Bo's Pancreatitis

  • Barbara Kraus
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26 8:59 AM
      Hi all,

      My 12yo cat, Bo, has pancreatitis and, we assume, IBD. We haven't
      scoped him for IBD as he also has a heart condition and we want to avoid
      anethesia so work under the assumption that if the pancreas is inflamed,
      other organs are likely to be as well. He has been doing great - after
      diagnosis, he was on metronidzole for a few months and has been on
      budesonide consistently. He also ate yogurt with his evening meal. His
      other meds are Cardio-Strength, lotensin, and pepcid. About a month
      ago, his appetite changed somewhat dramatically. He quit eating canned
      food and will only eat one type of dry called The Good Life. He will
      also eat Greenies. He's eating considerably less as well and has lost
      about 1/2 lb. We started him on the Pepcid in case his stomach was
      bothering him. The vet can't find anything on examination or with a
      blood panel. We are rerunning parts of the GI panel again today. I
      think it's PTLI?

      His heart murmur has actually improved from a 3/6 to not quite a 1/6.

      Any ideas about what might have caused this change? I did bring a
      foster cat in which has added some tension but he doesn't show any other
      behavior that might suggest that he's anymore stressed than before I
      brought the foster cat in. He already had to deal with one insolent
      young'n. :) And nothing's changed with his best bud, a 4yo gal named
      Emmy.

      I would greatly appreciate any insights you might have.

      Thanks!

      Barbara

    • Sharyl

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30 1:06 PM
          Hi Barbara,

          In a message dated 3/26/08 12:01:52 PM, bjk5377@... writes:

          > My 12yo cat, Bo, has pancreatitis and, we assume, IBD.

          Is he symptomatic...eg vomiting, diarrhea, guarding, lethargy, passing blood,
          scruffy coat, etc?

          How long as Bo been ill?

          Most important, what has Bo been eating thru his life? Digestive system
          health is directly related to nutrition, and the ingredients in dry food, incl the
          grains found in most dry foods, are a risk for digestive system disorders such
          as bowel and pancreatic inflammation...which are related, as is hepatitis, in
          what is being called "triaditis." And inflammation of the pancreas, along
          with a diet of high-carbohydrate dry food, is implicated in diabetes.

          > We haven't scoped him for IBD

          Nor is it necessary, strictly speaking, unless you're looking for cancer. B/c
          the treatment in conventional medicine for bowel inflammation is the same no
          matter whether the villi are flattened and the gut walls thickened or not:
          metronidazole, steroids, and cancer drugs (such as budesonide).

          An excerpt from a veterinary pathologist at http://www.histovet.com/W95.asp:
          "One of the great myths of our time is that endoscopic biopsy can diagnose
          inflammatory bowel disease."

          > He has been doing great - after
          > diagnosis, he was on metronidzole for a few months and has been on
          > budesonide consistently.

          Good that he was doing great. Both of these drugs can be useful for managing
          symptoms...but neither is useful for healing the digestive and immune systems
          and resolving the problem.

          >   He also ate yogurt with his evening meal.

          Good that he's eating...but I would be concerned that the milk proteins and
          lactose in a cow dairy product could be a trigger for the digestive system
          problems.

          > About a month
          > ago, his appetite changed somewhat dramatically.  He quit eating canned
          > food and will only eat one type of dry called The Good Life. He will
          > also eat Greenies.  He's eating considerably less as well and has lost
          > about 1/2 lb.

          I know it's very important that Bo eats...but it's also important, to the
          extent possible, to eliminate the triggers that are disturbing the digestive
          system.

          These are the primary ingredients of Good Life dry food: ground corn,
          chicken-by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat, chicken, whole grain brown
          rice, natural poultry flavor, dried peas, dried beet pulp, wheat flour, rice,
          brewers dried yeast.

          Corn is the first ingredient in this product...for cats, who have no
          evolutionary history of eating grains and have limited ability to process
          carbohydrates...and is a common "allergen" that can cause bowel problems. 8 of the top 12
          ingredients are from plants, which, again, have a very limited role in the
          cat's evolutionary diet, and consequently, the cat's physiology is ill-equipped
          to handle them, which gives rise to adverse reactions. This is one of the
          contributing factors to digestive problems...just as if you ate the bamboo diet of
          a panda bear.

