My cat just had his 3rd blood clot...(SADDLE THROMBOSIS?)

  • Elin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2008
      Hello all,

      I am writing to see in anyone have some good ideas for me. My 5 year
      old male cat just had his 3rd blood clot, and his rear right leg is
      paralysed. This has happened to him before, but then the left leg.
      Every time he has recovered, although never gotten 100% function in
      his leg again.

      I live in Norway. My veterinarian does not believe in treating this
      condition. In fact, I have been to 3 different vets, and they all
      think euthanizing him is the best thing to do. BUT he is so full of
      life, and has strong spirits. He eats and drinks and it doesnt seem
      like he wants to give up at all. So I am FRUSTRATED over the lack of
      help at the veterinary office.

      I am going to call them again on monday, and demand I get a ultrasound
      scan of his heart.
      ALso- I have read about Nattokinase here, and wants to try this. How
      much do you give the cats?

      If anyone has tips, ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I am
      pretty desperate, and am willing to try anything to prolong his life
      as long as he is in good spirits and doesnt suffer.
      Thank you so much.....
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2008
        Elin ( I hope that is your name),

        I am sorry to hear about your kitty. Please let us know his name. Do the vets think he has a heart condition and just refuse to treat it? There are other things that can cause paralysis in the legs although a heart condition is the most obvious of reasons. If you think that your kitty definitely has a heart condition then you should try the nattokinase especially since nattokinase is the only help for clots that is not prescribed. You will want to purchase nattokinase that does not have vitamin K in it. The natto that I gave my Angel Alec had natto and vitamin E in it and that it OK. Since you live in Norway I can't tell you where to get it exactly but a health food store or over the internet would be the first places to look. I used to get mine over the internet at www.vitaminshoppe.com but I do not know if they ship internationally.

        Since your kitty has had several clots, I would consider giving at least 100mg of natto 2 times a day at minimum. I don't think there is a set amount of what is thought to be best. I used to give my Angel Alec 50mg a day but it was for precaution only. Since your kitty has had clots, I wouldn't suggest that small of amount to start. I don't think that you can overdose, so to speak, but you will need to consider bleeding problems as with all clot prevention medication.

        I hope that some others will weigh in on an amount that would be best. My suggestion is just a guess, really. A somewhat educated guess but just a guess.

        I do suggest being more forceful with your vets and ask if they know of any internal med vets or cardiologist vets for your kitty to see. If your kitty does have heart problems, he should be on heart meds. You could also give him supplements like CoEnzyme Q10, taurine and l-carnitine, as well, that you can buy over the counter and not through the vets. Please feel free to ask any questions that you have and we will try our best to help.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec