Re: diagnosis of HCM last week

  • dshale1
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
      Joy, it's my understanding that if Sam only has a heart murmur but no
      other symptoms, such as exercise intolerance, he would be considered
      asymptomatic. Most cats are diagnosed because the vet hears a heart
      murmur.

      My vet told me not to put too much credence in what you read online
      about feline HCM because a lot of it is outdated and therefore
      scarier. He said he sees cats with HCM now, when it is controlled with
      medication, living near normal or normal lifespans.

      As for the diltiazem, I don't really know because my cat is on
      atenolol, but I thought some people have said there is a twice a day
      dose rather than three times a day. Also, you may be heartened to know
      that in some cases, diltiazem has been shown to reverse the thickening
      of the heart wall. I hope your Sam is one of the lucky ones.
      -Susan