Re:baby food and gel cap

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hi Andrew,

      I used Gerber baby food - usually lamb.
      Just be careful to select a food that lacks
      onion and garlic.

      There is a great link at Cornell about
      how to pill a cat. I think I added it to
      the links section at the main msg
      board, but if not:
      http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/
      http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/pill_or_capsule/index.shtml

      For me, I would come up behind Cozette, pet her, and
      then with her head pointed away from me and with her
      against my body, I would gently hold her head in my
      non-dominant hand, and quickly stick my finger in the
      space on the side of her mouth where there is a
      natural
      pocket, pop open her mouth, slide the pill (wrapped in
      something soft like cheese or a pill pocket so as not
      to scratch her mouth or throat) to the
      back of her tongue, then point her head upward and
      rub her throat. I followed this with several of her
      favorite treats not only as a reward, but also to make
      sure that she swallowed everything and that it wasn't
      stuck in her throat.

      If she spit it out, she got grabbed, placed on the
      floor,
      and I used the same technique except she got placed
      between my thighs as I squatted with my ankles
      crossed behind me so she couldn't back out.

      The whole thing took about 2 seconds once I got
      the technique down. I had much less success trying
      to hide pills in treats. She would chew, find that
      the
      pill was a different texture and spit out the pill
      while
      enjoying the treat.

      If you go through the archives, there are several
      threads
      on how to best pill a kitty. There are also photos of
      the process in the photos section of the msg board -
      posted by "somnamblst" or some other misspelling of
      "sleepwalker"

      Best,

      Nala

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
        Hi Andrew

        I don't know anything about babyfood, but you could try puree-ing a good
        quality cat food.. I think you can buy a hand puree-er (however it is spelled!)

        Have you tried fish paste for pills or a piece of warm chicken where it is
        deeply buried? I have tried everything and have to rotate what I use or they
        get suspicious!

        :) Lyn
        www.furkids-uk.com

      • mrthhrndvs
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hi Andrew:

          Something to watch for as well is that in some brands of baby food the
          ingredients aren't all listed...Ie important to ensure that there are
          no onions (toxic to cats) in the brand that you buy..also the expiry
          date...also watch for garlic - very bad for cats.

          My cat is impossible to pill and its just not worth the anguish to her
          or me...also some stuff on problems that can arise in pilling a
          cat...ie pills can stay and not move into stomach all kinds of nasty
          stuff...I used to use pill pockets (brand name) however now I buy the
          inexpensive Purina Luvs Treats (I only use these for pilling and not
          as a food or treat/ like most treats they are filled with by-products
          and sugar etc.) only 1 for each pill and my cat will eat the treat
          which I mold around the pill (chicken is her favourite) and she eats
          the pill...if she happens to eat "around" the pill I put the pill into
          another and she usually manages to take it on the second try. Been
          using these for about 3 years no problems...2 pills daily.

          Might work for your Charlie..and not as upsetting as syringing...

        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2008
            Hi Andrew,

            In a message dated 3/1/08 5:10:24 PM, lawstu.uk@... writes:

            > When I had to syringe Charlie, I didn't use the baby food in the UK
            > because it contains quite a bit of carbohydrates. I was told in the
            > US, the baby food is of much better quality

            In the US, we have pure-meat baby food with virtually no carbohydrate
            content. The 2 main brands are Gerber and BeechNut. Altho I haven't compared labels
            recently, Gerber pure-meat foods used to, and may still, contain cornstarch,
            whereas BeechNut did not...altho BeechNut doesn't list what ingredients are in
            its "broth."

            The USDA nutrient database lists the same carbohydrate content...0.07g per
            71g (2.5 oz)...for both brands of chicken meat, for example. However, BeechNut
            lists 0 carbohydrate on its site for that product, as well as slightly diff.
            protein and fat values. See:
            http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/product.asp?P=14511&Category=4&SearchValue=chicken&SearchVals=chicken&ListValue=3&
            SearchType=By%20Keyword&ProdType= . Gerber does not list nutrient content for
            the pure-meat foods on its site.

            > So I'm wondering if
            > anyone can let me know which brand and what flavour is good for a
            > sick cat or does your cat like.

            We use BeechNut only. We also used to use Heinz (which did not contain
            cornstarch)...but I don't believe it's still sold in the US (at least not near me,
            since about 2003 or so). It might still be available in Canada. See
            http://www.heinzbaby.com

            > So anyone who has experiences with giving your cat tablets or pills,
            > please share with me

            There's a good site with illustrations about how to gently pill a cat at:
            www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html.

            One other thing (tho you didn't ask about it)...the size of the pill is
            important given the cat's small mouth and throat. We use about a size #2 gelcap or
            smaller (or pills of comparable size) for most purposes. There's a chart with
            gelcap sizes here (if you need it):
            http://www.torpac.com/Reference/unlinked_size_chart.htm .

            I think the other very important part of pilling is communicating with the
            cat about what we're doing and why, using a soft voice, positive words, very
            relaxed body language, and strong visualization of the steps involved, with a
            positive outcome. The more stressed we are, the more we anticipate failure and
            negative reaction from the cat (who, understandably, doesn't want a human
            forcing anything in his mouth), the more stressed the cat becomes. So we need to
            approach pilling as a partnership, acknowledging the cat's feelings and asking
            for cooperation so that we can help the cat be healthy. // Rosemary