Re: [FH] HCM in CRF cat with hypertension, how to treat?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2008
      Hi Ania,

      In a message dated 4/8/08 4:57:47 PM, nanlunek@... writes:

      >   I`m new here and I dont speak English

      Welcome to the group. Don't worry about the language at all...you're doing
      fine.

      > Lunek is 11 years old and he was diagnosed with CRF 4 years ago.
      > Since September he has also high blood pressure and proteinurie, with
      > protein/crea ratio over 0.75-1.2.

      Do you have the values for the BUN (blood urea nitrogen), creatinine,
      phosphorus, and urine specific gravity? Those will help give us an idea about Lunek's
      status.

      > So, what else can we do? Vet said "diuretic"
      > (furosemid) but Lunek with his poliuria is always dehydrated,
      > althought he become 100 ml sc. twice a day!

      So he gets a total of 200mL daily, right? I know he's always dehydrated...but
      have you thought of giving less fluids per day? I'm not saying that will
      solve the problem, because balancing hydration with the kidneys and the heart is
      difficult. I'm just asking.

      > He wants nothing to drink
      > alone.

      Do you mean he won't drink on his own? Will he let you syringe water in his
      mouth? Can you add water to his food (but only if it's a canned or fresh food,
      not dryt he...although it wouldn't be a good idea for him to be eating dry
      food anyway, b/c it contains only 10% or less moisture. But that's another
      topic.) Does Lunek like homemade meat broth (for example, simmering some chicken or
      meat scraps in water)?

      > I really dont know to do yet. Vet suggesting also pimobendan
      > but I am not sure it is save in cat. Spironolakton is also problem
      > becouse he has quite high potassium level. I heard something called
      > dendelion juice, what is it and can I try this by Lunek?

      I can't answer your questions about the medications. But dandelion is a plant
      (Taraxacum officinale is the botanical name, if that helps you recognize it)
      and the leaves are used as a diuretic (the root is used for something else).

      Here are 2 articles about it that might be helpful:

      1. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/dandelion-000236.htm

      2. http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1874

      Also, about the potassium. Do you mean that Lunek has high potassium or high
      phosphorus? High phosphorus is not uncommon with kidney cats, which also may
      have low potassium. For high phosphorus, we use phosphorus binders. There is
      information on that here:
      http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/binders.htm.

      Dandelion contains potassium, so if Lunek has high potassium (and not high
      phosphorus), dandelion may not be a good choice. // Rosemary