Re: FW: Is vit B12 safe for HCM kitties?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 4:31 PM
      Sorry for the repost, something went wonkers with my first try.

      This post from Lynette was meant for the group, but came to the
      listowner/moderators.

      Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:51:58 +0000
      From: meowmeow_mom@...:
      feline-heart-owner@...:
      Re: Is vit B12 safe for HCM kitties?

      Vitamin B12 is water-soluble. There are no known side effects of
      overdose. The only "negative" I've heard of was a study on rats
      *with cancer* where they were given massive doses of B12 and the
      researchers felt the cancer grew faster in those rats given the B12.
      (Kind of along the theory I've heard that you should "starve" cancer
      by not eating/getting enough nutrients. Doesn't seem logical to me,
      as I'd think you'd want a *strong* body to fight the cancer, but
      that's a theory...)

      Some people do prefer methylcobalamine over cyanocoblamine -
      particularly caregivers of diabetic cats treating those cats for
      diabetic neuropathy. A portion of cyanocobalamin is converted to the
      methyl- form by the cat.

      All three of my cats with heart issues also get vitamin B12
      supplemented due to histories of IBD. They've received supplemental
      B12 since 2005. No issues here.

      http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/cobalamin.shtml
      http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
      http://laurieulrich.com/jasper/

      Lynette
    • s_thelma
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 5:57 PM
        Lynette, thanks for sharing your experience and the links.
        I'm so glad other heart kitties are OK with vitamin B12! What a
        huge relief!!!
        Thanks again!
        Thelma

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolroars@...> wrote:

        > Sorry for the repost, something went wonkers with my first try.
        >

        > This post from Lynette was meant for the group, but came to the
        > listowner/moderators.
        >
        > Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:51:58 +0000
        > From: meowmeow_mom@:
        > feline-heart-owner@:
        > Re: Is vit B12 safe for HCM kitties?
        >
        > Vitamin B12 is water-soluble. There are no known side effects of
        > overdose. The only "negative" I've heard of was a study on rats
        > *with cancer* where they were given massive doses of B12 and the
        > researchers felt the cancer grew faster in those rats given the
        B12.
        > (Kind of along the theory I've heard that you should "starve"
        cancer
        > by not eating/getting enough nutrients. Doesn't seem logical to
        me,
        > as I'd think you'd want a *strong* body to fight the cancer, but
        > that's a theory...)
        >
        > Some people do prefer methylcobalamine over cyanocoblamine -
        > particularly caregivers of diabetic cats treating those cats for
        > diabetic neuropathy. A portion of cyanocobalamin is converted to
        the
        > methyl- form by the cat.
        >
        > All three of my cats with heart issues also get vitamin B12
        > supplemented due to histories of IBD. They've received
        supplemental
        > B12 since 2005. No issues here.
        >
        > http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/cobalamin.shtml
        > http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
        > http://laurieulrich.com/jasper/
        >
        > Lynette

      • lorkatz2004
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 8:37 AM
          ---
          Hi

          I am not sure which group I was reading about B-12 but I think it was
          the IBD group and they were discussing malabsorption and what type of
          B-12 you need.

          In that group, they said to use the cyanocobalamin instead of the
          other type...........

          A lot of our cats have cachexia, so this was of interest to me

          good luck
          Cathy