question for savannah owner

  • C. Halligan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hi, last question I promise.

      I was wondering about the individual who has a savannah heart kitty. I was reading about this breed and it is quite an interesting kitty. My questions of interest are what do you feed him/her? What does he/she/ weigh? And I believe you stated the generation but I could not remember? Do you have pictures you can send? I'm not thinking about adopting one but have a general interest in the really large kitty breeds. I'm always amazed at how large some cats can grow. My kitties are within the 9-11pound range. One of my girls is a maine coon but is really small for even a girl (I was told this is one of the reasons she is not 'show quality' although she is a star to me). Does anyone else have a really big kitty (without the help of being overweight due to food) such as over 20pounds? I've read savannahs can grow as big as some medium size dogs?!? Would love to hear from anyone about this. Thanks again and take care of yourself and those kitties. Cindy

    • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hi Cindy,

        I have an F2 Savannah named Oliver. His weight is now about 23 lbs. but
        before his illness he was about 28 lbs. and due to his heart disease and the
        diuretics, he has lost weight. He stands about 17" tall and is about the size
        of a bobcat when you compare him to a regular cat. His feet are big too. He
        is known to be quite a remarkable representation for his breed. His
        cardiologist is amazed at how well he is doing with his heart illness and compares
        his tolerance to that of a dog.

        To answer your question as to what he eats, he eats regular cat food and I
        supplement that with raw beef and poultry. He loves to knaw on a raw
        chicken leg -- bone and all. When raw, the bone is soft and safe. You can see
        him on his breeders website, that is, _http://www.junglecats.com_
        (http://www.junglecats.com) and if you click on the "Enter" and then scroll down you will
        see a cat with a blue background getting his leg measured. That's Oliver.
        Click on "Gallery," and scroll down for more photos.

        This boy is my "child with fur" and the love of my life as all our kitties
        are to us. If I can answer any other questions about the Savannah, I'd be
        happy to just let me know. Here's a special pic for you:

        Hugs,

        Marisa