Re: New HCM Questions

  • Deena
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 12:50 PM
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "plklein12" <plklein12@...>
      wrote: a few people have mentioned to me that there's some benefit to
      feeding beef heart to feline heart patients.. does anyone have any
      advice to offer here ?

      Hi Phyllis,

      I'm on my 2nd HCM kitty and am a big believer in feeding raw heart. I
      feed as many different animal hearts as I can get my hands on:
      chicken, turkey, rabbit, veal, pig, buffalo, etc. I do feel it goes a
      long way to provide heart healthy ingredients in a very bioavailable
      form.

      Deena and Clara
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 9:40 AM
        HI Phyllis,

        As far as I know, fainting is not a sign of CHF,
        but it might be a sign of an irregular heart rhythm.
        Since you
        have a stethoscope you should be able to hear
        the heart rhythm and distinguish between normal
        rhythm "lub-dup lub-dup lub-dup" and something
        abnormal. I could hear Cozette's heart when it
        developed an abnormal rhythm.

        There are some websites that have sound clips. They
        may be in the links. I know I added some links to
        the "PetVetCafe" yahoo groups. Check out
        "auscultation sounds"
        and the like with your favorite search engine and you
        should
        be able to bring some up.

      • Leslie Lawther
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 9:47 AM
          Wheezie would faint too.. he did it twice... scared the crap out of me! His
          diagnosis was complex congenital heart disease and atrial arrhythmia.
          Problem was, it came on suddenly... and I'd run to him and pick him up and
          he'd snap back. Now that I think of it, I had a Schnauzer that did this and
          she also had heart disease... this was 15 years ago though...
          Leslie =^..^=

          On 4/3/08, nala nala <nala_zq@...> wrote:

          > HI Phyllis,
          >
          > As far as I know, fainting is not a sign of CHF,
          > but it might be a sign of an irregular heart rhythm.
          > Since you
          > have a stethoscope you should be able to hear
          > the heart rhythm and distinguish between normal
          > rhythm "lub-dup lub-dup lub-dup" and something
          > abnormal. I could hear Cozette's heart when it
          > developed an abnormal rhythm.
          >
          > There are some websites that have sound clips. They
          > may be in the links. I know I added some links to
          > the "PetVetCafe" yahoo groups. Check out
          > "auscultation sounds"
          > and the like with your favorite search engine and you
          > should
          > be able to bring some up.

          > Total Access, No Cost.

          Leslie =^..^=

          To leave the world a better place - whether by a healthy child, a garden
          patch, or an improved social condition - that is to have succeeded. That
          only one life breathed easier because you lived - that is success.
          ---Ralph Waldo Emerson

        • Phyllis
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 11:07 AM
            Thanks. This one incident goes back several months, way before Sherman was diagnosed. I didn't associate that incident with the HCM dx at all until I was looking thru the archives for something and spotted this.

            Since it hasn't happened again, I guess I'll keep my eye (and ear) on him, and talk to my vet when we go in for a re-echo in a few months.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5 4:07 PM
              Hi Leslie,

              Yes, I understand it scaring you (the fainting). The
              night
              Cozette died, I had thought/hoped/prayed that she had
              only fainted, but alas, that was not the case at all.
              Still
              very hard to think about it.

              Nala