          Further, the product contains about 30% calories from carbohydrate...cats
          require 0% and consume 3-5% in the evolutionary diet...which is a risk factor for
          diabetes. And also 1.3g fiber/100 calories...whereas cats have evolved
          consuming prey with about 0.2-0.4g/100 calories...which is also a potentially
          irritant to the digestive system and a factor in diarrhea, which is not unheard of
          with bowel inflammation and pancreatitis.

          Greenies are along the same lines...with rice, wheat, corn, fish, yeast,
          etc...all potentially problematic.

          Which is all a long way around of saying that what goes in the digestive
          tract determines what goes on inside it and what comes out...and giving drugs to
          manage digestive system problems while continuing to fuel those problems with
          "allergenic" ingredients is counterproductive. Sort of like putting cough
          medicine in cigarettes.

          We started him on the Pepcid in case his stomach was
          > bothering him.

          Pepcid is an acid blocker for the stomach. Bowel and pancreatic inflammation
          are a diff. issue. Slippery elm bark can be helpful in managing nausea, as
          well as soothing the digestive tract and normalizing water balance in the gut.

          > The vet can't find anything on examination or with a
          > blood panel.

          Bowel inflammation doesn't typically show up in blood panels, except
          sometimes as elevated WBC. Pancreatitis is notoriously difficult to diagnose...even
          when looking at pancreatic enzymes (protease, lipase, amylase) + PLI/TLI +
          ultrasound + clinical signs.

          > We are rerunning parts of the GI panel again today.  I
          > think it's PTLI?

          There are 2 tests: PLI and TLI. See Steiner's GI Lab info at Texas A + M at:
          http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/assays/index.shtml .

          > His heart murmur has actually improved from a 3/6 to not quite a 1/6.

          Great!!

          > Any ideas about what might have caused this change?

          His digestive system probably doesn't feel too good...which can reduce
          appetite, among other problems. Bowel inflammation is a progressive, potentially
          life-threatening disorder...and the medications Bo is taking manage symptoms,
          rather than healing the damaged tissues. Pancreatitis is thought to be quite
          uncomfortable, if not painful.

          > I would greatly appreciate any insights you might have.

          There is a lot we can do at home to resolve bowel inflammation...and also aid
          with pancreatic inflammation. First and foremost is a high-quality, simple or
          limited ingredient, species-appropriate diet...with no corn, wheat, grains in
          general, fish, yeast, soy, cow dairy, beef, and other triggers and possibly
          with a novel protein, such as rabbit or venison. A fresh food diet where you
          can control the ingredients yourself is ideal. Some examples of commercial
          products incl Nature's Variety canned rabbit or venison and the new EVO canned 95%
          meat products, incl venison and duck.

          Remedies for the digestive tract itself that can help reduce inflammation,
          support a healthy ecology, and aid with nutrient absorption and appetite incl:
          slippery elm bark, nondairy probiotics, injectable Vit B12 (see
          http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin.shtml ), Standard Process Feline Enteric
          Support (see http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=347
          ), and L-glutamine.

          Remedies for pancreatic inflammation incl: subQ fluids, possibly dig. enzymes
          (animal source), Reiki, acupuncture, and certain homeopathics, incl Iris
          versicolor. There was recently a thread on this with Carol at the thread starting
          at #32413.

          Support for the immune system incl: Transfer Factor (human Classic) and such
          techniques as NAET (see www.vetnaet.com).

          Some articles with information about bowel inflammation, pancreatitis, and
          triaditis incl:

          1. "Feline GI Pearls" at
          http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00114.htm

          2. "Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Feline Pancreatic Disease" at
          www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMTNAVC2003&PID=3670

          3. "Feline Pancreatitis" at
          www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00120.htm

          4. "Diseases of the Exocrine Pancreas" at
          http://maxshouse.com/diseases_of_the_exocrine_pancrea.htm

          // Rosemary