Re:SAM - systolic anterior motion

  • Chevalier, Freedom
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Not entirely clear on the connection between SAM and HCM, but maybe this
      might be of interest: We have 3 neutered males with Heart Murmurs.

      ZiZou, (3 years old) is FIV+ Siamese cross, has HCM (pronounced) and a grade
      5 heart murmur, and is on Atelonal.

      Vinny (13 years old) Black DSH has only the heart murmur, grade 3, without
      any other signs and is not on any medication. He does not have HCM.

      Baggins, Black DSH, (a recent foster/rescue, who will now be living out the
      remainder of his days with us as he is unstable for rehoming) is 14 years
      old, lost one eye to Glaucoma and is blind in his remaining eye. He does
      have glaucoma in the remaining eye and on twice daily drops to reduce the
      pressure. He is also experiencing urinary issues that we are struggling to
      diagnose, with our amazing vet. At last nights check up he was diagnosed
      with a Grade 3 murmur (He does cough/wheeze intermittently). We are working
      on an overall diagnosis of his health status so that could change. We've
      only had him 3 months. (The poor old man was abandoned by his previous
      owners of 14 years because they suddenly developed allergies to him.)
      Baggins is on Fortekor (starting today).

      This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this e-mail may not be that of the organization.

    • cherie blate
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Everything I read says the same thing basically its secondary but my seymour
        was diagnosed last year with SAM but the vet said he does not have hcm, no
        left wall thickening or any symptoms of anything. He's been on antenolol and
        the sam has repaired itself for now so I am just wondering if anyone else
        has this diagnosis.

        On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Carol <carolroars@...> wrote:

        > hi Cherie,
        >
        > One site I found talks about SAM being a "feature" of HCM. Here's the
        > paragraph from the site.
        >

        > http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2507&S=0&EVetID=0
        >
        > A common feature of HCM is termed systolic anterior motion (SAM) of
        > the mitral valve. This abnormal motion of the mitral valve partially
        > obstructs the outflow of blood from the left ventricle into the aorta,
        > resulting in a heart murmur which can be heard by your veterinarian
        > with a stethoscope during your pet's physical examination. However,
        > it is important to note that not all murmurs in cats are due to SAM.
        > Additional diagnostic tests are required to confirm both the presence
        > of SAM and of HCM.
        > >>

        > So it sounds like you'd have SAM secondary to HCM...have the HCM first
        > and then develop the SAM and murmur, but that you can have HCM and a
        > murmur but the murmur not always caused from SAM.
        >
        > I'm not sure I helped much!
        >
        > take care,
        > Carol and Snowball and the gang
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "cherie blate" <cblate@...> wrote:
        >
        > I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a cat with SAM
        > but has not developed hcm?
        > cherie

      • lorkatz2004
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008
          ---
          maybe this is what we are hearing when they tell us our cats have
          obstructive HCM. It is actually SAM but the cardios are calling it
          obstructive HCM.

          cathy

          In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "cherie blate" <cblate@...> wrote:

          > Everything I read says the same thing basically its secondary but my
          seymour
          > was diagnosed last year with SAM but the vet said he does not have
          hcm, no
          > left wall thickening or any symptoms of anything. He's been on
          antenolol and
          > the sam has repaired itself for now so I am just wondering if anyone
          else
          > has this diagnosis.
          >
          > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Carol <carolroars@...> wrote:
          >
          > > hi Cherie,
          > >
          > > One site I found talks about SAM being a "feature" of HCM. Here's the
          > > paragraph from the site.
          > >

          > > http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2507&S=0&EVetID=0
          > >
          > > A common feature of HCM is termed systolic anterior motion (SAM) of
          > > the mitral valve. This abnormal motion of the mitral valve partially
          > > obstructs the outflow of blood from the left ventricle into the aorta,
          > > resulting in a heart murmur which can be heard by your veterinarian
          > > with a stethoscope during your pet's physical examination. However,
          > > it is important to note that not all murmurs in cats are due to SAM.
          > > Additional diagnostic tests are required to confirm both the presence
          > > of SAM and of HCM.
          > > >>

          > > So it sounds like you'd have SAM secondary to HCM...have the HCM first
          > > and then develop the SAM and murmur, but that you can have HCM and a
          > > murmur but the murmur not always caused from SAM.
          > >
          > > I'm not sure I helped much!
          > >
          > > take care,
          > > Carol and Snowball and the gang
          > >
          > > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "cherie blate" <cblate@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a cat with SAM
          > > but has not developed hcm?
          > > cherie

        • goldengirlgene
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            SAM can be the cause of obstruction and also mitral regurgitation.
            Marcia