Re: [FH] Clavamox - okay for heart kitties?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2008
      Hi Sandy,

      In a message dated 4/8/08 4:52:07 PM, s_l_toth@... writes:

      > I give Spunky Lasix - is giving Clavamox okay with the Lasix?  He had
      > blood in his urine and they suspect bladder infection.

      I can't comment on potential cross reaction. But 2 other things came to mind.
      All antibx have the risk of upsetting the dig. system...and while some cats
      tolerate Clavamox well, many others do not. So it would be good to watch Spunky
      for diarrhea, nausea, inappetance, and vomiting. Might be a good idea to give
      a nondairy, mixed-strain, highish-potency probiotic during and somewhat after
      the course of Clavamox to help with stool quality...and slippery elm is
      useful if there's nausea.

      Also...if a bacterial infection is suspected, it's very important to confirm
      that at least with a urinalysis but better with a culture and sensitivity
      taste. There are other reasons why cats may have hematuria...such as crystals,
      sterile inflammation, kidney problems...that would not be responsive to an antibx
      and can be treated by other means. So I think it's a really good idea to nail
      down the cause of the blood so that it can be treated on target. Food is also
      a major player in urinary health...and dry food contributes to the 3 common
      urinary issues in ats (infection, inflammation, crystals) b/c of its lack of
      moisture, its species-inappropriate ingredients (esp grains), and its often high
      carbohydrate load. A high-quality, moisture-rich, low-carbohydrate,
      meat-based diet reduces risk for urinary problems. // Rosemary