Worried about Josies Breathing

  • psychoforkaatz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
      Josie has been doing really well lately except we have had to keep
      playing with her lasix dose due to her resp rate going up and down.
      Her normal seems to be around 32 but a couple weeks ago got as high as
      60. We gave her some extra lasix (normal dose is 5mg BID lately). The
      vet actually advised against any extra lasix but I did an extra 5mg
      dose for a few days anyway. We got her back down to mostly normal with
      some spikes up to 39.

      She is now breathing faster again, although not very, 57 at highest
      but with extra lasix averaging 43. Today she is huffing when she
      sleeps along with the 43 resp and just now there was a very short,
      slight cough. I am wondering if this might be more than fluid build
      up, such as a clot in the lung. Although the lasix does seem to
      stablize things, maybe I just need to keep her on a 3xdaily dose
      permanently. I have had to take her off her aspirin since xmas due to
      going into a heart study. Her resp rate had started increasing prior
      to that so I figured it was fluid and not clot related. If it had
      began after stopping her aspirin I might be more worried. The study is
      Thursday and I will give her her aspirin dose as soon as the tests are
      over (before we even drive the two hours back).

      I dont want to overreact to a little cough, we get them around here
      all the time, I believe a few of my cats have kennel cough (yes cats
      can get it too and it just goes away on its own but often comes
      back)and they have coughing fits on and off. Josie has not coughed
      since June 07 and I dont know if she ever did prior to that. She went
      down to pee right after and then ate a bit off canned food I offered.
      She seems normal otherwise.

      She has had occasional breath sounds when having higher resp rates but
      never the huffing sound before. I think it only happens when she gets
      in a deep sleep. I say her name and she stops.

      I guess I am just looking for confirmation that she is not in distress
      and just keep tweaking the lasix a little til her resps come down,
      unless she gets worse. Any comments or encouragement would be great. I
      am not a panicker but do like to stay on top of the slightest changes.

      Kendall & Josie
    • psychoforkaatz
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
        Ok, now her resp rate has increased in the last 2 hours from 40 to 75.
        But she doesnt seem distressed, she just climbed on the coffee table
        to lick all the italian dressing from my salad.

        I wonder if she is constipated as the times she had strokes/neuro
        episodes,they started with faster resp rate and she was constipated.
        After she pooped, everything stablized.

        Other than a bit more lethargy, she is acting normal.

        Kendall

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "psychoforkaatz"
        <psychoforkaatz@...> wrote:

        > Josie has been doing really well lately except we have had to keep
        > playing with her lasix dose due to her resp rate going up and down.
        > Her normal seems to be around 32 but a couple weeks ago got as high as
        > 60. We gave her some extra lasix (normal dose is 5mg BID lately). The
        > vet actually advised against any extra lasix but I did an extra 5mg
        > dose for a few days anyway. We got her back down to mostly normal with
        > some spikes up to 39.
        >
        > She is now breathing faster again, although not very, 57 at highest
        > but with extra lasix averaging 43. Today she is huffing when she
        > sleeps along with the 43 resp and just now there was a very short,
        > slight cough. I am wondering if this might be more than fluid build
        > up, such as a clot in the lung. Although the lasix does seem to
        > stablize things, maybe I just need to keep her on a 3xdaily dose
        > permanently. I have had to take her off her aspirin since xmas due to
        > going into a heart study. Her resp rate had started increasing prior
        > to that so I figured it was fluid and not clot related. If it had
        > began after stopping her aspirin I might be more worried. The study is
        > Thursday and I will give her her aspirin dose as soon as the tests are
        > over (before we even drive the two hours back).
        >
        > I dont want to overreact to a little cough, we get them around here
        > all the time, I believe a few of my cats have kennel cough (yes cats
        > can get it too and it just goes away on its own but often comes
        > back)and they have coughing fits on and off. Josie has not coughed
        > since June 07 and I dont know if she ever did prior to that. She went
        > down to pee right after and then ate a bit off canned food I offered.
        > She seems normal otherwise.
        >
        > She has had occasional breath sounds when having higher resp rates but
        > never the huffing sound before. I think it only happens when she gets
        > in a deep sleep. I say her name and she stops.
        >
        > I guess I am just looking for confirmation that she is not in distress
        > and just keep tweaking the lasix a little til her resps come down,
        > unless she gets worse. Any comments or encouragement would be great. I
        > am not a panicker but do like to stay on top of the slightest changes.
        >
        > Kendall & Josie

      • psychoforkaatz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
          Ok, crises averted I think. In the last hour her resp rate has
          decreased to 38 then 33 as of 12 am. I think the extra lasix did the
          job, maybe a couple other things I did too. Anyway, so much for
          listening to my vet, from now on I will go by my gut on lasix use, as
          I sortof did anyway. I think it is necessary for Josie to have 5mg 3x
          daily rather than 2 to keep her stable and stop these ups and downs,
          contrary to my vet not wanting to "rock the boat".

