Enlarged Heart, reduced heart chamber

  • mrthhrndvs
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2008
      Hi,

      I was a member and had a question about my cat Gina, we did the ultra
      sound and at that time we were told that she had a prognosis of 3
      years, that was in April 2005. She was placed on Atenolol and Fortekor
      and so far so good...I moved her away from dry food to a wet and now
      raw formula and her general condition physically has improved as she
      lost the extra weight with the diet change over the course of about 4
      months (gradual transition) 3 years is coming up in April and of
      course that's scary...We had a bit of a breathing episode congestion
      her activity level had decreased and she seemed to be congested but
      had been so good up to then ..Lasix was prescribe by a fill in vet (it
      was the weekend) and then when I did follow up with my own vet I asked
      for x-rays, he listened to her heart and said it sounded very
      good...she looked great and everything was excellent...gums etc....

      The x-ray results came this morning (or at least I got them then) He
      said he was surprised to see the increase in the size of the heart
      (not good) compared with the x-rays of 2005///Her weight is good and
      has remained stable and since receiving the lasix her activity has
      improved but of course he said we could try to keep her going although
      when she does go it will be sudden..Her life quality is good she goes
      into the back patio and looks at birds, sits up on the bunk bed climbs
      the ladder...eats very well and looks spectacular...

      Of course the problems is....

      Have there been any breakthroughs to help the heart that has thickened
      and the narrowing of the chambers inside the heart...She has had a
      murmer since we had her and is 9 years old (too young to go I think)

      Anyone had experience with bee pollen, dandelion leaf as
      diuretics...the lasix of course is excellent but there are side
      effects unless other things won't work....she is still on the fortekor
      and atenolol daily.

      Is there anything that will slow down the thickening of the heart any
      nutrients I know about taurine and Cq10 etc.

      She is such a sweet and pretty girl...
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
        Hiya

        It is scary to be told the heart has increased in size, and HCM is a
        progressive illness. It may be time to add more medication for Gina to continue to
        stabilise her. I wouldn't worry too much about the 3 yr diagnosis, I`m sure
        Gina has no intentions of listening to that!

        There are other drugs which can help as progression gets worse. Trixi
        started on Fortekor/Lasix and then we added Spiro and then Atenolol. Each time she
        stabilises on the new drug, and there is also Vetmedin to try. I realise it
        might not be best to keep adding tablets, but for my kittens, it is keeping
        them stable and outliving all their diagnosis.

        :) Lyn

        www.furkids-uk.com