, while appetite is still increased.

      Best wishes from Deda
    • psychoforkaatz
      Message 2 of 21 , May 2, 2008
        Cyproheptadine is the name of the appetite stimulant I referred to in
        my last email. This drug was prescribed to my heart kitty
        (misdiagnosed as asthma, heart issues were unknown at the time), it
        was prescribed in an extreme overdose and nearly killed my kitty. I
        think it did damage to her heart that led to her subsequent death.

        That being said, many people I know on other lists, such as kidney
        and IBD, do use appetite stimulants with great success, including
        cypro. HOWEVER, you must seriously weigh the risks of giving any of
        these stimulants to a heart kitty as they are not recommended. They
        are stimulants and can raise the heart rate as well as a host of
        other side effects. Even Pepcid which many doctors suggest for upset
        tummy is not recommended for heart kitties. I am going by the
        information that comes as inserts with the drugs, and regarding the
        appetite stimulants, various vets who say they should not be given.

        My Josie is going thru loss of appetite issues right now, I think due
        to aspirin. She also has IBD and other multiple issues so appetite is
        a frequent problem. I use Slippery Elm Bark syrup which soothes the
        tummy (it is not an appetite stimulant but helps make the tummy not
        upset which can increase appetite), and I just keep trying foods and
        assist feed her to jump start her appetite again. Anything I can to
        get her eating. I found out that most of the time she loses her
        appetite it is due to an underlying infection and after a course of
        antibiotics she regains her appetite. Some AB's do upset the tummy
        too, we have had good luck with Zeniquin, not such good luck with
        amoxicillin or clavamox.

        I hope this helps. Anyone who has a heart kitty that uses appetite
        stimulants please feel free to weigh in here.

        Good luck,
        Kendall and Josie

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "rzivorad" <rzivorad@...> wrote:

        > Hi again, Andrea!
        >
        > I also send this mail as public, supposing that somebody else has
        > problem with his/her cat's poor appetite.
        >
        > I have forgotten appetite stimulant in my previous male. It is well
        > known to me how great problem presents feeding the cat who doesn't
        > want to eat. I use Remeron (it is antidepressant, its generic name
        is
        > mirtazapine), the dose is 0.4mg/kg of body weight. Problem with
        > Remeron is that it comes in pretty large tablets (15mg, 30mg and so
        > on), so it is hard to divide it into small pieces of 1.5-2mg for an
        > average cat. Ask some pharmacist if he/she can prepare dosages for
        > your cat (it is so-called compounding pharmacy). Remeron is given
        only
        > twice a week, because it remains long time in cat's body.
        > Other medication which you can try is easier to apply, because it
        > comes in 4mg tablets. Total dose for a cat is 1mg, so it must be
        > divided in quarters. It's generic name is cyproheptadine (Americans
        > know it under brand name Periactin), it is antihistamine and is
        given,
        > usually, once daily, but it may happen that your cat has to have it
        > only once in few days, that is individual. If you notice that 1mg
        > dosage is too high (cat is very agitated), you should lessen it
        until
        > you find proper dose for your cat.
        >
        > Keep in mind that both medications cause agitation in cats, but
        don't
        > worry about it, you just have to establish the dose which your cat
        > tolerates best, while appetite is still increased.
        >
        > Best wishes from Deda

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 21 , May 2, 2008
          I struggle with this all the time with Snowball who besides HCM also
          has IBD, chronic pancreatitis, hyperthyroid and CRF. Snowball is so
          nauseated all the time, really - 24 hours a day - that she just won't
          ever eat on her own without the drugs... which I hate.

          We tried Cyproheptadine, and it worked so-so for the eating, but she
          was still nauseated and throwing up all the time. And, yes, it did
          raise her heart rate and respiration.

          In March we started using the Mirtazapine, which is also an anti-
          nausea med in addition to being an appetite stimulant. The
          Cyproheptadine is only a stimulant. We call it Meow-tazapine, because
          Snowball gets very meowy and "happy" the first day on it. I cut the
          tablets down into teeny tiny 1/16th pieces...the dose the vet gave us
          was 1/4 of a 15mg tablet, but after reading through the pancreatitis
          and CRF groups' archives, most people get by with the 1/16 to 1/8 of a
          tablet, so that's what we gave Snowball.

