Re: Worried about Josies Breathing

  • psychoforkaatz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
      Ok, now her resp rate has increased in the last 2 hours from 40 to 75.
      But she doesnt seem distressed, she just climbed on the coffee table
      to lick all the italian dressing from my salad.

      I wonder if she is constipated as the times she had strokes/neuro
      episodes,they started with faster resp rate and she was constipated.
      After she pooped, everything stablized.

      Other than a bit more lethargy, she is acting normal.

      Kendall

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "psychoforkaatz"
      <psychoforkaatz@...> wrote:

      > Josie has been doing really well lately except we have had to keep
      > playing with her lasix dose due to her resp rate going up and down.
      > Her normal seems to be around 32 but a couple weeks ago got as high as
      > 60. We gave her some extra lasix (normal dose is 5mg BID lately). The
      > vet actually advised against any extra lasix but I did an extra 5mg
      > dose for a few days anyway. We got her back down to mostly normal with
      > some spikes up to 39.
      >
      > She is now breathing faster again, although not very, 57 at highest
      > but with extra lasix averaging 43. Today she is huffing when she
      > sleeps along with the 43 resp and just now there was a very short,
      > slight cough. I am wondering if this might be more than fluid build
      > up, such as a clot in the lung. Although the lasix does seem to
      > stablize things, maybe I just need to keep her on a 3xdaily dose
      > permanently. I have had to take her off her aspirin since xmas due to
      > going into a heart study. Her resp rate had started increasing prior
      > to that so I figured it was fluid and not clot related. If it had
      > began after stopping her aspirin I might be more worried. The study is
      > Thursday and I will give her her aspirin dose as soon as the tests are
      > over (before we even drive the two hours back).
      >
      > I dont want to overreact to a little cough, we get them around here
      > all the time, I believe a few of my cats have kennel cough (yes cats
      > can get it too and it just goes away on its own but often comes
      > back)and they have coughing fits on and off. Josie has not coughed
      > since June 07 and I dont know if she ever did prior to that. She went
      > down to pee right after and then ate a bit off canned food I offered.
      > She seems normal otherwise.
      >
      > She has had occasional breath sounds when having higher resp rates but
      > never the huffing sound before. I think it only happens when she gets
      > in a deep sleep. I say her name and she stops.
      >
      > I guess I am just looking for confirmation that she is not in distress
      > and just keep tweaking the lasix a little til her resps come down,
      > unless she gets worse. Any comments or encouragement would be great. I
      > am not a panicker but do like to stay on top of the slightest changes.
      >
      > Kendall & Josie

    • psychoforkaatz
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
        Ok, crises averted I think. In the last hour her resp rate has
        decreased to 38 then 33 as of 12 am. I think the extra lasix did the
        job, maybe a couple other things I did too. Anyway, so much for
        listening to my vet, from now on I will go by my gut on lasix use, as
        I sortof did anyway. I think it is necessary for Josie to have 5mg 3x
        daily rather than 2 to keep her stable and stop these ups and downs,
        contrary to my vet not wanting to "rock the boat".

        And in reply to our new member Fritz and his mom, this is how we cope.
        We panic, we ask questions and advice, we go by our gut and hopefully
        we get thru it. We dont always listen to our vets as they are not
        always the best informed. We will all lose our babies one day but
        noone can say when and Josie definitely says an enthusiastic "Not
        Yet!" I tell her daily I am in this fight with her always and she
        knows that and a cats will to live is the most amazing thing. If we
        give them our love and tell them to fight and we will fight alongside
        it is THE most powerful medicine, along with the regular meds and
        supplements we all give. I have done my share of crying and thought I
        was losing her 3 or more times (possible heart attack and 3 strokes so
        far) and I no longer complain about how stubborn she is. Josie will go
        when she is damn good and ready and not a second before, whether it is
        a clot tomorrow or renal failure or cancer 10 years from now (she is
        12 now). I am doing everything I possibly can and have learned so much
        here and from my own research after losing a heart kitty misdiagnosed
        with asthma a year ago. Someone said knowledge is power and that has
        always been my motto. At least I know when it is her time, whatever
        takes her on to her next journey, I will have done all I can for her
        in this one. And she is so spoiled rotten with love and attention the
        other cats get jealous, so I know not one moment will be wasted. And
        it also makes me more aware of the other cats and watching for signs
        of illness. Plus they get extra attention too, they insist.

