some good news!

  • j
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I've only posted here a couple of times, but I read your posts every
      day and find them very moving, as well as very helpful indeed, so
      thank you.

      Some of the posts I read, I find them rather upsetting, and I'm sure
      man others do too, so I thought I would post some good news about
      Charley, our HCM cat who was diagnosed in January. She is around 13
      years old (we're not entirely sure of her background as she is a
      rescue cat) but we have had her for 11 years and she was estimated be
      about 2 at the time. Anyway, I digress.

      Charlie went in to get her claws clipped as they were snagging on the
      carpet, and after a routine check, 3 weeks, 1 x-ray and 1 ultrasound
      later, was diagnosed with HCM. Although her heart was described as
      'significantly thickened', and she had a grade 5 murmur, she hadn't
      gone into cardiac failure. Good news.

      She is on 3 x 5mg Hypercard tabs per day, and so far, so good!! She
      just had her first check up (after 6 weeks on the meds), and her heart
      rate is down, and the murmur has been downgraded to 2. She has also
      gained 75g in weight, and he coat has even started to look glossy again.

      So, if your vet offers you Hypercard, I can only say take it - it's
      worked wonders for Charley, and thanks to the slower heart rate she's
      now super chilled, so everyone is happy!

      My thoughts are with all of you and your kitties, past, present and
      future. Keep up the good work with the group, I'm sure it's
      appreciated by many more than those who choose to say so.

      Thank you again

      Jodie