          The Mirtazapine we give every 72 hours, and the first day she feels
          really pretty okay, will eat well and acts like her old self without
          any nausea to speak of...but the next two days aren't as good and
          sometimes getting through those next two days is like she didn't even
          get the Mirtazapine. Sometimes it only works for one day and the rest
          of the time till the next dose, she feels crummy.

          The Mirtazapine also raises her heart rate and respiration. Her
          sleeping/resting heart rate is 160 to 200 and her respiration is 28 to
          32...and that's when she's asleep! So that part of it does worry me,
          but seriously...without the Mirtazapine she just won't eat at all and
          her nausea and vomiting wipe her out.

          We've tried slippery elm bark for Snowball, actually still give it to
          her every night to get her through the wee hours of the mornings when
          her tummy seems to be the worst, but by itself, it didn't do the trick
          for her.

          We also do give her the Pepcid (sigh)... and that raises the heart
          rate too... so we're slowly trying to wean her off of it, reducing her
          dose slowly over the course of however long it takes to get down to
          nothing, to see if she can be without that one at least.

          While I'm not usually one to advocate drugs, because I do like to try
          to treat things holistically, sometimes there just isn't a benign way
          to deal with the symptoms...and I say that again, "treat the
          symptoms", because that's all we're doing. We're not "healing"
          or "curing" anything, only covering up a symptom of what's really
          going on, and that part of it bothers me too...because I know that
          even though Snowball may "feel better" on the Mirtazapine, I know it's
          not doing anything to "cure" her IBD or pancreatitis, which are the
          biggest concerns for her right now. But on the other hand, I can't
          let her feel so bad all the time just because I don't like using the
          drugs...so I weigh one against the other all the time and choose to
          give her the Mirtazapine and hope every day that it's not destroying
          her heart too much.

          It's definitely a serious sitation with heart kitties, giving them
          appetite stimulants and things like Pepcid. I'm always in the back of
          my mind, worrying what it's doing to her heart.

          If I could get Snowball to not be nauseated all the time and get her
          to eat without the stimulants, I would rather have it that way.

          hugs,
          Carol and Snowball and the gang

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "psychoforkaatz"

          Message 4 of 21 , May 2, 2008
            I can completely understand your struggle. And I realize that
            sometimes you have to make choices, which is of course why I did not
            say not to use these meds but to weigh the risks and benefits which
            obviously you have to do on a daily basis. I empathize with you
            having to watch Snowball go thru all this.

            Just a note, Josie has IBD and possibly even pancreatitis and the
            rest except the CRF which turned out to be infections from kidney
            stones. I kept thinking that there was an underlying infection going
            on and I was right. We put her on a month of Zenequin (antibiotic)and
            her appetite issues and diarreah and spitting up, kidney and liver
            numbers (Oh yeah, cholangiohepatitis too)normalized. After being off
            it for two months, her kidney numbers went up again so back on the
            zenequin due to kidney infection, afterwards due to blood in the
            urine we found out she had stones via xray. We are going to pulse her
            on and off the antibiotics every few months as it seems infection is
            actually what is causing most of her problems, including what we
            thought at first were clot related heart attack and three strokes
            which I now believe were a pancreatic attack and hepatic
            encephalopathy (she went aggressive and mental like a stroke but due
            to infection reaching her brain). So for anyone who has just gone by
            what their vets told them and it was more guesswork than proof (like
            I did), trust your instincts. If I hadnt my cat would not be alive
            right now but I kept telling my vet I suspected infection and amoxi
            for two weeks just didnt cut it. She is a different cat after the
            longterm AB's.

            Kendall and Josie (who now has lost her appetite due to the aspirin I
            think!)

