Nervous about new job

  • Catherine Browning
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      I'm writing this here because I don't really have anyone in my "real
      life" I could say this to, without either a: sounding like a real nut,
      or b: possibly making them feel guilty.

      I'm starting a new job tomorrow -- had the training today. It's just
      market research, it's not hard, but it means that weekends I'm going
      to be away from my furbabies for 8 hours on Saturdays, and 7 hours on
      Sundays, plus 4 hours on some weekdays. I'll only be about 20 minutes
      walk away, but I'll be away, and it's the first time in a long time
      that I'll be working weekends away from home.

      As some of you may know, last year I was a substitute teacher. I'm
      going to be doing that again this year too, so that means that some
      weekdays, I could be away from 8am to about 9pm.

      I haven't been away from my heartkitties for so long since they've
      been born 5 1/2 years ago, and they were born with this condition, so
      they are sicker now than they were then. But because they are sick, I
      need the extra money ... but on the other hand, what's money if I'm
      missing out on spending precious time with them?

      There is no good solution ... I have to do this job, I know this, and
      I'm not even worried about how good I'll be at it ... just about the
      time spent away from my cats. Am I totally nuts? Because it feels a
      bit that way!

      Just had to get all this out there, to people who I hope will
      understand ... and if you don't, then it means that I *am* nuts and
      I'll try to just "get over it"!

      Thanks for reading this late-night rant :)

      Catherine and ...
      Kitty (non-HCM mother), Buttons-Angel, Patch (5/6 murmur), Claude (4/6
      murmur) and Tuppenny (3/6 murmur).
    • Vickie
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
        I know it's hard, I use to pray everyday when I came home I didn't find Baby dead, or real sick. After a lot of time went by those daily feeling went away. I'm gone M-F 745-5.
        If you a 20 min walk away from home, you can cut it down if you have a car, and go home
        on a break or lunch, that will help easy your mind.

        I know making money to keep them alive, and you not being home sucks, but think of it this
        way, you will enjoy the time you do have even more. I don't do much on my days off, and when I go shopping, I get when I need and back home. Why I don't know Baby is sleeping, wouldn't care that I'm home to spend time w/him, but I'm there!

        Not sure if you do already, but one way to save a lot of money on meds is not to buy it from the vet!!!

        You can email me if you like, I now what you feeling, I hate leaving even when I didn't have a sick cat. But I've had one sick cat after another for the last 7ish yrs, no break.

        Vickie

        ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats!www.vas-awareness.org No shots in the SCRUFFwww.catshots.com
        In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02, Smudge 5/01/04

      • Lisa Clarizia
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
          You're not crazy at all. I think every one of us feels this. I know with
          Baby Boy I used to have anxiety attacks, worrying about how he was when I
          was at work. More than once I sent my mom over to check on him, and bless
          her, she'd drive the ten miles there and back whenever I asked.

          Now, with Lilly, it's a bit easier because she's still asymptomatic. But,
          as Vickie said, there's still that sense of relief when I come home and find
          her on the stairs, waiting to greet me.

          Lisa