Diabetic, CRF, Cardio Kitty - some questions

  • s_l_toth
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2008
      Hi Everyone. My cat Spunky is 17 years old, diabetic, and
      borderline CRF. December 2007 he was diagnsed with HCM, although
      not really symptomatic. His vet detected a heart murmer, so we had
      an ultrasound done. We chose not to start treating him because of
      his compromised kidneys until he became symptomatic.

      Several weeks ago, he was very reluctant about eating and started
      showing some labored breathing so we took him to the vets. His x-
      ray revealed that he had some fluid building up around his heart, so
      he was given a shot of Lasix and put on Lasix (a very small dose)
      twice a day. Thankfully he seems stable at the present time. My
      vet suggested putting him on enalipril, but I don't want to do that
      until we get another blood panel on him. But I hate stressing him
      out with another visit because of his heart, so we were giving him
      some time between visits. But we'll probably take him soon.

      Is it advisable to just go with the Lasix until he seems to need the
      Ace inhibitor? His last BP was still good.

      Any thoughts on this? We do want to do the right thing, but are
      trying to add medications only as they become necessary because of
      the kidneys.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
        Hiya

        Others will reply with more experience of heart/renal than I have, but I
        think heart always comes first from what I have read here. The fortekor will
        help relax his heart and help his HCM, and mine take it with no problems to the
        kidneys. However, none of mine have renal failure.

        I guess it's a balancing act to try and support both organs, as lasix is
        hard on the kidneys. Sorry I can't offer more help, but there are others here
        who have successfully dealt with both :)

        Lyn

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • lorkatz2004
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
          ---
          My hat's off to you.........you have done an excellent job with your
          furkid to have Spunky make it to 17 years of age. This tells me he is
          a beloved family member and has excellent vet care!

          My cat has both HCM/PKD. Kidney and heart problems but for treatments
          always remember that the heart trumps the kidneys. Without that heart
          beating, you have no need to treat the kidneys. Don't overload the
          heart by giving too much fluids.........it is a fine line of balance
          that you are doing with all of Spunky's problems. You have many
          things to take into consideration...........

          Someone with more knowledge of diabetes will need to advise you........

          Good luck - Cathy

          In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "s_l_toth" <s_l_toth@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone. My cat Spunky is 17 years old, diabetic, and
          > borderline CRF. December 2007 he was diagnsed with HCM, although
          > not really symptomatic. His vet detected a heart murmer, so we had
          > an ultrasound done. We chose not to start treating him because of
          > his compromised kidneys until he became symptomatic.
          >
          > Several weeks ago, he was very reluctant about eating and started
          > showing some labored breathing so we took him to the vets. His x-
          > ray revealed that he had some fluid building up around his heart, so
          > he was given a shot of Lasix and put on Lasix (a very small dose)
          > twice a day. Thankfully he seems stable at the present time. My
          > vet suggested putting him on enalipril, but I don't want to do that
          > until we get another blood panel on him. But I hate stressing him
          > out with another visit because of his heart, so we were giving him
          > some time between visits. But we'll probably take him soon.
          >
          > Is it advisable to just go with the Lasix until he seems to need the
          > Ace inhibitor? His last BP was still good.
          >
          > Any thoughts on this? We do want to do the right thing, but are
          > trying to add medications only as they become necessary because of
          > the kidneys.

        • Sharyl