Re:Diabetic, CRF, Cardio Kitty - some questions

  • Sharyl
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
      There is a school of thought that Benazepril, an Ace Inhibitor, actually helps early stage CRF. It decreases the BP in the kidneys and is mainly processed thru the liver. Worth talking to your vet about. Many CRF kitties in the UK an Europe are automatically put on Benazepril.
      Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert

      Hi Everyone. My cat Spunky is 17 years old, diabetic, and
      borderline CRF. December 2007 he was diagnsed with HCM, although
      not really symptomatic. His vet detected a heart murmer, so we had
      an ultrasound done. We chose not to start treating him because of
      his compromised kidneys until he became symptomatic.

      Several weeks ago, he was very reluctant about eating and started
      showing some labored breathing so we took him to the vets. His x-
      ray revealed that he had some fluid building up around his heart, so
      he was given a shot of Lasix and put on Lasix (a very small dose)
      twice a day. Thankfully he seems stable at the present time. My
      vet suggested putting him on enalipril, but I don't want to do that
      until we get another blood panel on him. But I hate stressing him
      out with another visit because of his heart, so we were giving him
      some time between visits. But we'll probably take him soon.

      Is it advisable to just go with the Lasix until he seems to need the
      Ace inhibitor? His last BP was still good.

      Any thoughts on this? We do want to do the right thing, but are
      trying to add medications only as they become necessary because of
      the kidneys.