          And in reply to our new member Fritz and his mom, this is how we cope.
          We panic, we ask questions and advice, we go by our gut and hopefully
          we get thru it. We dont always listen to our vets as they are not
          always the best informed. We will all lose our babies one day but
          noone can say when and Josie definitely says an enthusiastic "Not
          Yet!" I tell her daily I am in this fight with her always and she
          knows that and a cats will to live is the most amazing thing. If we
          give them our love and tell them to fight and we will fight alongside
          it is THE most powerful medicine, along with the regular meds and
          supplements we all give. I have done my share of crying and thought I
          was losing her 3 or more times (possible heart attack and 3 strokes so
          far) and I no longer complain about how stubborn she is. Josie will go
          when she is damn good and ready and not a second before, whether it is
          a clot tomorrow or renal failure or cancer 10 years from now (she is
          12 now). I am doing everything I possibly can and have learned so much
          here and from my own research after losing a heart kitty misdiagnosed
          with asthma a year ago. Someone said knowledge is power and that has
          always been my motto. At least I know when it is her time, whatever
          takes her on to her next journey, I will have done all I can for her
          in this one. And she is so spoiled rotten with love and attention the
          other cats get jealous, so I know not one moment will be wasted. And
          it also makes me more aware of the other cats and watching for signs
          of illness. Plus they get extra attention too, they insist.

          So arm yourself with knowledge, be your cats advocate, and if your vet
          isnt onboard, find another one. Cats have no set expiration dates.

          Kendall & Josie (again resting comfortably, but will get more sleep
          tonight then I will!)

          <psychoforkaatz@...> wrote:

          > Ok, now her resp rate has increased in the last 2 hours from 40 to 75.
          > But she doesnt seem distressed, she just climbed on the coffee table
          > to lick all the italian dressing from my salad.
          >
          > I wonder if she is constipated as the times she had strokes/neuro
          > episodes,they started with faster resp rate and she was constipated.
          > After she pooped, everything stablized.
          >
          > Other than a bit more lethargy, she is acting normal.
          >
          > Kendall
          >

          > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "psychoforkaatz"
          > <psychoforkaatz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Josie has been doing really well lately except we have had to keep
          > > playing with her lasix dose due to her resp rate going up and down.
          > > Her normal seems to be around 32 but a couple weeks ago got as high as
          > > 60. We gave her some extra lasix (normal dose is 5mg BID lately). The
          > > vet actually advised against any extra lasix but I did an extra 5mg
          > > dose for a few days anyway. We got her back down to mostly normal with
          > > some spikes up to 39.
          > >
          > > She is now breathing faster again, although not very, 57 at highest
          > > but with extra lasix averaging 43. Today she is huffing when she
          > > sleeps along with the 43 resp and just now there was a very short,
          > > slight cough. I am wondering if this might be more than fluid build
          > > up, such as a clot in the lung. Although the lasix does seem to
          > > stablize things, maybe I just need to keep her on a 3xdaily dose
          > > permanently. I have had to take her off her aspirin since xmas due to
          > > going into a heart study. Her resp rate had started increasing prior
          > > to that so I figured it was fluid and not clot related. If it had
          > > began after stopping her aspirin I might be more worried. The study is
          > > Thursday and I will give her her aspirin dose as soon as the tests are
          > > over (before we even drive the two hours back).
          > >
          > > I dont want to overreact to a little cough, we get them around here
          > > all the time, I believe a few of my cats have kennel cough (yes cats
          > > can get it too and it just goes away on its own but often comes
          > > back)and they have coughing fits on and off. Josie has not coughed
          > > since June 07 and I dont know if she ever did prior to that. She went
          > > down to pee right after and then ate a bit off canned food I offered.
          > > She seems normal otherwise.
          > >
          > > She has had occasional breath sounds when having higher resp rates but
          > > never the huffing sound before. I think it only happens when she gets
          > > in a deep sleep. I say her name and she stops.
          > >
          > > I guess I am just looking for confirmation that she is not in distress
          > > and just keep tweaking the lasix a little til her resps come down,
          > > unless she gets worse. Any comments or encouragement would be great. I
          > > am not a panicker but do like to stay on top of the slightest changes.
          > >
          > > Kendall & Josie

        • psychoforkaatz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
            Guess I spoke too soon! her resp rate is up again. Guess who wont be
            sleeping at all tonight?!

