Latest.... can someone help?

  • Dawn, Angel Max, Jasper and Lilly the kit
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2008
      My nearly 2 year old abysinnian who cat (still call her kitten as she
      is normally a luny) but has a grade 1 heart murmur.
      Last night she was sick quite a few times and today she has had a
      little diarrohea.
      She hasnt been sick during the day - the last was at about 6.30 this
      morning and she has had a little to eat the later part of today.
      But she has been not herself - very quiet.
      I cannot see other symptons.
      The only thing I can think off was that my other cat last night had a
      headache - but they are both indoor cats and havent had another
      animal in the house.
      Is it something she might of eaten - a plant (albeit I havent
      introduced anything new to the house)? or is there something more I
      should be aware of? She hasnt got a swollen abdomin or ulcers (that I
      can see). She has a glossy coat as usual. Shes also not dehydrated.
      Any ideas? Thank you x
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2008
        Hello Dawn

        Kitties can be sick for all sorts of reasons, and mine are often sick this
        time of year with furballs. They can also get tummy upsets just like children.
        Usually it clears up really quickly, but if it doesn't, or is also green,
        smelly or lots of diarrhoea, I`d contact the vet. It sounds like she has a dose
        of gastroenteritis, but I`m not a vet. Personally I would wait 24 hours if
        she has no temperature or other symptoms because there's every chance it will
        clear up.

        A grade 1 murmur can also be benign. I have two cats with benign murmurs and
        no known cause, but I would always have any murmur in a cat over 6 months
        checked by ultrasound, and any grade 2+ in a kitten checked.

        Make sure she has plenty of drinks and feed her on chicken and fish for a
        day or so to give her tummy a rest. But trust your instincts.. if you think she
        needs the vet, she does.

        Lyn :)

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • janie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2008
          My daughters cat has done this twice this winter. Weird. Hes indoors
          and he has two little brothers 6 mos. Hes had them since Oct. They
          were not sick. I think they can get a flu and not be outside I dont
          know how. I also know Butterscotch is very nervous and he gets upset
          easy. I stayed at their house a few days and he prob didn't
          understand. Hes really bad when she goes on a business trip she has to
          hide the suitcase as he gets sick. But he seems ok now. I would watch
          him a few days. We get a little jumpy with out heart baby. janie