CRF question w/CHF

  • Vickie
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2008
      How can I tell if Baby is getting CRF, besides his BUN/CEA.

      He's lost 1/2lb and seems a litle off. He drink a lot of water,
      but can't say it's more then before his seizure. After his seizure
      I felt he wasn't dring enought water from the water fountain, so I
      put a bowl of water in the hallway so I can see him drink from the
      livingroom or bedroom.

      He's eating ok, but not going supper crazy over anything I give him.
      I p/u some Wellness, and some other heatlh food.

      I just hate to drag him to the vet all the time, he hates it, but I
      don't want to wait to late.

      Just not sure what else to look for w/CRF since he drinks and pee's
      a lot w/all the heart meds, and being diabetic as well.

      Thanks
      Vickie
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2008
        Hi Vickie,

        Outside of having the bloodwork done to check the BUN/Creatinine, the
        only other outward signs that I know of are excessive drinking/peeing,
        inappetance, nausea/vomiting. CRF kitties don't concentrate their
        urine, so it will be very pale color and almost no smell to it at
        all. On the other hand, their breath will smell very bad, almost a
        urine smell to it.

        CRF is a very insidious disease. Usually you can't even tell a cat has
        CRF, and by the time they are showing signs of it like the ones I just
        mentioned, they've already lost up to 75% of their kidney function.
        Fortunately cats kidneys can function on that remaining 25% fairly
        well with supportive treatments (diet, subQ fluids, etc.).

        Do you have "housecall" vets that will come to your home? Maybe you
        can get one to come to get the blood sample to run a panel, then you
        wouldn't have to take him in. I've done there here before when one of
        our guys needed bloodwork and we just felt that the trip to the vet
        would have been too much for them.

        I hope he doesn't have CRF, but if you do suspect it, doing the
        bloodwork is the only way to know for sure.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Vickie" <VickieJunger@...> wrote:

        > How can I tell if Baby is getting CRF, besides his BUN/CEA.
      • lorkatz2004
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2008
          ---
          Hi Vicki

          I just had one cat that died at age 19 of CRF.......she was in end
          stage for about 1 year.

          Some of the symptoms of CFR are thirst, throwing up (a frothy yellow
          foam or their food). Throwing up is a problem and due mainly to an
          upset stomach with a lot of the cats. You will notice in the
          litterbox a huge clump of pee by the cat. They tend to lose weight
          and be scrawney, etc.

          Cathy

        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2008
            Hi Vickie,

            In a message dated 4/9/08 11:14:38 PM, VickieJunger@... writes:

            > How can I tell if Baby is getting CRF, besides his BUN/CEA.

            The other markers to look at incl: phosphorus, potassium, calcium, sodium,
            hematocrit/packed cell volume, and urine specific gravity (this last being very
            important, so a urinalysis needs to be done in conjunction with blood work).
            In addition to clinical signs. // Rosemary