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
              Hi Kendall

              When the lasix didn't stop Trixi's fast breathing, my cardio added
              Spironolactone and then the breathing rate was just fine. Cats also breathe more
              quickly when hot or stressed and if she has a cough/cold, she will be both.

              Sounds as if your extra lasix has done the trick, but it is hard on the
              kidneys, so might be worth mentioning it to your vet. When Trixi's lasix goes up,
              she needs a potassium supplement.

              Lyn :)

              www.furkids-uk.com

            • Lisa Clarizia
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                Hi Kendall,

                I agree with Lyn -- the combination of spiro and lasix really helped my Baby
                Boy. Divided doses (i.e 3x a day instead of 2x a day) can be better for cats
                with refractory fluid as well, if you can manage the dosing schedule.

                As for increasing the lasix -- of course you don't want to give more than
                is needed, but sometimes it's what you have to do because sometimes they
                need more.

                The cough doesn't really sound like a clot in the lungs, a pulmonary clot is
                much more likely to be a life-threatening event. She probably just has a
                lot of fluid right now, which does happen with these little guys -- keep a
                close eye on her and if her breathing stays high for a long period, she may
                need to see the vet.

                Lisa

              • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                  I concur here. My Oliver takes lasix and spiro plus Tumil-K (potassium
                  supplement).

                  Marisa and Oliver

                • psychoforkaatz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Thanks for the info Lyn, I will ask my vet about spiro and potassium
                    although will see what her blood work from the heart study on thursday
                    says about potassium levels and kidneys. Josie's resp kept going up
                    and down all night and still is a bit high (42) this am (well 2pm is
                    our morning)before her morning dose of lasix.

                    Josie is not stressed or hot and she doesnt have a cold, I think the
                    cough was due to the fluid congestion and it hasnt repeated. This is a
                    very laid back cat, been thru alot and doesnt stress easily.

                    Maybe the cardio at the study will be able to give me a few words of
                    advice for my vet since my vet is not very informed. What other heart
                    meds is/was Trixi on and was the spiro in addition to them?

                    Kendall

                    -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, elfinmyst@... wrote:

                    > Hi Kendall
                    >
                    > When the lasix didn't stop Trixi's fast breathing, my cardio added
                    > Spironolactone and then the breathing rate was just fine. Cats also
                    breathe more
                    > quickly when hot or stressed and if she has a cough/cold, she will
                    be both.

                    > Sounds as if your extra lasix has done the trick, but it is hard on
                    the
                    > kidneys, so might be worth mentioning it to your vet. When Trixi's
                    lasix goes up,
                    > she needs a potassium supplement.
                    >
                    > Lyn :)
                    >
                    > www.furkids-uk.com

                  • psychoforkaatz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                      Thanks Lisa, we are going to continue the lasix 3 times a day for now
                      and she goes to the heart study for a full work up on thursday so
                      hopefully will get some answers, and maybe a bit more info than my
                      regular vet can provide.

                      Is spiro expensive?

                      The only reason I worry about a clot is as the lasix didnt seem to
                      work as well as before and she has had possible clot issues already
                      and had to go off her aspirin for two weeks for the heart study.

                      She is doing pretty well this morning but the resp rate is still a bit
                      higher than I would like.

                      Kendall

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Clarizia" <lclarizia@...>

                    • elfinmyst@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                        Hi kendall

                        Trixi is on

                        Fortekor 2.5mg daily
                        Atenolol 1/4 tablet
                        Spiro 1/4 tablet morning
                        Frucimide 1/4 tablet morning and evening
                        Kaminox 1/2 ml twice a day
                        CoQ /Carnitine supplement.

                        :) Lyn

                        www.furkids-uk.com

                      • psychoforkaatz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                          Thanks Lyn,

                          What does Fortekor do? and what is kaminox?

                        • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                            In a message dated 1/8/2008 4:10:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                            psychoforkaatz@... writes:

                            Is spiro expensive?

                            Just short of $40 for a bottle of 100 tablets from 1-800-Pet Meds.

                            Marisa and Oliver

                          • elfinmyst@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
                              Fortekor is an ACE inhibitor which I think stops the heart working so hard
                              and helps it function. Kaminox is a potassium supplement with some vitamins
                              with it and comes as a dropper bottle. Mine use it because the lasix and spiro
                              strip potassium from the blood and they become deficient in it.

                              Lyn :)

                              www.furkids-uk.com