Re: FW: Is vit B12 safe for HCM kitties?

  • s_thelma
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
      Lynette, thanks for sharing your experience and the links.
      I'm so glad other heart kitties are OK with vitamin B12! What a
      huge relief!!!
      Thanks again!
      Thelma

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolroars@...> wrote:

      > Sorry for the repost, something went wonkers with my first try.
      >

      > This post from Lynette was meant for the group, but came to the
      > listowner/moderators.
      >
      > Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:51:58 +0000
      > From: meowmeow_mom@:
      > feline-heart-owner@:
      > Re: Is vit B12 safe for HCM kitties?
      >
      > Vitamin B12 is water-soluble. There are no known side effects of
      > overdose. The only "negative" I've heard of was a study on rats
      > *with cancer* where they were given massive doses of B12 and the
      > researchers felt the cancer grew faster in those rats given the
      B12.
      > (Kind of along the theory I've heard that you should "starve"
      cancer
      > by not eating/getting enough nutrients. Doesn't seem logical to
      me,
      > as I'd think you'd want a *strong* body to fight the cancer, but
      > that's a theory...)
      >
      > Some people do prefer methylcobalamine over cyanocoblamine -
      > particularly caregivers of diabetic cats treating those cats for
      > diabetic neuropathy. A portion of cyanocobalamin is converted to
      the
      > methyl- form by the cat.
      >
      > All three of my cats with heart issues also get vitamin B12
      > supplemented due to histories of IBD. They've received
      supplemental
      > B12 since 2005. No issues here.
      >
      > http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/cobalamin.shtml
      > http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
      > http://laurieulrich.com/jasper/
      >
      > Lynette

    • lorkatz2004
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
        ---
        Hi

        I am not sure which group I was reading about B-12 but I think it was
        the IBD group and they were discussing malabsorption and what type of
        B-12 you need.

        In that group, they said to use the cyanocobalamin instead of the
        other type...........

        A lot of our cats have cachexia, so this was of interest to me

        good luck
        Cathy