Re:Heart Coughs

  • Sage Brush
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
      How do you tell a heart cough from asthma or hairballs? I will post later as I do not know how to trim as I do not see anything here to trim?
      Cherie

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
        I've had a heart kitty and an asthma kitty. I'm not sure I can "tell
        them apart" after just hearing them. I hear a cough, any kind of cough,
        and I generally just freak out.

        From what I remember, sound wise, asthma and heart coughs were pretty
        much the same. Thinking about it now (a couple years later), the asthma
        coughs may have lasted a little longer and *sometimes* sounded a little
        wetter maybe but not always. "Hacking" might be a fair description.
        I've rarely heard hairball coughs. I usually just step in the result.
        From what I recall, they sound less from the chest and more in the
        throat. The biggest difference is that you get a hairball at the end.
        With the other two you don't.

        But all of this is purely subjective and after years have gone by.

        Annette

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
          Hi

          I can never tell the difference between hairballs and a cardiac cough, so
          would love some information on how to find out! Furballs are always left on the
          floor for me to stand on in the morning and for the most horrible second I
          think they are something else!

          Lyn :)

          www.furkids-uk.com