baby food and gel cap

  • lawstu_uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi group,

      I need your advice and experiences.

      When I had to syringe Charlie, I didn't use the baby food in the UK
      because it contains quite a bit of carbohydrates. I was told in the
      US, the baby food is of much better quality.. So I'm wondering if
      anyone can let me know which brand and what flavour is good for a
      sick cat or does your cat like. I'd like to buy it in the US and
      stock a dozen in case I need it in the future..

      Second question is -- I don't know how to give my cat tablets or
      pills.. I used to be able to hide it in a tab pocket or chicken. It
      doesn't work now. Since I syringed Charlie, he has not really
      forgiven me -- he wouldn't let my hand anywhere close to his throat
      or mouth anymore and he stops eating food from my hand. I bought
      Primula cheese today but he doesn't seem too interested... I'm
      thinking to use gel caps but I'm hesitant to use a pill gun.. For two
      weeks, I've had to force his mouth open and throw the tablet in..

      I have to give him tablets twice a day and it isn't pretty..

      So anyone who has experiences with giving your cat tablets or pills,
      please share with me... especially UK members who can tell me if
      there is any magic treat they would just eat it!

      Thanks in advance and hope everyone is well.

      Andrew
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        Hi Andrew,

        I used Gerber baby food - usually lamb.
        Just be careful to select a food that lacks
        onion and garlic.

        There is a great link at Cornell about
        how to pill a cat. I think I added it to
        the links section at the main msg
        board, but if not:
        http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/
        http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/pill_or_capsule/index.shtml

        For me, I would come up behind Cozette, pet her, and
        then with her head pointed away from me and with her
        against my body, I would gently hold her head in my
        non-dominant hand, and quickly stick my finger in the
        space on the side of her mouth where there is a
        natural
        pocket, pop open her mouth, slide the pill (wrapped in
        something soft like cheese or a pill pocket so as not
        to scratch her mouth or throat) to the
        back of her tongue, then point her head upward and
        rub her throat. I followed this with several of her
        favorite treats not only as a reward, but also to make
        sure that she swallowed everything and that it wasn't
        stuck in her throat.

        If she spit it out, she got grabbed, placed on the
        floor,
        and I used the same technique except she got placed
        between my thighs as I squatted with my ankles
        crossed behind me so she couldn't back out.

        The whole thing took about 2 seconds once I got
        the technique down. I had much less success trying
        to hide pills in treats. She would chew, find that
        the
        pill was a different texture and spit out the pill
        while
        enjoying the treat.

        If you go through the archives, there are several
        threads
        on how to best pill a kitty. There are also photos of
        the process in the photos section of the msg board -
        posted by "somnamblst" or some other misspelling of
        "sleepwalker"

        Best,

        Nala

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi Andrew

          I don't know anything about babyfood, but you could try puree-ing a good
          quality cat food.. I think you can buy a hand puree-er (however it is spelled!)

          Have you tried fish paste for pills or a piece of warm chicken where it is
          deeply buried? I have tried everything and have to rotate what I use or they
          get suspicious!

          :) Lyn
          www.furkids-uk.com

        • mrthhrndvs
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
            Hi Andrew:

            Something to watch for as well is that in some brands of baby food the
            ingredients aren't all listed...Ie important to ensure that there are
            no onions (toxic to cats) in the brand that you buy..also the expiry
            date...also watch for garlic - very bad for cats.

            My cat is impossible to pill and its just not worth the anguish to her
            or me...also some stuff on problems that can arise in pilling a
            cat...ie pills can stay and not move into stomach all kinds of nasty
            stuff...I used to use pill pockets (brand name) however now I buy the
            inexpensive Purina Luvs Treats (I only use these for pilling and not
            as a food or treat/ like most treats they are filled with by-products
            and sugar etc.) only 1 for each pill and my cat will eat the treat
            which I mold around the pill (chicken is her favourite) and she eats
            the pill...if she happens to eat "around" the pill I put the pill into
            another and she usually manages to take it on the second try. Been
            using these for about 3 years no problems...2 pills daily.

            Might work for your Charlie..and not as upsetting as syringing...

          • savionna@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2008
              Hi Andrew,

              In a message dated 3/1/08 5:10:24 PM, lawstu.uk@... writes:

              > When I had to syringe Charlie, I didn't use the baby food in the UK
              > because it contains quite a bit of carbohydrates. I was told in the
              > US, the baby food is of much better quality

              In the US, we have pure-meat baby food with virtually no carbohydrate
              content. The 2 main brands are Gerber and BeechNut. Altho I haven't compared labels
              recently, Gerber pure-meat foods used to, and may still, contain cornstarch,
              whereas BeechNut did not...altho BeechNut doesn't list what ingredients are in
              its "broth."

              The USDA nutrient database lists the same carbohydrate content...0.07g per
              71g (2.5 oz)...for both brands of chicken meat, for example. However, BeechNut
              lists 0 carbohydrate on its site for that product, as well as slightly diff.
              protein and fat values. See:
              http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/product.asp?P=14511&Category=4&SearchValue=chicken&SearchVals=chicken&ListValue=3&
              SearchType=By%20Keyword&ProdType= . Gerber does not list nutrient content for
              the pure-meat foods on its site.

              > So I'm wondering if
              > anyone can let me know which brand and what flavour is good for a
              > sick cat or does your cat like.

              We use BeechNut only. We also used to use Heinz (which did not contain
              cornstarch)...but I don't believe it's still sold in the US (at least not near me,
              since about 2003 or so). It might still be available in Canada. See
              http://www.heinzbaby.com

              > So anyone who has experiences with giving your cat tablets or pills,
              > please share with me

              There's a good site with illustrations about how to gently pill a cat at:
              www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html.

              One other thing (tho you didn't ask about it)...the size of the pill is
              important given the cat's small mouth and throat. We use about a size #2 gelcap or
              smaller (or pills of comparable size) for most purposes. There's a chart with
              gelcap sizes here (if you need it):
              http://www.torpac.com/Reference/unlinked_size_chart.htm .

              I think the other very important part of pilling is communicating with the
              cat about what we're doing and why, using a soft voice, positive words, very
              relaxed body language, and strong visualization of the steps involved, with a
              positive outcome. The more stressed we are, the more we anticipate failure and
              negative reaction from the cat (who, understandably, doesn't want a human
              forcing anything in his mouth), the more stressed the cat becomes. So we need to
              approach pilling as a partnership, acknowledging the cat's feelings and asking
              for cooperation so that we can help the cat be healthy. // Rosemary