belle update 3.5 year diagnosis

  • katy4282003
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      on friday belle went for her 3.5 year recheck. i have her checked every
      6 months instead of every year- i would be a flipping lunatic if i
      waited a whole 12 months. her wall thickening has not changed so that
      was good. the only change was that there was a "trival" mitral
      regurgitation that wasnt there before- is this the same as SAM? she did
      have that when this started but it resolved with the use of atenolol.
      her cardiologist said that it is not impedeing her heart function at
      this time. belle was not pleased to be at the vets until she saw her
      cardiologist- she really likes him but not any of the others.
      >^..^<
      katy & belle
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        Katy & Belle,

        WAHOO! That sounded like a pretty good visit to me.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • jamander33
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          Katy, I wish I could answer your question - I am sure someone here
          can though. I agree with Leah though, it sounds like a great
          checkup! I am glad that Belle is doing well. I think about you guys
          a lot because my cat, Griffin, has the HCM and asthma too. You have
          always given me great advice. Amanda and Griffin

          > on friday belle went for her 3.5 year recheck. i have her checked
          every
          > 6 months instead of every year- i would be a flipping lunatic if i
          > waited a whole 12 months. her wall thickening has not changed so
          that
          > was good. the only change was that there was a "trival" mitral
          > regurgitation that wasnt there before- is this the same as SAM?
          she did
          > have that when this started but it resolved with the use of
          atenolol.
          > her cardiologist said that it is not impedeing her heart function
          at
          > this time. belle was not pleased to be at the vets until she saw
          her
          > cardiologist- she really likes him but not any of the others.
          > >^..^<
          > katy & belle

        • dshale1
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
            That is great news. I think that is what we are going to do as
            well--the cardiologist said our cat Pye doesn't need another echo for
            a year but I think we will have her re-checked at 6 months.

            Trivial mitral regurgitation means a very small amount of blood is
            leaking through mitral valve. It's not the same thing as SAM, although
            SAM can cause it. SAM is systolic anterior motion, meaning the mitral
            valve is pulled forward into the left ventricular chamber causing
            obstruction.

            If the report said the mitral regurgitation is trivial, I wouldn't
            worry about it. Pye has mild regurgitation (one step up from trivial)
            that was accompanied by SAM, but the atenolol elminated the SAM. The
            valve is a little thickened in her case so there is a little
            regurgitation. Only if it gets worse will I be worried.
            -Susan

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "katy4282003" <katy_van@...> wrote:

            > on friday belle went for her 3.5 year recheck. i have her checked every
            > 6 months instead of every year- i would be a flipping lunatic if i
            > waited a whole 12 months. her wall thickening has not changed so that
            > was good. the only change was that there was a "trival" mitral
            > regurgitation that wasnt there before- is this the same as SAM? she did
            > have that when this started but it resolved with the use of atenolol.
            > her cardiologist said that it is not impedeing her heart function at
            > this time. belle was not pleased to be at the vets until she saw her
            > cardiologist- she really likes him but not any of the others.
            > >^..^<
            > katy & belle

          • katy4282003
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
              yeah i think waiting a year is just too long. it helps ease my mind
              and im such a mother hen when it comes to belle i need the
              reassurances or to know how things are going.

              belle did have SAM that resolved on the atenolol(but came back while
              she was taking diltiazem for a few months). this leaking is new. he
              said trival on the report and to me too. i was starting to stress. he
              said not to worry that it was so minimal to be insignifigant at this
              time. i was happy that her thickness hasnt changed in 3.5 years but i
              worry as the time passes. she will be 5 on april 28. thanks for the
              info though it helps (i was going to say more than anyone knows...but
              i think everyone here knows).
              >^..^<
              katy & belle

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "dshale1" <Dshale1@...> wrote:

              > That is great news. I think that is what we are going to do as
              > well--the cardiologist said our cat Pye doesn't need another echo
              for
              > a year but I think we will have her re-checked at 6 months.
              >
              > Trivial mitral regurgitation means a very small amount of blood is
              > leaking through mitral valve. It's not the same thing as SAM,
              although
              > SAM can cause it. SAM is systolic anterior motion, meaning the
              mitral
              > valve is pulled forward into the left ventricular chamber causing
              > obstruction.
              >
              > If the report said the mitral regurgitation is trivial, I wouldn't
              > worry about it. Pye has mild regurgitation (one step up from
              trivial)
              > that was accompanied by SAM, but the atenolol elminated the SAM. The
              > valve is a little thickened in her case so there is a little
              > regurgitation. Only if it gets worse will I be worried.
              > -Susan

            • amanda
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                Hi Katy, I`m glad the check up went well, I agree with the others that I would only be worried if it got worse but she seems to be well and stable, Go girl Belle! hugs and purrs Amanda and Silver chan.

              • toomany_kittys
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Great news!
                  I don't wait a year either. A lot of changes can occur in a year.
                  El