another ultrasound?

  • mrthhrndvs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
      I wrote in and my question is also with the enlarged heart, my vet
      said the only thing with another ultrasound would be for curiousity
      and I just heard that the x-rays showed that her heart was much more
      enlarged since 3 years ago in spite of being on Atenolol and Fortekor
      for all that time..

      Would it be foolish to request another ultrasound, she had a bit of
      breathing issue and we got lasix (for temporary use and to be weaned
      from) and then he was going to try another treatment as a diuretic
      support ( from bee balm?) nonetheless the results of the xrays have me
      concerned and would an ultrasound help figure out some more treatment.

      The life expectancy after the ultrasound in 2005 was 3 years which
      will be April...so what would be best..I am leaning to having the
      ultrasound done at the other clinic in case there is more that we can
      find out in order to try to extend her life.

      Marthe
    • toomany_kittys
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
        Marthe,
        My cat Luigi gets an ultrasound every 3 - 6 mths. An ultrasound will
        indicate any changes to the heart - left/right atrium sizes, the
        valves, the heart muscle, etc.. It can also help indicate whether the
        meds are having any effects on the heart, so the meds can be
        increased, changed, etc..
        I would definately request another ultrasound.
        El
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "mrthhrndvs" <mrthhrndvs@...>

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
          Hi Marthe

          I find the ultrasound more useful than the Xrays as it shows what is
          happening inside the heart. It helps the diagnosis and decides treatment. I would
          definitely request one.

          Lyn :)

          www.furkids-uk.com