        So arm yourself with knowledge, be your cats advocate, and if your vet
        isnt onboard, find another one. Cats have no set expiration dates.

        Kendall & Josie (again resting comfortably, but will get more sleep
        tonight then I will!)

        <psychoforkaatz@...> wrote:

        > Ok, now her resp rate has increased in the last 2 hours from 40 to 75.
        > But she doesnt seem distressed, she just climbed on the coffee table
        > to lick all the italian dressing from my salad.
        >
        > I wonder if she is constipated as the times she had strokes/neuro
        > episodes,they started with faster resp rate and she was constipated.
        > After she pooped, everything stablized.
        >
        > Other than a bit more lethargy, she is acting normal.
        >
        > Kendall
        >

        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "psychoforkaatz"
        > <psychoforkaatz@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Josie has been doing really well lately except we have had to keep
        > > playing with her lasix dose due to her resp rate going up and down.
        > > Her normal seems to be around 32 but a couple weeks ago got as high as
        > > 60. We gave her some extra lasix (normal dose is 5mg BID lately). The
        > > vet actually advised against any extra lasix but I did an extra 5mg
        > > dose for a few days anyway. We got her back down to mostly normal with
        > > some spikes up to 39.
        > >
        > > She is now breathing faster again, although not very, 57 at highest
        > > but with extra lasix averaging 43. Today she is huffing when she
        > > sleeps along with the 43 resp and just now there was a very short,
        > > slight cough. I am wondering if this might be more than fluid build
        > > up, such as a clot in the lung. Although the lasix does seem to
        > > stablize things, maybe I just need to keep her on a 3xdaily dose
        > > permanently. I have had to take her off her aspirin since xmas due to
        > > going into a heart study. Her resp rate had started increasing prior
        > > to that so I figured it was fluid and not clot related. If it had
        > > began after stopping her aspirin I might be more worried. The study is
        > > Thursday and I will give her her aspirin dose as soon as the tests are
        > > over (before we even drive the two hours back).
        > >
        > > I dont want to overreact to a little cough, we get them around here
        > > all the time, I believe a few of my cats have kennel cough (yes cats
        > > can get it too and it just goes away on its own but often comes
        > > back)and they have coughing fits on and off. Josie has not coughed
        > > since June 07 and I dont know if she ever did prior to that. She went
        > > down to pee right after and then ate a bit off canned food I offered.
        > > She seems normal otherwise.
        > >
        > > She has had occasional breath sounds when having higher resp rates but
        > > never the huffing sound before. I think it only happens when she gets
        > > in a deep sleep. I say her name and she stops.
        > >
        > > I guess I am just looking for confirmation that she is not in distress
        > > and just keep tweaking the lasix a little til her resps come down,
        > > unless she gets worse. Any comments or encouragement would be great. I
        > > am not a panicker but do like to stay on top of the slightest changes.
        > >
        > > Kendall & Josie

      • psychoforkaatz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
          Guess I spoke too soon! her resp rate is up again. Guess who wont be
          sleeping at all tonight?!

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
            Hi Kendall

            When the lasix didn't stop Trixi's fast breathing, my cardio added
            Spironolactone and then the breathing rate was just fine. Cats also breathe more
            quickly when hot or stressed and if she has a cough/cold, she will be both.

            Sounds as if your extra lasix has done the trick, but it is hard on the
            kidneys, so might be worth mentioning it to your vet. When Trixi's lasix goes up,
            she needs a potassium supplement.

