Re: [FH] Re:Hungry for info

  • SionainneO
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
      Concerning diet for HCM kitties, especially those in heart failure (like my Merlin): When he was diagnosed with HCM almost two years ago I was instructed to put him on a low-sodium diet, which pretty much meant no more "tuna juice" (the water from cans of tuna, which he LOVES), senior-formula cat foods only, and the very infrequent use of treats (Pounce, etc.). I followed this fairly faithfully. If I cooked something for dinner he particularly liked -- chicken and scallops are two of his favorites -- I'd cook them without added salt so he could share a bit.

      Since he had his chest tapped for increasing amounts of fluid twice in two weeks, I decided to let him eat what he wants to eat. Especially when, after the second tapping, he was lethargic and didn't eat for several days and I thought he was on his way out, and he did lose weight. I started offering him his favorite -- Fancy Feast -- and suddenly life was worth living again. He has senior-formula IAMs dry food available 24/7, which he eats, but he gets a can or a little more than a can of Fancy Feast each day, too. He is happy, energetic, cuddly, his fur is shiny, and I can't feel his hip bones and spine so clearly any more. So much for the low-sodium regime; for whatever time he has left, I will give him his beloved Fancy Feast. It doesn't seem to be doing him any immediate, intense harm, and he's a happy boy.

      Oh, and I switched to "Very Low Sodium" tuna for myself, Chicken of the Sea Makes it, and he gets the "tuna juice" from that when I open a can.