Re: goodbye Fritz

  • jamander33
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2008
      Michelle, I am so sorry to hear about Fritz. I know it is hard. I
      can very vividly remember the day that we took one of our other cats
      to the vet, knowing he was probably not coming back home. However, I
      do know it was the right thing to do, then and now. My heart goes
      certainly does go out to you. Amanda

      > Hi everyone,
      > Earlier today, I had my Fritz put to sleep. It was a difficult
      > decision, but it was something I had thought about a lot, and was
      at
      > least somewhat prepared for.
      >
      > Even though he was just diagnosed w/HCM last month, he had a hard
      time
      > with it, and was already in the advanced stages of the disease. He
      > nearly died that first trip to the ER, but after several days of
      > treatment, he came out of it. Then a few weeks later, his lungs
      > filled w/fluid again, and I had to take him back in. His dosages
      were
      > increased, and he seemed to do okay for another week.
      >
      > But for the last couple weeks, he's been having small episodes (at
      > least that's what I call them) where his resps increase a lot, and
      he
      > stops being active. I can always tell when it starts because his
      > whole attitude changes, and he'll stop eating and playing. For a
      > while, I was able to keep him pretty stable just by increasing his
      > lasix dose and waiting a few hours.
      >
      > I had already decided a few weeks back that if he were to go into
      > heart failure again, that I would put him to sleep. And when I
      woke
      > up this morning and found him lying next to my head, his breaths
      fast
      > and urgent, I had a feeling that this was it.
      >
      > I immediately gave him a double dose of lasix, but it didn't help.
      > His energy was down to nothing, and few minutes later, I found him
      > crouching next to the door, going to the bathroom because he didn't
      > have it in him to make it to the litterbox. He was still fairly
      alert
      > though, so I thought I'd give him another dose of lasix and wait,
      but
      > a few hours later, his resps were still fast and he still wasn't
      moving.

      > It took me a few tries to muster my own will to get him into the
      > carrier, and I kept myself together and made it to the vet's. Even
      > though I was 90% sure this would be the end, I made them send the
      > doctor in to talk w/me before I said yes. I asked for the doctor
      who
      > treated him during his first heart failure, and she thought I was
      > doing the right thing. She let me listen to his heart and lungs
      with
      > the stethoscope, and I could hear the crackling in his breaths.
      She