            Lyn :)

            www.furkids-uk.com

          • Lisa Clarizia
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
              Hi Kendall,

              I agree with Lyn -- the combination of spiro and lasix really helped my Baby
              Boy. Divided doses (i.e 3x a day instead of 2x a day) can be better for cats
              with refractory fluid as well, if you can manage the dosing schedule.

              As for increasing the lasix -- of course you don't want to give more than
              is needed, but sometimes it's what you have to do because sometimes they
              need more.

              The cough doesn't really sound like a clot in the lungs, a pulmonary clot is
              much more likely to be a life-threatening event. She probably just has a
              lot of fluid right now, which does happen with these little guys -- keep a
              close eye on her and if her breathing stays high for a long period, she may
              need to see the vet.

              Lisa

            • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                I concur here. My Oliver takes lasix and spiro plus Tumil-K (potassium
                supplement).

                Marisa and Oliver

              • psychoforkaatz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                  Thanks for the info Lyn, I will ask my vet about spiro and potassium
                  although will see what her blood work from the heart study on thursday
                  says about potassium levels and kidneys. Josie's resp kept going up
                  and down all night and still is a bit high (42) this am (well 2pm is
                  our morning)before her morning dose of lasix.

                  Josie is not stressed or hot and she doesnt have a cold, I think the
                  cough was due to the fluid congestion and it hasnt repeated. This is a
                  very laid back cat, been thru alot and doesnt stress easily.

                  Maybe the cardio at the study will be able to give me a few words of
                  advice for my vet since my vet is not very informed. What other heart
                  meds is/was Trixi on and was the spiro in addition to them?

                  Kendall

                  -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, elfinmyst@... wrote:

                  > Hi Kendall
                  >
                  > When the lasix didn't stop Trixi's fast breathing, my cardio added
                  > Spironolactone and then the breathing rate was just fine. Cats also
                  breathe more
                  > quickly when hot or stressed and if she has a cough/cold, she will
                  be both.

                  > Sounds as if your extra lasix has done the trick, but it is hard on
                  the
                  > kidneys, so might be worth mentioning it to your vet. When Trixi's
                  lasix goes up,
                  > she needs a potassium supplement.
                  >
                  > Lyn :)
                  >
                  > www.furkids-uk.com

                • psychoforkaatz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Thanks Lisa, we are going to continue the lasix 3 times a day for now
                    and she goes to the heart study for a full work up on thursday so
                    hopefully will get some answers, and maybe a bit more info than my
                    regular vet can provide.

                    Is spiro expensive?

                    The only reason I worry about a clot is as the lasix didnt seem to
                    work as well as before and she has had possible clot issues already
                    and had to go off her aspirin for two weeks for the heart study.

                    She is doing pretty well this morning but the resp rate is still a bit
                    higher than I would like.

                    Kendall

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Clarizia" <lclarizia@...>

                  • elfinmyst@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                      Hi kendall

                      Trixi is on

                      Fortekor 2.5mg daily
                      Atenolol 1/4 tablet
                      Spiro 1/4 tablet morning
                      Frucimide 1/4 tablet morning and evening
                      Kaminox 1/2 ml twice a day
                      CoQ /Carnitine supplement.

                      :) Lyn

                      www.furkids-uk.com

                    • psychoforkaatz
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                        Thanks Lyn,

                        What does Fortekor do? and what is kaminox?

                      • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                          In a message dated 1/8/2008 4:10:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                          psychoforkaatz@... writes:

                          Is spiro expensive?

                          Just short of $40 for a bottle of 100 tablets from 1-800-Pet Meds.

                          Marisa and Oliver

                        • elfinmyst@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
                            Fortekor is an ACE inhibitor which I think stops the heart working so hard
                            and helps it function. Kaminox is a potassium supplement with some vitamins
                            with it and comes as a dropper bottle. Mine use it because the lasix and spiro
                            strip potassium from the blood and they become deficient in it.

                            Lyn :)

                            www.furkids-uk.com