Carol - Precise, and CoQ10

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 11:06 AM
      Hi Carol and Group;

      You mentioned that you are using Precise for your cat. It *does* have guar
      gum, and also has Carrageenan, which is much worse when it comes to throwing
      up related problems.

      There is information on carrageenan at one of my sites below, but I can also
      give you a very clear picture of what the ingredient can be doing to your
      cat as I have a personal issue that needs meds for counteracting the effects
      of carrageenan. For a few years we tried PepcidAC but it didn't touch this
      problem so you may want to discuss prescribed medication with your vet.
      There are a couple of very good options, and one is a once a day pill.

      I have a casein intolerance, (milk protein), so use soy milk instead as the
      only choice I have, and the carrageenan causes me to regurgitate food if I
      just bend over to pick something up. There is no nausea issue involved, but
      if I don't take the meds before the carrageenan, there will be some point in
      the day where I will have a GERD reaction from the soy milk, or some other
      product with carrageenan.

      The CoQ10 is not effective unless you are using gelcaps, meaning the ones
      you can't open. This is mentioned the odd time in human nutrition circles,
      but I don't remember why the difference and it hasn't been a big issue
      because I focus on the ingredients you see on pet food labels when it comes
      to gathering information for cats. I wish I had the time to track down the
      source of this recommendation.

      Now I am off to find an oxygen cylinder and mask for Pepper who is
      continually pushing himself by running up fences instead of around them. We
      see him deteriorating day by day, now.

      Pat and all the boys.
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4 12:17 AM
        hi Pat,

        I did a lot of searching about this CoQ10 absorption thing, and I
        think you're right.

        What I found was that oral supplementation with powdered form of
        CoQ10, like the capsules we buy, only is absorbed to about 3%...so
        you're not getting much! All these years of giving it to my guys
        (and myself!) and it's probably not been helping at all? yikes!

        Maybe someone else can offer some insight too?

        Here's a few sites with info that I found. I hope the links come out
        okay. I made tinyurl links to the ones that were long.

        http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=138112 or
        http://tinyurl.com/2nco37

        http://www.tongkatali.net/coq10.html

        http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/en/994.html?
        mnsid=cb7feec17c079f68186ea620ef988a07 or http://tinyurl.com/32ryjj
        (this one is just a vitamin site selling a particular brand -
        Twinlab Twinsorb CoQ10 - talking about it's absorption compared to
        other brands)

        If anyone else has any info on this, I'd really like to see it. If
        this is true, that they're not absorbing hardly any of the powder
        form, then I'm going to change them over to one of these "liquid"
        ones. This is a real bummer, 'cause the powder ones are so easy to
        give...open the capsule and empty in the food, zip-zip and your
        done! And they don't taste bad. The stuff in the liqui-gels is icky
        thick stuff that is so hard to squeeze out, and it tastes bad. It
        tastes like the way motor oil smells! At least the one I tried
        years ago was like that. It was Jarrow Q-sorb and it was like super-
        duper thick and you could hardly squeeze it out of the liqui-gel.
        That's why I switched over to the powder ones... bad move I guess.
        {sigh}

        Anyway... other opinions on this are very welcomed.

        Carol and Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
        (angels Fritzy 2/02, Sweetie 10/03, Ducky 11/05, Bouncer 4/06, Muffy
        11/06 and Chris 9/07)

        "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

        The CoQ10 is not effective unless you are using gelcaps, meaning the
        ones you can't open.

      • Sharyl

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4 7:41 AM
            hi Sharyl,

            Can I ask, what brand is it that you use? Before I start trying ones
            trial and error, maybe the one you use will appeal to Snowball too.

            We're having a bad morning. :-( Snowball got up to spewing twice
            with foamy stuff again, so now she's not eating again. It wouldn't
            be so bad that she spews, but she just gets so wiped out on the days
            that she does, it takes her a whole day to recuperate, and that
            means, no supplements at all, because her fussiness goes beyond
            fussy when she doesn't want to eat. I have to just offer her food
            without anything in it to get her to eat at all.

            And she was just getting over the Reglan fiasco from over the
            weekend. It took her until yesterday to feel better from that.
            Hopefully if she feels better tomorrow, I can try the new CoQ10.

            Thanks,
            Carol and the gang

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4 8:41 AM
              Hi Carol;

              Wow! Thanks for finding links that at least have some reference material I
              can track down. It is important to know the criteria and procedures that
              were in use for these studies as there is usually an agenda or bias to
              prove, or disprove something, and one needs to be able to find out whether
              this bias is relevent to one's needs.

              As you are so busy with Snowball, I am amazed you had the time to collect
              some interesting sites. :-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5 3:30 AM
                Hi , my cat has been taking puritans pride brand COQ10 gel caps, in 10 mg dose 2 x aday, it`s easy to squeeze out and he likes the taste, he`s been on it for 3 years. hope this helps. Amanda and Silver chan.

              • Sharyl
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5 6:21 AM
                  Carol, I have been using GNC Preventive Nutrition CoQ-10 30 mg. Got this from the GNC site.
                  Other Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Chlorophyll, Gelatin, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener)
                  No Starch, No Sugar, No Artificial Color, No Artificial Flavors, No Preservatives, Sodium Free, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Dairy, No Corn, Yeast Free

                  I hope I haven't blown it. Just got a bottle of the Jarrow Formula Q-absorb CoQ-10 30 mg when I'm finished with the GNC bottle.
                  Other Ingredients
                  Lecithin and Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCG). Softgel consists of gelatin, glycerin and water. Carob extract added as a light barrier.
                  Contains: Soy
                  No wheat, no gluten, no dairy, no egg, no fish/shellfish, no nuts/tree nuts

                  When Pequita is feeling punk I feed her a jar of meat baby food (no onion or garlic). That seems to pick up her energy and spirits. She loves licking it off one of those coated baby spoons.

                  Don't know if this would help Snowball but I have been adding 1/8 tsp of slippery elm bark to Pequita's food in place of pilling the Pepcid AC. She is a terror to pill but doesn't seem to mind the SEB in her food. So far no spewing or lip licking.
                  Hugs to Snowball