            Message 5 of 21 , May 3, 2008
              As I told, I use mirtazapine at the dosage of 0.4mg/kg body weight
              (exactly 0.37mg/kg which equals 0.17mg/lb). It is really small dosage
              and I don't see any change except slight agitation, though I must
              admit that I didn't control my cat's heart rate after administration
              of mirtazapine. She has dilated cardiomyopathy, but she also acquired
              hepatic disease, lost appetite and that all finished with hepatic
              lipidosis. She recovered from it, but still there are moments when she
              refuses to eat. What else can I (or anyone) do, but to use appetite
              stimulant?

              Is Pepcid necessary? It cures peptic ulcers and similar disorders
              caused by histamine reaction in one's stomach. Maybe she doesn't need
              it at all. Why don't you try sodium bicarbonate instead of Pepcid.
              Joseph W. Bartges from The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, in his
              presentation at the 2003 WSAVA congress, advocated its use in CRF
              patients (cats, of course) for addressing metabolic acidosis. It's
              also good for stomach acidosis and, as far as I know, doesn't have
              side effects. I used it for that purpose in my deceased cat with CRF,
              and I was satisfied. And I think that weaning off the famotidine
              (Pepcid) is not necessary, it can be discontinued immediately (I used
              ranitidine, it is the medication of the same class, for my own
              stomach, they didn't mention weaning off it. I also searched the web
              for famotidine, no one word about weaning).

              Best wishes from Deda
            • C. Halligan
              Message 6 of 21 , May 3, 2008
                Although my heart kitty does not have IBD thank god, I do have a kitty with IBD. She was given cyproheptadine to stimulate her appetite and an antacid. Neither worked for her and she her IBD got worse. She was on prednisone for a while and I recently weened her off because I do not like what it will do to her long term. She gets bi-weekly homeopathic injections with 5mg of dexamethasone (another steroid, similar to prednisone) and this seems to be working (cross your fingers).
                I certainly hope my heart kitty does not develop this nasty disease. There was talk in this forum of an IBD group. Can someone provide me with the link so I can talk with others about IBD/IBS? Thanks and I hope your kitties are doing well.

                Cindy
> [...]

                > twice a week, because it remains long time in cat's body.
                > Other medication which you can try is easier to apply, because it
                > comes in 4mg tablets. Total dose for a cat is 1mg, so it must be
                > divided in quarters. It's generic name is cyproheptadine (Americans
                > know it under brand name Periactin), it is antihistamine and is
                given,
                > usually, once daily, but it may happen that your cat has to have it
                > only once in few days, that is individual. If you notice that 1mg
                > dosage is too high (cat is very agitated), you should lessen it
                until
                > you find proper dose for your cat.
                >
                > Keep in mind that both medications cause agitation in cats, but
                don't
                > worry about it, you just have to establish the dose which your cat
                > tolerates best, while appetite is still increased.

              • Carol
                Message 7 of 21 , May 3, 2008
                  hi Cindy,

                  Here's a link to one IBD group I found.

                  Carol and Snowball and the gang

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "C. Halligan" <challigan2@...>
                  wrote:
                  There was talk in this forum of an IBD group. Can someone provide me
                  with the link so I can talk with others about IBD/IBS? Thanks and I
                  hope your kitties are doing well.

                  > Cindy
                • rzivorad
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                    Hi Cindy!

                    I am little experienced in IBD, my cat was ill with it 5 years ago.
                    It's nice to be the member of some forum, but there are both
                    knowledgeable and also not so knowledgeable people there. If you want to
                    learn of something, then learn from an expert. Here is a link to an
                    article written by expert, it will help you much about IBD:

                    http://maxshouse.com/inflammatory_bowel_disease.htm

                    I think you were wrong when you stopped administering corticosteroids,
                    you'll see why when you read this article.

                    I am sorry, I know this message has nothing in common with heart
                    diseases, but I see that cats of many people here , besides heart
                    problems, also have problems with IBD. This article is worth reading!

                    Many regards, Deda
                  • C. Halligan
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                      Hi Deda,

                      Thank you for the article. I read it and unfortunately I have read similar findings/statements before. I am wary about using terms such as 'expert' because of the perspectives these people tend to hold. Many allopathics are ignorant of homeopathic methods. Supportive methods were not mentioned such as including probiotics after antibiotic use.

