HCM Kitty-Getting Neutered

  • lauriegarris
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hello,

      I have a question I a hoping someone can help me with. I have an HCM
      Bengal kitty, he is 1 year old, currently on 1/2 of 5mg of Benazepril
      daily. He has started spraying, and I need to get him fixed. His
      heart doctor said that it would be a good idea to go ahead with the
      procedure, I am just worried that he will get fat and lazy. Has
      anyone had any experience with this?

      Thanks,
      Laurie
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Laurie

        Maxi was neutered early as he has HCM and he piled on the weight, reaching
        nearly 7kg by 18 months old. He had to go to the weight management clinic and
        was put on a special Hills diet food which has done him wonders. He's under
        6kg now, looking sleek and very energetic. I think the thing we did wrong was
        to let him graze and munch all day long.

        As long as you give them the correct food portions (which are written on the
        tins/packets) and ensure he exercises, he should be fine. My other neuters
        are sleek and healthy.

        Lyn :)

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • janie
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
          You know they are just like us. Eat too much and get lazy yes. Be
          prone to fat genes Yes. Get the cat fixed I could not stand to live
          that way and he will drive you crazy. I had eight cats some are too
          fat some arent. The heart kitties are pacers and they were not fat.
          Walkers. I think get some good food. Like my vet has ours on Hills WD
          and I believe it has made our cats fat as its loaded with carbs and
          corn. I am changing food now and reading lables like I do. Your cat
          wont get fat he will be a more loveable and if he gets fat he would of
          anyway. Janie