CoQ10 (was :Re: Carol - Precise, and CoQ10)

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
      hi Pat,

      I did a lot of searching about this CoQ10 absorption thing, and I
      think you're right.

      What I found was that oral supplementation with powdered form of
      CoQ10, like the capsules we buy, only is absorbed to about 3%...so
      you're not getting much! All these years of giving it to my guys
      (and myself!) and it's probably not been helping at all? yikes!

      Maybe someone else can offer some insight too?

      Here's a few sites with info that I found. I hope the links come out
      okay. I made tinyurl links to the ones that were long.

      http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=138112 or
      http://tinyurl.com/2nco37

      http://www.tongkatali.net/coq10.html

      http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/en/994.html?
      mnsid=cb7feec17c079f68186ea620ef988a07 or http://tinyurl.com/32ryjj
      (this one is just a vitamin site selling a particular brand -
      Twinlab Twinsorb CoQ10 - talking about it's absorption compared to
      other brands)

      If anyone else has any info on this, I'd really like to see it. If
      this is true, that they're not absorbing hardly any of the powder
      form, then I'm going to change them over to one of these "liquid"
      ones. This is a real bummer, 'cause the powder ones are so easy to
      give...open the capsule and empty in the food, zip-zip and your
      done! And they don't taste bad. The stuff in the liqui-gels is icky
      thick stuff that is so hard to squeeze out, and it tastes bad. It
      tastes like the way motor oil smells! At least the one I tried
      years ago was like that. It was Jarrow Q-sorb and it was like super-
      duper thick and you could hardly squeeze it out of the liqui-gel.
      That's why I switched over to the powder ones... bad move I guess.
      {sigh}

      Anyway... other opinions on this are very welcomed.

      Carol and Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
      (angels Fritzy 2/02, Sweetie 10/03, Ducky 11/05, Bouncer 4/06, Muffy
      11/06 and Chris 9/07)

      "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

      The CoQ10 is not effective unless you are using gelcaps, meaning the
      ones you can't open.

    • Sharyl

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
          hi Sharyl,

          Can I ask, what brand is it that you use? Before I start trying ones
          trial and error, maybe the one you use will appeal to Snowball too.

          We're having a bad morning. :-( Snowball got up to spewing twice
          with foamy stuff again, so now she's not eating again. It wouldn't
          be so bad that she spews, but she just gets so wiped out on the days
          that she does, it takes her a whole day to recuperate, and that
          means, no supplements at all, because her fussiness goes beyond
          fussy when she doesn't want to eat. I have to just offer her food
          without anything in it to get her to eat at all.

          And she was just getting over the Reglan fiasco from over the
          weekend. It took her until yesterday to feel better from that.
          Hopefully if she feels better tomorrow, I can try the new CoQ10.

          Thanks,
          Carol and the gang

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sharyl <clinebay@...> wrote:

          > Carol, that's funny cause my Pequita loves the CoQ10 from the soft
          gels.
        • Pat
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
            Hi Carol;

            Wow! Thanks for finding links that at least have some reference material I
            can track down. It is important to know the criteria and procedures that
            were in use for these studies as there is usually an agenda or bias to
            prove, or disprove something, and one needs to be able to find out whether
            this bias is relevent to one's needs.

            As you are so busy with Snowball, I am amazed you had the time to collect
            some interesting sites. :-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
              Hi , my cat has been taking puritans pride brand COQ10 gel caps, in 10 mg dose 2 x aday, it`s easy to squeeze out and he likes the taste, he`s been on it for 3 years. hope this helps. Amanda and Silver chan.

            • Sharyl
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
                Carol, I have been using GNC Preventive Nutrition CoQ-10 30 mg. Got this from the GNC site.
                Other Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Chlorophyll, Gelatin, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener)
                No Starch, No Sugar, No Artificial Color, No Artificial Flavors, No Preservatives, Sodium Free, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Dairy, No Corn, Yeast Free

                I hope I haven't blown it. Just got a bottle of the Jarrow Formula Q-absorb CoQ-10 30 mg when I'm finished with the GNC bottle.
                Other Ingredients
                Lecithin and Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCG). Softgel consists of gelatin, glycerin and water. Carob extract added as a light barrier.
                Contains: Soy
                No wheat, no gluten, no dairy, no egg, no fish/shellfish, no nuts/tree nuts

                When Pequita is feeling punk I feed her a jar of meat baby food (no onion or garlic). That seems to pick up her energy and spirits. She loves licking it off one of those coated baby spoons.

                Don't know if this would help Snowball but I have been adding 1/8 tsp of slippery elm bark to Pequita's food in place of pilling the Pepcid AC. She is a terror to pill but doesn't seem to mind the SEB in her food. So far no spewing or lip licking.
                Hugs to Snowball