stopping enalapril?

  • lotusblossom1975
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
      Hi everyone
      My cat Joey was diagnosed in January with intermediate type heart
      failure after an ultrasound and put on Lasix 6.25 mg daily, and
      enalapril 2.5 mg divided twice daily, as well as 1/2 baby aspirin twice
      a week. He has done well on these meds and his recheck ultrasound was
      much better, and it showed that he definetly had HCM. He was started
      on atenolol, 1/4 tab once a day. He has been on the atenolol for 2
      weeks. The past few days his appetite has been down slightly, so I had
      his blood work rechecked, and his kidney values are elevated. The
      cardiologist wants to stop the enalapril. I am a little reluctant to
      do this, as it seemed to be what helped his heart in the first place,
      and he is on a pretty low dose of atenolol. However, I dont want to
      mess up his kidneys. Anyone have an exprience like this?
      Thanks
      Celeste and Joey
    • elanonuevo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
        Hi Celeste, our Oz accidentally got out and went missing for two months this past September.? He came back looking WONDERFUL and tested with almost perfect bloodwork.? Obviously he had been without his meds for two months.? The cardiologist put him back onto the atenelol but upped it to 2x per day and took him off of the enelapril totally.? I was also very hesitant but he has done beautifully and in fact has more energy than he had for quite a while before his little escape act.? Oz has been diagnosed with HCM for going on five years.?

        Tia (and Ozzie)

      • rainycat@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
          Hi Celeste,

          My kitty is currently on enalapril & is stable. he takes 2.5mg 2 x day. He is also a big boy (maine coon) 17 pds. (he did not do well w/the atenolol). He is also on lasix 18.75 2 x/day & spirolactone hctz. I honestly didn't think enalapril caused kidney issues. I know lasix does in large doses. (My kitty was on 50mg & we lowered it as a result of elevated kidney values). and it since has dropped.

          My dog was on enalapril for High blood pressure & she had a kidney protein wasting disease. She was prescribed enalapril as it was less taxing on the kidneys. I'll look it up on the internet. How old & what does Joey weigh.,?

          --
          rainy

          From: "lotusblossom1975" <celesteforgeron@...>
          > Hi everyone
          > My cat Joey was diagnosed in January with intermediate type heart
          > failure after an ultrasound and put on Lasix 6.25 mg daily, and
          > enalapril 2.5 mg divided twice daily, as well as 1/2 baby aspirin twice
          > a week. He has done well on these meds and his recheck ultrasound was
          > much better, and it showed that he definetly had HCM. He was started
          > on atenolol, 1/4 tab once a day. He has been on the atenolol for 2
          > weeks. The past few days his appetite has been down slightly, so I had
          > his blood work rechecked, and his kidney values are elevated. The
          > cardiologist wants to stop the enalapril. I am a little reluctant to
          > do this, as it seemed to be what helped his heart in the first place,
          > and he is on a pretty low dose of atenolol. However, I dont want to
          > mess up his kidneys. Anyone have an exprience like this?
          > Thanks
          > Celeste and Joey

        • Judi Levens
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
            Hi Folks; reading this made me pull out Max's ultrasound result, and I can't find the right values to understand. Can I tell you what they say, and can anyone help me understand what it means in terms of severity?

            IVSd 6.3
            IVSs 7.8
            LVIDd 14.0
            LVIDs 9.3
            LPFWd 5.7
            LPFWs 6.6
            FS 33%
            LA 20.3 mm
            Ao 8.4
            LA/Ao 2.4

            under Comments it says: LVIDd:LPFWd= 2.4 consistant with concentric hypertrophy. There is evidence of distolic dysfunction as evidenced by LA/Ao2.4. No evidence of SAM of Mitral Valve.

            I will so appreciate any insight anyone can offer...thank you...Judi and Max

            To: celesteforgeron@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: rainycat@...: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 01:46:07 +0000Subject: Re: [FH] stopping enalapril?