                      The ontology of veterinary medicine conflicts with non-allopathic methods and it doesn't help that pharmaceutical companies provide the capitalistic framework for educating future veterinarians and the maintenance of the vet system.

                      Anyway, do I think that I was wrong to stop Chloe's steroid? I did it properly, ie. weening her off of it. For now, I am trying periodic injections of dexamethasone including homeopathic means. Do they work against each other? Theoretically yes but if I do not administer both the long term affects of the steroid use may occur more quickly.

                      Thank you again Deda for the article. I think it succinctly articulates this nasty disease.

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                        Hi Cindy!

                        I use the term expert to indicate person who is the most knowledgeable
                        in some area. No doubt that Mr Douglas Bronstad deserves that. The
                        therapy which is described in the article cured my cat from IBD!
                        Homeopathic methods didn't work, dietary changes failed completely.
                        Generally, you are quite right about pharmaceutical companies. You share
                        opinion with my son (or vice versa), who avers that pharmaceutical
                        companies don't want to discover medications which will really cure most
                        of known diseases (instead of just keeping us alive), because then they
                        can't sell us these (unduly expensive) medications.

                        I think that, in the case of IBD, probiotics supplement wasn't mentioned
                        deliberately, because in IBD gut flora (consisting of bacteria, of
                        course) usually overgrows, and my attack liver and pancreas through
                        common bile duct. The goal is to suppress it, not to recover it. In most
                        cases of cholangiohepatitis, there is concurrent IBD present.

                        When I told you that it was wrong to discontinue corticosteroids, it
                        wasn't because I thought you did it too fast. It was because you said
                        that you had done it fearing of adverse effects. That's not good reason,
                        because when the therapy is discontinued too early, recurrence can take
                        place. Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't have
                        serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term use of
                        prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect (it
                        could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that even
                        long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets, which
                        articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.

                        All in all, I appreciate your message and I enjoyed reading it! Thank
                        you.

                        Many regards from Deda

                      • katy4282003
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                          actually you are wrong to say that long term use of steroids dont
                          have serious adverse effects of cats. steroids lower immunity thus
                          making the cat unable to fight infection just like in people. the
                          risk for diabeties and ulcers are also increased. steroids can
                          exacerbate heart disease. many experienced vets also give yearly
                          vaccinations but we know that isnt safe for our pets. i am glad to
                          hear that your cat hasnt had adverse reactions to steroids but that
                          is not always the case and steroids should be used with caution in my
                          opinion.
                          >^..^<
                          katy & belle

                          > When I told you that it was wrong to discontinue corticosteroids, it
                          > wasn't because I thought you did it too fast. It was because you
                          said
                          > that you had done it fearing of adverse effects. That's not good
                          reason,
                          > because when the therapy is discontinued too early, recurrence can
                          take
                          > place. Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't
                          have
                          > serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term
                          use of
                          > prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect
                          (it
                          > could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that
                          even
                          > long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets,
                          which
                          > articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.
                          >
                          > All in all, I appreciate your message and I enjoyed reading it!
                          Thank
                          > you.
                          >
                          > Many regards from Deda

                        • toomany_kittys
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                            Hi Deda,

                            Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't have
                            > serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term use
                            of
                            > prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect (it
                            > could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that even
                            > long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets,
                            which
                            > articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.

