Re:Any info about enlarged heart in kittens greatly appreciated!!!

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2008
      Hi

      I am so sorry to hear of your kitten and his problems. You must be a special
      person to keep him and offer him a loving home. Vets are professionally
      obliged to recommend you take them back to the breeders, although I've never
      taken one of mine back and never will.

      I have three cats who were diagnosed early with heart disease as young
      kittens. The most important thing you can do is take your kitten for an ultrasound
      with a veterinary cardiologist as they will be able to diagnose exactly what
      the problem is. This will then allow you to begin treatment.

      HCM is extremely rare in such a young kitten, although my Trixi was
      diagnosed at 12 weeks. It is more likely to be a congenital heart defect and with
      treatment, kittens can do very well. Since he already has heavy breathing, it
      would suggest something he was born with and it is really important to get a
      diagnosis.

      Lyn

      www.furkids-uk.com