Re:diagnosis of HCM last week

  • Sharyl Cline
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
      Joy, sorry you find yourself here. No one can say how long Sam has and this includes the vet. Everyone else is bored to tears with my Albert's story so I will keep it short.
      Albert started having problems eating. I thought he had a bad tooth and took him to the vet.
      1/06 dx with severe periodontal disease
      2/06 dx with advanced CRF and anemia when we took him in for dental surgery
      3/06 went into CHF and dx with severe HCM
      Vet didn't think he would live 48 hrs. He enjoyed another 1 1/2 yrs.

      He was on daily lasix and Benazepril a Ace Inhibitor. Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker. Here is a link to info on a similar calcium channel blocker.
      http://www.marvistavet.com/html/amlodipine_besylate.html
      Does Sam have high blood pressure?

      It would help if you would get a copy of all Sam's test results and post the info here. In fact you will want to start getting a hard copy of all of Sam's labs.

      You could take to your vet about the impact of timing with the meds. I'm retired so didn't have that problem.

      Many on this board also give CoQ10 and other supplements. Your goal is to keep Sam's heart as strong as possible.
      Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert

      My 10 1/2 yr old male cat Sam had a heart murmur detected in October
      followed by HCM diagnosed last Wed following an ultrasound before a
      teeth cleaning.

      Several questions, after reading a million internet articles with
      little information given to me by my vet except that his
      demise 'could be next week, 3 mos or possibly a year from now'. As
      you can imagine, it's been a highly distressing week for me.

      1) He has no symptoms besides the heart murmur. Does this make him
      asymptomatic with a possibility of even 5 years with medication, or
      does the heart murmur place him with the symptomatic cats making it 3
      mos to 3 years? (And yes, I realise that no one ever really knows).
      I'm having problems determining whether the heart murmur counts as a
      symptom.

      2) I can't do the diltiazem every 8 hours, as I work like other
      people. Sam's dosage will be more like 10/11 hours, then 5 1/2/7,
      then 7. How significant of a problem is this?

      3) One other problem according to the internet that could relate to
      Sam is the actual thickness of his heart wall (internet says mild
      cardiomyopathy has longer prognosis but thicker heart wall is more
      severe). The vet said something about how the measurement of his
      heart wall is almost an 8 when it should be under 5 (whatever that
      means), though he's 'seen one cat at a 10'. So this could be
      problematic possibly and maybe the reason the vet wouldn't say more
      than a year.

      Now, I know there are so many people on this site dealing with much
      worse HCM problems and that I'm very lucky that this was caught
      before actual heart failure. But I had counted on Sam for another 5-8
      years ideally and so I'm highly upset about this development and the
      vet's 'next week, 3 mos, who knows' attitude.

      Any feedback would be welcome and appreciated.

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
        Sharyl; we are not bored with Albert's story! It's a wonderful story which keeps us hoping for the best...Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: clinebay@...: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:24:55 -0800Subject: [FH] Re:diagnosis of HCM last week

        Joy, sorry you find yourself here. No one can say how long Sam has and this includes the vet. Everyone else is bored to tears with my Albert's story so I will keep it short.Albert started having problems eating. I thought he had a bad tooth and took him to the vet.1/06 dx with severe periodontal disease2/06 dx with advanced CRF and anemia when we took him in for dental surgery3/06 went into CHF and dx with severe HCMVet didn't think he would live 48 hrs. He enjoyed another 1 1/2 yrs. He was on daily lasix and Benazepril a Ace Inhibitor. Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker. Here is a link to info on a similar calcium channel blocker.http://www.marvistavet.com/html/amlodipine_besylate.htmlDoes Sam have high blood pressure? It would help if you would get a copy of all Sam's test results and post the info here. In fact you will want to start getting a hard copy of all of Sam's labs. You could take to your vet about the impact of timing with the meds. I'm retired so didn't have that problem.Many on this board also give CoQ10 and other supplements. Your goal is to keep Sam's heart as strong as possible.Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert----------------------------------------------------------My 10 1/2 yr old male cat Sam had a heart murmur detected in October followed by HCM diagnosed last Wed following an ultrasound before a teeth cleaning.Several questions, after reading a million internet articles with little information given to me by my vet except that his demise 'could be next week, 3 mos or possibly a year from now'. As you can imagine, it's been a highly distressing week for me. 1) He has no symptoms besides the heart murmur. Does this make him asymptomatic with a possibility of even 5 years with medication, or does the heart murmur place him with the symptomatic cats making it 3 mos to 3 years? (And yes, I realise that no one ever really knows). I'm having problems determining whether the heart murmur counts as a symptom.2) I can't do the diltiazem every 8 hours, as I work like other people. Sam's dosage will be more like 10/11 hours, then 5 1/2/7, then 7. How significant of a problem is this?3) One other problem according to the internet that could relate to Sam is the actual thickness of his heart wall (internet says mild cardiomyopathy has longer prognosis but thicker heart wall is more severe). The vet said something about how the measurement of his heart wall is almost an 8 when it should be under 5 (whatever that means), though he's 'seen one cat at a 10'. So this could be problematic possibly and maybe the reason the vet wouldn't say more than a year.Now, I know there are so many people on this site dealing with much worse HCM problems and that I'm very lucky that this was caught before actual heart failure. But I had counted on Sam for another 5-8 years ideally and so I'm highly upset about this development and the vet's 'next week, 3 mos, who knows' attitude.Any feedback would be welcome and appreciated.---------------------------------Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • dshale1
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
          Joy, it's my understanding that if Sam only has a heart murmur but no
          other symptoms, such as exercise intolerance, he would be considered
          asymptomatic. Most cats are diagnosed because the vet hears a heart
          murmur.

          My vet told me not to put too much credence in what you read online
          about feline HCM because a lot of it is outdated and therefore
          scarier. He said he sees cats with HCM now, when it is controlled with
          medication, living near normal or normal lifespans.

          As for the diltiazem, I don't really know because my cat is on
          atenolol, but I thought some people have said there is a twice a day
          dose rather than three times a day. Also, you may be heartened to know
          that in some cases, diltiazem has been shown to reverse the thickening
          of the heart wall. I hope your Sam is one of the lucky ones.
          -Susan