                            I have to strongly dispute the statement above as I have a much
                            different experience with my kitty Jasmin and prednisolone.
                            Jasmin, 3 yrs old now, has a neurological condition called
                            demylineating neuropathy. It is an auto-immune disease that came
                            immediately after the FeLV vax and anaesthesia/spay done at the same
                            time with a previous caregiver. This was diagnosed by a neurologist.
                            The symptoms are severe ataxia, eventual limb paralysis, twitching,
                            thin coat, etc.. Of course her people then returned her to a shelter.
                            The only allopathic treatment is prednisolone. The neurologist put her
                            on a six mth treatment course of it. She is still on it after one year.
                            He told me of side effects. She has them. Her bladder walls have
                            thickened (common side effect), debris in her urine. It also is very
                            hard on the heart and her heart is checked periodically. She is being
                            weaned off of it but damage has been done by prolonged prednisolone
                            therapy. It did however, relieve the symptoms for the most part until
                            recently.
                            Now she goes to an integrative vet, along with the neurologist and we
                            will be trying alternative methods and supplements.
                            I truly wish that I'd never agreed to her being put on the prednisolone
                            for a prolonged period of time.
                            I'm glad the pred worked for your little one with no side effects. My
                            experience with it is the opposite.
                            El
                          • psychoforkaatz
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                              The use of steroids for IBD cats is really a cat by cat decision. I
                              have been a member of the IBD group for about a year although since
                              Josie was also diagnosed with heart disease I havent been there much. I
                              am glad that I personally chose to steer away from the use of regular
                              steroids as they would be detrimental to Josies heart condition, they
                              promote fluid retention and Josie has been having serious problems with
                              that lately. I use supplements and food changes and most recently a
                              long course of antibiotics to help with a recurring underlying
                              infection and Josie's IBD is much better. She was not a regular vomiter
                              but had constant diarreah. I think the food changes helped her the
                              most. So while many people have no choice after trying everything else,
                              to use steroids, each case is different and I think the fewer meds we
                              can get by using the better. I already spend 24/7 administering meds,
                              supplements and feedings to Josie, its a good thing I have no life.....

                              Kendall and Josie
                            • shannon5@charter.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                                Hi Deda,
                                I have been a member of this list for almost 6 years and I cannot tell you how many people have joined because of a cat in heart failure following a steriod shot. I think heart failure qualifies as a serious side effect.
                                Shannon
                                ---- rzivorad <rzivorad@...> wrote:

                                > place. Besides, corticosteroids like prednisone/prednisolone don't have
                                > serious adverse effects on cats. I have experience with long-term use of
                                > prednisone in my cat and I really didn't notice any adverse effect (it
                                > could be increased appetite, maybe, but she is so poor eater that even
                                > long-term use of prednisone doesn't help). Many experienced vets, which
                                > articles on corticosteroid therapy I read, assert the same.
                                > Many regards from Deda
                              • C. Halligan
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                                  Hi Deda,

                                  Thank you for your comments. It is good to hear that your cat no longer has IBD. Just curious...Is kitty still using the steroid?

                                  I actually had been weening Chloe very very slowly off the prednisone (about 2.5 months). She recently saw her integrative vet and she said that the steroid will be damaging her at a cellular level or a level that we cannot see at this time and will not see until it is too late. Vets jump on steroids because as a last resort they are wonder drugs BUT long term the effects are usually devastating, among Cushing's disease being the worst.

                                  I am back to square one with food elimination and hoping the supplements will work. Cindy

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                                    Hi El!

                                    I can't argue, your experience obviously shows that those vets, whose
                                    articles on the use of corticosteroids I have read, are deeply wrong.
                                    Maybe we could discuss whether it is some coincidence, but I see that
                                    there are many other people with the same experience. Unfortunately,
                                    there are many occasions when corticosteroids must be used, especially
                                    in cats, because they are so prone to immune mediated disorders.
                                    Luckily, there is alternatives to corticosteroids. Those are
                                    azathioprine and cyclosporine, but it seems that corticosteroids are
                                    very popular among many authors, so one can heavily find
                                    recommendations of proper dosages of these two. I am sure that vets
                                    also have that problem. Besides, side effects of these two
                                    alternatives are pretty unknown, especially when cats are in question.

                                    When we talk about therapy for IBD, it is not real long-term use of
                                    prednisone, because it usually last only 8 weeks.

                                    Thanks for your mail, it's worth to have information of such experience.

                                    Many regards from Deda
                                  • rzivorad
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                                      No, she doesn't use them any more. It was long ago (in 2003), and she
                                      was cured by means of therapy that was described in the article I
                                      mentioned. It lasted only 8 weeks. Since then she never had any
                                      problem of that kind. It was enteritis, inflammation of small bowel,
                                      and was manifested as so-called small bowel diarrhea (diarrhea which
                                      consists of undigested food, smelling like the food that was eaten).