            Hi Celeste,My kitty is currently on enalapril & is stable. he takes 2.5mg 2 x day. He is also a big boy (maine coon) 17 pds. (he did not do well w/the atenolol). He is also on lasix 18.75 2 x/day & spirolactone hctz. I honestly didn't think enalapril caused kidney issues. I know lasix does in large doses. (My kitty was on 50mg & we lowered it as a result of elevated kidney values). and it since has dropped. My dog was on enalapril for High blood pressure & she had a kidney protein wasting disease. She was prescribed enalapril as it was less taxing on the kidneys. I'll look it up on the internet. How old & what does Joey weigh.,?--rainy-------------- Original message ----------------------From: "lotusblossom1975" <celesteforgeron@...>> Hi everyone> My cat Joey was diagnosed in January with intermediate type heart > failure after an ultrasound and put on Lasix 6.25 mg daily, and > enalapril 2.5 mg divided twice daily, as well as 1/2 baby aspirin twice > a week. He has done well on these meds and his recheck ultrasound was > much better, and it showed that he definetly had HCM. He was started > on atenolol, 1/4 tab once a day. He has been on the atenolol for 2 > weeks. The past few days his appetite has been down slightly, so I had > his blood work rechecked, and his kidney values are elevated. The > cardiologist wants to stop the enalapril. I am a little reluctant to > do this, as it seemed to be what helped his heart in the first place, > and he is on a pretty low dose of atenolol. However, I dont want to > mess up his kidneys. Anyone have an exprience like this?> Thanks> Celeste and Joey> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • lotusblossom1975
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
              Rainy,
              Joey is a little guy, 10 pounds, and 8 years old. He is an orange
              tabby shorthair. The vet intially thought he may have an underlying
              kidney issue, but there is no evidence of that.
            • janie
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2008
                Our cats were on atenolol 25mg 1/2 pill per day. one cat weighed 12
                pounds one lots smaller. I guess you would increase the meds as you
                go off one. I wonder why your changing meds? We did not see a
                difference in our cats when taking it. I think some do have problems.
                Do you have to keep on the lassix forever? Maybe that is part of it.
                We only gave it as we needed it. Just my thoughts. Glad you're here
                with Joey Janie Also one couldn't take the aspirin every three days
                it made her sick.

              • Judi Levens
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
                  Hi Folks; reading a recent email made me pull out Max's ultrasound result, and I can't find anything to make sense. Can I tell you what they say, and can anyone help me understand what it means in terms of severity?IVSd 6.3IVSs 7.8LVIDd 14.0LVIDs 9.3LPFWd 5.7LPFWs 6.6FS 33%LA 20.3 mmAo 8.4LA/Ao 2.4under Comments it says: LVIDd:LPFWd= 2.4 consistant with concentric hypertrophy. There is evidence of distolic dysfunction as evidenced by LA/Ao2.4. No evidence of SAM of Mitral Valve.I am posting this for the second time...maybe no one else understands the values either, but I really want to ask? thanks so much, I will so appreciate any insight anyone can offer...thank you...Judi and MaxTo: celesteforgeron@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: rainycat@...: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 01:46:07 +0000Subject: Re: [FH] stopping enalapril?Hi Celeste,My kitty is currently on enalapril & is stable. he takes 2.5mg 2 x day. He is also a big boy (maine coon) 17 pds. (he did not do well w/the atenolol). He is also on lasix 18.75 2 x/day & spirolactone hctz. I honestly didn't think enalapril caused kidney issues. I know lasix does in large doses. (My kitty was on 50mg & we lowered it as a result of elevated kidney values). and it since has dropped. My dog was on enalapril for High blood pressure & she had a kidney protein wasting disease. She was prescribed enalapril as it was less taxing on the kidneys. I'll look it up on the internet. How old & what does Joey weigh.,?--rainy-------------- Original message ----------------------From: "lotusblossom1975" <celesteforgeron@...>> Hi everyone> My cat Joey was diagnosed in January with intermediate type heart > failure after an ultrasound and put on Lasix 6.25 mg daily, and > enalapril 2.5 mg divided twice daily, as well as 1/2 baby aspirin twice > a week. He has done well on these meds and his recheck ultrasound was > much better, and it showed that he definetly had HCM. He was started > on atenolol, 1/4 tab once a day. He has been on the atenolol for 2 > weeks. The past few days his appetite has been down slightly, so I had > his blood work rechecked, and his kidney values are elevated. The > cardiologist wants to stop the enalapril. I am a little reluctant to > do this, as it seemed to be what helped his heart in the first place, > and he is on a pretty low dose of atenolol. However, I dont want to > mess up his kidneys. Anyone have an exprience like this?> Thanks> Celeste and Joey> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]