my moo cat has just been diagnosed with heart failure..need advice on food

  • anenchantedjourney
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      i've just had this devestating news. he's home and on diuretics for 2
      weeks til he sees the vet again, prob for heart meds, but i dont know
      what to feed him.. there doesnt seem to be a prescription diet for
      heart failure.. he is usually on diet to help prevent kidney stones as
      he has had those. the vet has said to feed him any cat food to make him
      eat again, but i want to know more about special diets dor heart
      failure.

      thanks, bluebell x
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
        Bluebell,

        Welcome to the list though I'm sorry you had to join us!

        Cats with heart conditions don't require low-sodium food as a rule. The
        most important thing is to keep them eating, and where possible, make sure
        they are getting a high-quality diet, preferably canned. But, the main
        thing is to make sure they are eating.

        Many of us on the list are feeding our kitties regular cat food,
        supplementing with things like Coenzyme Q10, taurine and L-carnitine, among
        other things.

        Tell us more about your kitty. How is he doing?

        Lisa