                                      By the way, I prefer the term corticosteroids, in order to
                                      differentiate them from anabolic steroid, which are really dangerous
                                      medications.

                                      Many regards from Deda
                                    • rzivorad
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                                        Hi Katy!

                                        I have received some more mails in which their posters aver similar
                                        things. I can't argue with that, neither I want to advocate the use of
                                        corticosteroids. I accept every experience with respect.
                                        Unfortunately, many authors whose articles on the use of
                                        corticosteroids I have read say what I said. I also read statements
                                        similar to mine on some forums. It is obvious that one has to collect
                                        as much experiences as possible. When you say that corticosteroids
                                        lower immunity, bear in mind that that is the goal of the therapy for
                                        immune mediated diseases (like IBD). Low immunity at that period can
                                        be (and usually is) compensated by concurrent use of antibiotics. We
                                        can discuss adverse effects on heart and other organs, but immunity
                                        must be lowered in the case of immune mediated diseases.

                                        Thanks for your mail. It will help me to consider the use of
                                        corticosteroids more carefully next time.

                                        Kindest regards, Deda
                                      • toomany_kittys
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 7, 2008
                                          Deda,
                                          Thank you for your post and the information.
                                          Prednisolone, when given at a high dose and then weaned , i.e. in 6
                                          mths can sometimes suppress the auto-immune disease symptoms for
                                          months or years. This is done for many humans also with Multiple
                                          Sclerosis when symptoms are severe. This was the neurologist's plan.
                                          The vet had a different plan to wean slower and maybe not at all,
                                          depending on any return of symptoms.
                                          Cyclosporine and Azathiopine aren't used in this manner. They are
                                          used continually for life duration. They are also not without serious
                                          adverse affects.
                                          Currently, Jasmin the cat is being given hydrocortisone alternatively
                                          with the pred to wean her off the pred. It isn't as strong and has
                                          lesser side affects. She is also on an adrenal support for the next
                                          3 - 6 mths. The integrative vet has found that diseases that respond
                                          quickly to pred often involve the adrenal glands.

                                          I'm glad the IBD resolved itself with your cat. The yellow soft stool
                                          does indicate undigested food - the yellow is bile. Were you giving
                                          her digestive enzymes? Pancreatic enzymes? supplements for gut
                                          health? I recently had a cat have acute pancreatitis and the yellow
                                          stool that you speak of and within 3 weeks her stool was back to
                                          normal, as were her pancreatic numbers, etc.. She was given an herbal
                                          formula with digestive enzymes, adrenal support, immune support, etc.
                                          and the problem resolved very quickly. (I have many foster cats)

                                          Sometimes drugs are absolutely necessary, but often there are better
                                          solutions.

                                          El

                                          -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "rzivorad" <rzivorad@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi El!
                                          >
                                          > I can't argue, your experience obviously shows that those vets,
                                          whose
                                          > articles on the use of corticosteroids I have read, are deeply
                                          wrong.
                                          > Maybe we could discuss whether it is some coincidence, but I see
                                          that
                                          > there are many other people with the same experience. Unfortunately,
                                          > there are many occasions when corticosteroids must be used,
                                          especially
                                          > in cats, because they are so prone to immune mediated disorders.
                                          > Luckily, there is alternatives to corticosteroids. Those are
                                          > azathioprine and cyclosporine, but it seems that corticosteroids are
                                          > very popular among many authors, so one can heavily find
                                          > recommendations of proper dosages of these two. I am sure that vets
                                          > also have that problem. Besides, side effects of these two
                                          > alternatives are pretty unknown, especially when cats are in
                                          question.

                                          > When we talk about therapy for IBD, it is not real long-term use of
                                          > prednisone, because it usually last only 8 weeks.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks for your mail, it's worth to have information of such
                                          experience.

                                          > Many regards from Deda

                                        • rzivorad
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 9, 2008
                                            Hi El!

