Re:New HCM Questions

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
      HI Phyllis,

      As far as I know, fainting is not a sign of CHF,
      but it might be a sign of an irregular heart rhythm.
      Since you
      have a stethoscope you should be able to hear
      the heart rhythm and distinguish between normal
      rhythm "lub-dup lub-dup lub-dup" and something
      abnormal. I could hear Cozette's heart when it
      developed an abnormal rhythm.

      There are some websites that have sound clips. They
      may be in the links. I know I added some links to
      the "PetVetCafe" yahoo groups. Check out
      "auscultation sounds"
      and the like with your favorite search engine and you
      should
      be able to bring some up.

    • Leslie Lawther
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        Wheezie would faint too.. he did it twice... scared the crap out of me! His
        diagnosis was complex congenital heart disease and atrial arrhythmia.
        Problem was, it came on suddenly... and I'd run to him and pick him up and
        he'd snap back. Now that I think of it, I had a Schnauzer that did this and
        she also had heart disease... this was 15 years ago though...
        Leslie =^..^=

        On 4/3/08, nala nala <nala_zq@...> wrote:

        > HI Phyllis,
        >
        > As far as I know, fainting is not a sign of CHF,
        > but it might be a sign of an irregular heart rhythm.
        > Since you
        > have a stethoscope you should be able to hear
        > the heart rhythm and distinguish between normal
        > rhythm "lub-dup lub-dup lub-dup" and something
        > abnormal. I could hear Cozette's heart when it
        > developed an abnormal rhythm.
        >
        > There are some websites that have sound clips. They
        > may be in the links. I know I added some links to
        > the "PetVetCafe" yahoo groups. Check out
        > "auscultation sounds"
        > and the like with your favorite search engine and you
        > should
        > be able to bring some up.

        > Total Access, No Cost.

        Leslie =^..^=

        To leave the world a better place - whether by a healthy child, a garden
        patch, or an improved social condition - that is to have succeeded. That
        only one life breathed easier because you lived - that is success.
        ---Ralph Waldo Emerson

      • Phyllis
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          Thanks. This one incident goes back several months, way before Sherman was diagnosed. I didn't associate that incident with the HCM dx at all until I was looking thru the archives for something and spotted this.

          Since it hasn't happened again, I guess I'll keep my eye (and ear) on him, and talk to my vet when we go in for a re-echo in a few months.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2008
            Hi Leslie,

            Yes, I understand it scaring you (the fainting). The
            night
            Cozette died, I had thought/hoped/prayed that she had
            only fainted, but alas, that was not the case at all.
            Still
            very hard to think about it.

            Nala