Re: 16 week old kitten w/ possible heart condition

  • goldengirlgene
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2008
      There's an excellent cardiology practice near Albany, NY. Dr. Joel
      Edwards and Dr. Aaron Wey (sp.?). I don't know where you're located,
      but Dr. Edwards also visits other vet practices in the area, including
      Western Massachusetts.

      Sorry to hear about your kitten. It's important to get an accurate
      diagnosis. If you want more information, let me know.

      Best wishes, Marcia
    • rainycat@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
        Did your reg vet at least take xrays? I'm not familiar w/kittens with heart issues, but if their was fluid in his lungs this would show on xray & at least you could start tx that to stabalize him until you can get an ultrasound done, if his heart was enlarged this may show on the xray too. It doesn't sound like the clavamox is doing anything (this is an antibiotic) perhaps this was prescribed if they think it is pneumonia. Hopefully somone on the board has more experience w/kittens with this. So sorry to hear that you & Barney are experiencing this..

        --

        rainy
        From: "lorieawhite" <lorieawhite@...>
        Hello - New here and glad to have found this group. A lot of scary
        stress with our baby Barney.

        A week after we brought our kitten Barney to the vet for 1st series
        of vaccinations (at 8 weeks old). That week with no warning, his
        breathing became raspy and he was lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink or
        go potty w/o help. He recovered within 24 hours. We brought him to
        vet who diagnosed him with a heart murmer and prescribed Clavamox for
        congestions and crinkly sound we heard as he inhaled (could hear with
        ear up against his body). His breathing also seemed strained-shallow
        and faster than before. After being on Clavomox for a month, his
        breathing didn't improve (still heard crinkly paper and saw it took
        more work for him to breathe). One night after giving Clavomox he
        started open mouthed breathing but it didn't last long. Brought him
        to vet who suggested he might have a cardiac disease and would need
        ultrasounds and x-rays. We brought him home and he started having
        episodes that were awful and three times we thought "this is it". He
        was breathing open mouthed, tongue sticking out, white bluish gums
        and tongue, he would walk and collapse and pant on his side. A few
        time would look like he was hacking up a hairball, foam coming out of
        his mouth. We think the three episodes we saw were each triggered
        by: climbing the stairs, playing with another cat, chasing a toy.
        Between these episodes he eats, drinks water, is alert and appears
        fine.

        Our angst is whether to drive almost 1 1/2 hours away to get an
        ultraound done (no one near us has equipment to fit kitten, except
        Cornell U. which charges $600+. The place further away is 1/2 the
        price. At this point our vet gave us a very poor prognosis. Said he
        had a very small chance of having asthma and more than likely had a
        heart condition. Our hope would be to get the ultrasound and get
        meds for palliative care since it sounds like there is no cure.
        We're afraid the car ride would stress him out too much and he could
        die on the way.

        Should we risk getting him to the ultrasound? Or just try to make him
        comfortable in our own way? When he's had these attacks my husband
        and I have both been talking to him, stroking his head, trying to
        keep him calm which I think helps but I don't know. This is awful.
        We both break down crying thinking he's not going to make it. I hate
        thinking he is scared and in pain. We are having a baby soon and
        can't afford much more than the ultrasound that would at least
        hopefully tell us exactly what he has and hopefully give us meds to
        make him more at ease.

        Thanks.

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
          It sounds as if Barney needs to see an emergency vet today from his
          condition. I would be very concerned about pneumonia as well. He needs a definite
          diagnosis and definitely that fluid needs to come off his lungs. That could be a
          drain.

          I`m so sorry to hear Barney is worse. Please see a vet today and I`m
          thinking of you. I also had 16 wk heart kittens, but none were in heart failure at
          diagnosis.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-uk.com