Help, need medication experiences

  • ramtrimble@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2001
      My cat Rusty has been diagonosed with HCM for two years (he is four( and was
      stable, but now suddenly he has progressed and worsening on his ultrasound,
      but strangely looks fine and no less healthy. He is still on Atenolol twice
      a day and now they have added enafranil. I am worried to start it because of
      its side effects. What is everyone else's experience with enafranil. The
      vet also told me it is pretty recent that it has been used in cats. Thank
      you for any input.

      Robin and Rusty

    • diane
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
        Hi Robin,

        Just wanted to let you know your post did get through but
        unfortunately I have not even heard of that drug. Kearra was on
        Atenolol and then Enecard. They all have side affects of some sort
        and we were lucky that she never developed any of them.

        What side affects does it have?

        Diane

        >My cat Rusty has been diagonosed with HCM for two years (he is four( and was
        >stable, but now suddenly he has progressed and worsening on his ultrasound,
        >but strangely looks fine and no less healthy. He is still on Atenolol twice
        >a day and now they have added enafranil. I am worried to start it because of
        >its side effects. What is everyone else's experience with enafranil. The
        >vet also told me it is pretty recent that it has been used in cats. Thank
        >you for any input.
        >
        >Robin and Rusty
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001

          I'm assuming you mean enalapril? Our old guy Lynx was on this for his
          severely diseased heart. He did absolutely wonderfully on this drug. Not
          only did it help his heart, but his kidney values actually improved while on
          it (they were originally at the high end of the normal range).

          As far as it being only recently used in cats, this is only tru in
          conparisom to some of the other drugs. I.e., it has been used for years in
          cats (as opposed to 10 years or more). Our vet said that all of the studies
          on its use in cats are showing great results.

          --
          JR
          Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
            If this is Enalarpril, it was 1 of the drugs that Dom was on when he
            had the drug toxicity. I have told this story here a zillion times
            now so I won't post it again. If you haven't read it, you may email
            and I will be glad to tell you his experience.

            I also think I remember that when Lindas Pum had all of the problems
            a few weeks ago, she had just started Enalarpril. I am not positive
            of this but maybe someone else remembers more.

            Jeanne, Dom, Bono & Louie

          • VHess2000@cs.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
              I've never seen any negative side effects from Enalapril. It would depend
              what your cat's overall constitution is like and on other health problems
              that might complicate the HCM.

              Victoria
            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 6:13 PM
                it's sthe kidneys that you have to watch....we did a bun check after 9 wks
                and the bun was slightly elevated but the cardio vet was elated that pum was
                managing it ok....then somone here said that yoyu have to ck the creatinine
                also and really do a full renal profile to know what's going on and so i did
                it and was devastated at the results...the creat was up, sodium too, and
                guess what his bun was lower than previous test....so if i had onlyl done
                the bun ck the vet wouldl've said" great results" and looking back i saw the
                signs sthat pum was not ok and yet i put my trust in the vet's
                guidance....well, like you know sthat you have to just keep on top of
                doctors all the time....so now, we have discountinued the enelapril and are
                continueing with only the atenolol and cq10....

                linda

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2 6:13 PM
                  i think the other option is diltiazem but i'm sure that has side effect
                  potential as well...anyone have any experience of side effects from
                  diltiazem???

                  linda