Re: [FH] belle update 3.5 year diagnosis

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      Katy & Belle,

      WAHOO! That sounded like a pretty good visit to me.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

    • jamander33
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        Katy, I wish I could answer your question - I am sure someone here
        can though. I agree with Leah though, it sounds like a great
        checkup! I am glad that Belle is doing well. I think about you guys
        a lot because my cat, Griffin, has the HCM and asthma too. You have
        always given me great advice. Amanda and Griffin

        > on friday belle went for her 3.5 year recheck. i have her checked
        every
        > 6 months instead of every year- i would be a flipping lunatic if i
        > waited a whole 12 months. her wall thickening has not changed so
        that
        > was good. the only change was that there was a "trival" mitral
        > regurgitation that wasnt there before- is this the same as SAM?
        she did
        > have that when this started but it resolved with the use of
        atenolol.
        > her cardiologist said that it is not impedeing her heart function
        at
        > this time. belle was not pleased to be at the vets until she saw
        her
        > cardiologist- she really likes him but not any of the others.
        > >^..^<
        > katy & belle

      • dshale1
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          That is great news. I think that is what we are going to do as
          well--the cardiologist said our cat Pye doesn't need another echo for
          a year but I think we will have her re-checked at 6 months.

          Trivial mitral regurgitation means a very small amount of blood is
          leaking through mitral valve. It's not the same thing as SAM, although
          SAM can cause it. SAM is systolic anterior motion, meaning the mitral
          valve is pulled forward into the left ventricular chamber causing
          obstruction.

          If the report said the mitral regurgitation is trivial, I wouldn't
          worry about it. Pye has mild regurgitation (one step up from trivial)
          that was accompanied by SAM, but the atenolol elminated the SAM. The
          valve is a little thickened in her case so there is a little
          regurgitation. Only if it gets worse will I be worried.
          -Susan

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "katy4282003" <katy_van@...> wrote:

          > on friday belle went for her 3.5 year recheck. i have her checked every
          > 6 months instead of every year- i would be a flipping lunatic if i
          > waited a whole 12 months. her wall thickening has not changed so that
          > was good. the only change was that there was a "trival" mitral
          > regurgitation that wasnt there before- is this the same as SAM? she did
          > have that when this started but it resolved with the use of atenolol.
          > her cardiologist said that it is not impedeing her heart function at
          > this time. belle was not pleased to be at the vets until she saw her
          > cardiologist- she really likes him but not any of the others.
          > >^..^<
          > katy & belle

        • katy4282003
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
            yeah i think waiting a year is just too long. it helps ease my mind
            and im such a mother hen when it comes to belle i need the
            reassurances or to know how things are going.

            belle did have SAM that resolved on the atenolol(but came back while
            she was taking diltiazem for a few months). this leaking is new. he
            said trival on the report and to me too. i was starting to stress. he
            said not to worry that it was so minimal to be insignifigant at this
            time. i was happy that her thickness hasnt changed in 3.5 years but i
            worry as the time passes. she will be 5 on april 28. thanks for the
            info though it helps (i was going to say more than anyone knows...but
            i think everyone here knows).
            >^..^<
            katy & belle

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "dshale1" <Dshale1@...> wrote:

            > That is great news. I think that is what we are going to do as
            > well--the cardiologist said our cat Pye doesn't need another echo
            for
            > a year but I think we will have her re-checked at 6 months.
            >
            > Trivial mitral regurgitation means a very small amount of blood is
            > leaking through mitral valve. It's not the same thing as SAM,
            although
            > SAM can cause it. SAM is systolic anterior motion, meaning the
            mitral
            > valve is pulled forward into the left ventricular chamber causing
            > obstruction.
            >
            > If the report said the mitral regurgitation is trivial, I wouldn't
            > worry about it. Pye has mild regurgitation (one step up from
            trivial)
            > that was accompanied by SAM, but the atenolol elminated the SAM. The
            > valve is a little thickened in her case so there is a little
            > regurgitation. Only if it gets worse will I be worried.
            > -Susan

          • amanda
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
              Hi Katy, I`m glad the check up went well, I agree with the others that I would only be worried if it got worse but she seems to be well and stable, Go girl Belle! hugs and purrs Amanda and Silver chan.

            • toomany_kittys
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                Great news!
                I don't wait a year either. A lot of changes can occur in a year.
                El