Is vit B12 safe for HCM kitties?

  • s_thelma
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008
      I started giving my Petuly (HCM/CRF) B12 cyanocobalamin which is the
      recommended form in the IBD group and I give it to my Calistica
      (IBD/Liver kitty).
      I thought why not give it to my HCM kitty too? I started giving her
      the B12 cyanocobalamin sublingual form 3 times a week last week. I'm
      told that CRF patients appear not to be able to clear cyanide as
      well as healthy patients. This form can't be good for Petuly's
      kidney's!

      Other groups prefer the methylcobalamin form of B12 and this is
      better for a CRF kitty.

      I just went to wikipedia to read about B12 This is one its side
      effects (from Wikipedia):
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B12#Side_effects.2C_contraindications.2C
      _and_warnings
      Hematologic: Peripheral vascular thrombosis has been reported.

      <<The part about vascular thrombosis scared me to death. Is any
      form of B12 safe for my HCM kitty? Today was Petuly's next dose but
      I didn't give it to her.>>

      Thanks!
      Thelma, Petuly & Calistica