                                            I believe that autoimmune diseases, all of which respond to
                                            prednisolone or other corticosteroids, always involve adrenal glands.
                                            Adrenal glands produce natural corticosteroid cortisol, which has
                                            immunosuppresive effect (among many other). It is pretty normal to
                                            suppose that there would never be autoimmune diseases if adrenal
                                            glands worked well so, being insufficiently active, they are always
                                            involved in immune mediated diseases.

                                            I must disagree about azathioprine and cyclosporine. They are
                                            immunosuppressors and are used like other immunosuppressive drugs, but
                                            with much stronger effects and, unfortunately, worse adverse effects.
                                            In cats, they are used in severe cases of lymphocytic
                                            cholangiohepatitis, feline herpetic keratitis, immune-mediated
                                            hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenia and so on, when respond
                                            to corticosteroid therapy is poor.

                                            There was no need for pancreatic enzymes supplement. It is used in the
                                            case of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency (which is rare in cats), and
                                            is contraindicated in acute pancreatitis. This is heart group, so we
                                            shouldn't "talk" about pancreatitis or IBD, but her stool was typical
                                            small-bowel diarrhea, not just loose, pale and greasy stool like in
                                            pancreatic insufficiency.

                                            I strongly believe in medications. When disease develops, there is no
                                            time for the use of less dangerous methods. Those methods must be
                                            applied on a long-term basis, and are irreplaceable for preserving
                                            health, but in the cases of serious diseases.

                                            < I'm glad the IBD resolved itself with your cat. >

                                            Thanks!

                                            Many regards from Deda
                                          • toomany_kittys
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 9, 2008
                                              Deda,
                                              My original stmt is below. This refers to auto immune diseases such
                                              as demylineating neuopathy which Jasmin has. As I stated,
                                              prednisolone is used in a very high dose for a short duration which
                                              then often suppresses the symptoms for years - not in lower doses for
                                              life. The below drugs aren't used in this manner for this condition -
                                              in extremely high dose for short duration. Please note my original
                                              stmt below 'They are not without serious adverse affects.'

                                              Cyclosporine and Azathiopine aren't used in this manner. They are
                                              used continually for life duration. They are also not without serious
                                              adverse affects.

                                              > I must disagree about azathioprine and cyclosporine. They are
                                              > immunosuppressors and are used like other immunosuppressive drugs,
                                              but
                                              > with much stronger effects and, unfortunately, worse adverse
                                              effects.
                                              > In cats, they are used in severe cases of lymphocytic
                                              > cholangiohepatitis, feline herpetic keratitis, immune-mediated
                                              > hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenia and so on, when
                                              respond
                                              > to corticosteroid therapy is poor.

                                              If I recall correctly, you brought up the IBD. Believe me, the stool
                                              from pancreatic insufficiency is not always 'just loose, pale and
                                              greasy'.

                                              This is heart group, so we
                                              > shouldn't "talk" about pancreatitis or IBD, but her stool was
                                              typical
                                              > small-bowel diarrhea, not just loose, pale and greasy stool like in
                                              > pancreatic insufficiency.

                                              I completely disagree with the stmt below. In an emergency situation,
                                              medications are often important but not always 'when disease
                                              develops'. Yes, medications are important for some diseases but with
                                              many, such as IBD, alternative treatments such as accupuncture,
                                              Chinese Herbal medicines, supplements, etc. and diet changes work
                                              very well. The methods don't have to applied on a long-term basis. My
                                              HCM kitty had IBD (both diagnosed by ultrasound), and we successfully
                                              used alternative methods. He no longer needs the accupuncture nor the
                                              Chinese Herbal meds for it. The IBD has resolved itself.
                                              Also, for HCM have you read the recent post where the one cat who
                                              reacted adversely to Atenolol has had improvement with the supplement
                                              Cardio Strength? At some point, he will probably require meds, but
                                              the supplement has reversed the disease process to a degree.

                                              > I strongly believe in medications. When disease develops, there is
                                              no
                                              > time for the use of less dangerous methods. Those methods must be
                                              > applied on a long-term basis, and are irreplaceable for preserving
                                              > health, but in the cases of serious diseases.

                                              You're right, this is a heart group. If you would like to further
                                              this discussion, feel free to email me.

                                              El